TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi all, i'm having trouble understanding this assumption from the TCLA guide. The statement is: ''We forecast that increased demands for organic produce in the UK will be followed by a decrease in the number of farms producing genetically modified crops.'' The assumption is
''Demand for organically grown produce will exceed the level of genetically modified produce in the future.''. The answer is ANM. Can please someone explain why this is?
The statement does not mention that organic produce is higher than genetically modified at the moment nor does it say that it will beat it one day. It just says that as OP demand increases, GM demand decreases. The gap could be so large that they will never meet. An assumption is one that relies on the statement - that assumption is not related to the statement

Reactions: syw

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hi @PirateShip,

I do not think that you will be alone in feeling this. Keep going!

My advice is to just really try to make one precise point (however niche) in your answer. Going for one simple idea, that is well-developed should be the focus here. Ideally, you want to demonstrate that you can communicate complexity in a(n extremely) concise, simple way.

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for the kind words! Submitted the app today, so here's to hoping for the best!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Anyone else re-read old applications you’ve wrote and cringe to death? I found this gem:

“I studied slides whilst my peers were partying, saw the teaching assistant whilst my peers were eating and sought feedback on my tutorial work whilst my peers left the room.”

I don’t even know what this s*** means😂

Cringe Wince GIF
This is only my second cycle but very relatable! Applications are definitely a bit of an art form, and like any art form the more you practice the better you get.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    So I’ve done my HSF test and thankfully took a screenshot of my confirmation because I’ve now got an email saying my application has been binned because they haven’t got my test results. I’ve sent them an email but does anyone have a contact number for them?

PS: also has this happened to anyone before?

Last edited:

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    So I’ve done my HSF test and thankfully took a screenshot of my confirmation because I’ve now got an email saying my application has been binned because they haven’t got my test results. I’ve sent them an email but does anyone have a contact number for them?

PS: also has this happened to anyone before?
    This happened to me, just shoot them an email with the screenshot. They should have your results.

Reactions: OB and Veep9

Scandi

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hi guys.

After a tremendously long journey, I finally secured a vac scheme at a top American law firm!

My question is, since many schemes overlap, how normal is it to ask for deferring a winter vac scheme offer to the spring?

Most winter schemes overlap, so that is why I am wondering. I also don't wanna ask this question unnecessarily to risk being 'disinterested'.

Any tips are warmly welcomed

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hi guys.

After a tremendously long journey, I finally secured a vac scheme at a top American law firm!

My question is, since many schemes overlap, how normal is it to ask for deferring a winter vac scheme offer to the spring?

Most winter schemes overlap, so that is why I am wondering. I also don't wanna ask this question unnecessarily to risk being 'disinterested'.

Any tips are warmly welcomed
    So I personally did ask to defer a spring scheme last cycle as I had a clash, I think it is quite common for people to ask but it is up to the firm whether or not they allow it. I personally had already accepted another scheme on the same dates by the time I got my offer so I think in cases like that with clashes the firm understands that you aren't necessarily 'disinterested' but have made a commitment to another firm already.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Anyone else re-read old applications you’ve wrote and cringe to death? I found this gem:

“I studied slides whilst my peers were partying, saw the teaching assistant whilst my peers were eating and sought feedback on my tutorial work whilst my peers left the room.”

I don’t even know what this s*** means😂

Cringe Wince GIF
    I mean 😂 This is not entirely wrong to say because it shows you went the extra mile to improve yourself just needs rephrasing :)

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Congratulations! Sorry I can’t be any help, but do you mind me asking when you completed your test?
    I’m pretty sure I completed the test like 3 weeks ago.
    And quick tip, after speaking to a bunch of GR, they stated that if you ever come across an SJT that has a critical thinking or reasoning section in it at the end, if you ever get critical reasoning/thinking as one of your strengths, you’re almost guaranteed to get through to the next stage.

good luck btw x

• 🏆
    Reactions: ellwilsen and OB

jv1999

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 11, 2021
    Just wondering if anyone has received ACs for Hogan winter VS? (I havent)
    Hiya I did Hogan AC on Tuesday and was offered the winter VS the next day!

On a side note - just want to say thanks to everyone on here and all the valuable content. This is my first ever cycle and I had no idea what a vac scheme was or how to approach any of this stuff even 3 months ago. I've literally looked at every single thread over the past 3 months and every resource on here and been to every virtual event I can and been meticulous with my approach (i've had a diary with what I'm doing each day dependent on deadlines etc. from August 25th that continues through to December).

If anyone has any questions defo message me as I'm keen to give back. I know how alien the process looks, particularly if you're a non-law student (or non-law grad like me!). However, it makes a lot more sense once you drill down to what law firms are actually looking for and what exactly you are looking for.

WillF

Star Member
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hiya I did Hogan AC on Tuesday and was offered the winter VS the next day!

On a side note - just want to say thanks to everyone on here and all the valuable content. This is my first ever cycle and I had no idea what a vac scheme was or how to approach any of this stuff even 3 months ago. I've literally looked at every single thread over the past 3 months and every resource on here and been to every virtual event I can and been meticulous with my approach (i've had a diary with what I'm doing each day dependent on deadlines etc. from August 25th that continues through to December).

If anyone has any questions defo message me as I'm keen to give back. I know how alien the process looks, particularly if you're a non-law student (or non-law grad like me!). However, it makes a lot more sense once you drill down to what law firms are actually looking for and, more importantly, what exactly YOU are looking for.
    congrats!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.