TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Just submitted my Simmons application and got the link for the online judgement test. I've never done a test before so was wondering if there are any tips/things to watch out for?

@George.E. @OB @Mxkry maybe if you can help :)
    You’ll get scenarios that you would face as a trainee there and you choose from options what actions you’d take. It’s quite straightforward and nothing to stress about :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone else received their SJT outcome email from A&O twice?
    My portal still shows app as under review.
    Personally I never got one. Someone on here said they were going to manually go through the SJT outcomes due to all their issues with it this cycle so they’re probably just going round resending them to everyone!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    can/should I apply to a winter scheme after not converting a VS at the firm?
    Hey - sorry to hear that you didn't convert your VS.

I'm currently in a similar position and will be reapply for a VS despite having already completed one with the firm, as it recruits primarily through the VS and reserves direct TC places for career changers. I would recommend speaking with grad rec to see which they would prefer.

Hope that helps and good luck with this cycle! :)

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Just submitted my Simmons application and got the link for the online judgement test. I've never done a test before so was wondering if there are any tips/things to watch out for?

@George.E. @OB @Mxkry maybe if you can help :)
    Hey - I've completed Simmons' SJT several times. I don't think there is a lot you can do to prepare but would recommend looking up the firm's core values and the competencies they look for in trainees. I'd then keep these in mind whilst answering the questions but also try to answer with what you would really do in that situation.

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Reactions: OB

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I am currently finishing my Travers Smith cover letter and was wondering if it was ok not to mention their ‘best friend’ system as a reason for applying.
    Hey Melissa - I don't think they would reject you for not mentioning something. I think it will be about what you have written and whether it's convincing, genuine and well reasoned. Hope that helps :)

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hey Melissa - I don't think they would reject you for not mentioning something. I think it will be about what you have written and whether it's convincing, genuine and well reasoned. Hope that helps :)
    Haha this is what I’m hoping! I’ve definitely got a whole host of other reasons for applying but I noticed it was something that is spoken about a lot and was worried it would be obvious if it wasn’t mentioned! Thank you for responding Flora ❤️

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Haha this is what I’m hoping! I’ve definitely got a whole host of other reasons for applying but I noticed it was something that is spoken about a lot and was worried it would be obvious if it wasn’t mentioned! Thank you for responding Flora ❤️
    No worries. I think as long as you've mentioned other reasons/evidence which is unique/specific to them you'll do great! Good luck :)

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    is the general consensus for A&O that most people have received SJT outcomes but have not yet been invited to AC/rejected outright?
    I think so, though TCLA is a minute proportion of the number of applicants competing for vac schemes. We simply have no idea whether the 1000s who applied to A&O have heard back yet.

Another consensus is that A&O's response times have been inconsistent. Lots of people at different stages of the process, regardless of when they sent their application.

Reactions: OB, tt_xo and alicebloom

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Plenty of fish in the sea- hope you're doing okay!
    Thank you! HSF is a tricky one. I thought I nailed everything in that application but clearly not lol.

is the general consensus for A&O that most people have received SJT outcomes but have not yet been invited to AC/rejected outright?
    May also be dependent upon the scheme you applied for. I applied for the TC 2024 and passed the SJT, but I've heard nothing since.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB and M777

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Thank you! HSF is a tricky one. I thought I nailed everything in that application but clearly not lol.

May also be dependent upon the scheme you applied for. I applied for the TC 2024 and passed the SJT, but I've heard nothing since.
    If it's any consolation, they rejected me for the first-year workshop 3 years ago because I didn't meet the psychometric test benchmark. Haven't forgiven them since.

• Haha
    Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97 and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.