TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    (you will be asked to complete an immersive video based Situational Judgement Test (SJT)

is a video one different that the usual one?
    It'll be watching videos which form the scenarios that the questions are based on - I assume this is A&O?

Reactions: GXA123

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Curious for people's thoughts on the Sidley Q 'In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?' (250w). The wordcount is quite tight, so it's difficult to properly substantiate more than maybe 3 personal qualities. That said, of course there are more than 3 qualities worth mentioning - is it appropriate to rattle off some of the more obvious ones (e.g. attention to detail, communication skills) the reasoning for which almost goes without saying, and then dedicate the bulk of the space to going in-depth on just a couple? Or better to go for a laundry-list approach with limited detail/substantiation?

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    This is a strange story/'question', and I am not sure whether this is the 'right' place on the forum to post it. If it is not, my apologies (I'll delete it).

Yesterday, I had a call with one of the London Partners at a big US firm (through personal connections). Basically, he looked at my CV and said the following (I noted it) 'You did not attend Cambridge/Oxbridge (I am non- RSG), you do not have 4 A* A-levels, in addition, I cannot see any relevant legal work experience' He then went to say that If he was me he would contact firms at my home country, because he doubts that there is a place for me in City.

Needles to say, I found those comments very disheartening because if that indeed is how they view my situation, is there even a point in me spending the time and applying? Also, I found the point about 'going to my home country' a bit confusing (?) I'm from the EU but I've been here for the past 15 years ( and I'm 20).

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    This is a strange story/'question', and I am not sure whether this is the 'right' place on the forum to post it. If it is not, my apologies (I'll delete it).

Yesterday, I had a call with one of the London Partners at a big US firm (through personal connections). Basically, he looked at my CV and said the following (I noted it) 'You did not attend Cambridge/Oxbridge (I am non- RSG), you do not have 4 A* A-levels, in addition, I cannot see any relevant legal work experience' He then went to say that If he was me he would contact firms at my home country, because he doubts that there is a place for me in City.

Needles to say, I found those comments very disheartening because if that indeed is how they view my situation, is there even a point in me spending the time and applying? Also, I found the point about 'going to my home country' a bit confusing (?) I'm from the EU but I've been here for the past 15 years ( and I'm 20).
    Honestly I would urge you not to get disheartened by his very backward views?? You do not need to have attended Oxbridge and have 4A*s at A Level to get a TC, I'm sure many on this forum can attest to this! The fact you organised this call shows your proactively looking for a career in the City and you should not let this one conversation put you off.

Also if you haven't watched this already, this also shows as proof as to why you don't need to have attended Oxbridge or even a RG uni to get a TC: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2018/09/24/does-it-matter-what-university-you-go-to/

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020

That's really awful, I'm so sorry. It's a pretty outdated mentality, but one that still has adherents in some corners of the London legal market. Fortunately, what that partner said isn't true in general terms. It is more true at some firms, particularly - and I am wary of over-generalising - at some smaller US outposts who lean heavily on pedigree to draw clients, although that is not to say by any means that all small US firm offices are like that.

For what it's worth, I've heard things like that before - as have many others, including quite a few people who have successfully launched careers at City law firms. For any firm you're interested in, I'd recommend looking through associate profiles and see the backgrounds of juniors - of course there are still quite a few Oxbridge grads, but at most firms you'll see a healthy smattering of non-RG and internationally-educated lawyers, which I find helps to defuse some of that anxiety.

Reactions: kat_ and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Curious for people's thoughts on the Sidley Q 'In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?' (250w). The wordcount is quite tight, so it's difficult to properly substantiate more than maybe 3 personal qualities. That said, of course there are more than 3 qualities worth mentioning - is it appropriate to rattle off some of the more obvious ones (e.g. attention to detail, communication skills) the reasoning for which almost goes without saying, and then dedicate the bulk of the space to going in-depth on just a couple? Or better to go for a laundry-list approach with limited detail/substantiation?
    I’d go with quality over quantity.

Reactions: Rob93

Aspiring Solicitor 007

• Feb 13, 2021
    Personally I never got one. Someone on here said they were going to manually go through the SJT outcomes due to all their issues with it this cycle so they’re probably just going round resending them to everyone!
    Thanks so much :)
    Same for me - I received a second SJT outcome email yesterday and still no change to the outcome of my application 😭
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just remember this is one person’s opinion out of nearly 150,000 qualified lawyers in the UK.

And they clearly are a bit over opinionated and naive. Hopefully you just got them on a bad day.

Reactions: Rob93 and M777

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    For the question ''If you could bring into force any law, what would that law be and why?'', do you think it would be acceptable to suggest a reform to current legislation. Would this technically be a new law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the question ''If you could bring into force any law, what would that law be and why?'', do you think it would be acceptable to suggest a reform to current legislation. Would this technically be a new law?
    Yes, that is fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.