TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shootingstars2

Nov 13, 2021
Both is fine. I'd suggest trying to firm up what exactly you're keen on within those areas - commercial law is a very, very broad field and if CRS has any particular practice groups you're interested in then go to that level of detail.

I'm not sure how they run their private client practice but again that can involve a lot of things - assuming their focus is HNW individuals, do they handle private investment ex. into family offices, trusts, wills & estates, big-ticket divorces, Dickensian inheritance disputes, individual commercial/business disputes, real estate, secured borrowing? Identify your interests, get into what about this interests you, and why.
Thank you - really grateful for your detailed response. Is having a specific interest in particular areas really important in the application phase? I have lots of pro bono experience and I enjoyed helping individual clients and understanding their personal issues, so this has clarified that private client law is my particular interest. Would they expect to know specific areas of private client law and why they interest me?

I only have limited law firm experience and I only had expose to wills and estates, and by exposure, I mean, I helped draft a will by filling in a template for a fake client (not that exciting). Whilst for example, big-ticket divorces interests me, how would you explain this interest without having experience in this area?

But I also enjoyed my business experience, and working with businesses, and M&A type work. They are such different areas (private and commercial) so worried the law firm will think I just have no clue, and will never find an area I want to qualify into if i'm interested in such polar practice areas....

Reactions: James Carrabino

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Thank you - really grateful for your detailed response. Is having a specific interest in particular areas really important in the application phase? I have lots of pro bono experience and I enjoyed helping individual clients and understanding their personal issues, so this has clarified that private client law is my particular interest. Would they expect to know specific areas of private client law and why they interest me?

I only have limited law firm experience and I only had expose to wills and estates, and by exposure, I mean, I helped draft a will by filling in a template for a fake client (not that exciting). Whilst for example, big-ticket divorces interests me, how would you explain this interest without having experience in this area?

But I also enjoyed my business experience, and working with businesses, and M&A type work. They are such different areas (private and commercial) so worried the law firm will think I just have no clue, and will never find an area I want to qualify into if i'm interested in such polar practice areas....

Don't worry too much about what exposure you've had - most applicants don't have much experience. Your pro bono experience sounds great, for private client I'd really lean in on wanting to do work that has a direct impact on people's lives - just bear in mind that the type of client and the type of work will obviously be very different. For, say, divorce discuss why it interests you - ex. these are obviously very charged disputes with a lot at stake, and the prospect of acting as a level-headed advisor to help clients achieve the best outcome in these challenging situations is attractive. Re: commercial and M&A, again the key thing is what's attractive about it for you personally?

I don't think it's an issue to talk about both private client and corporate/commercial if you're applying to a firm that is serious about both of those things and where you're likely to have a seat in both areas during training. On the contrary, it gives you a strong 'why this firm?' response - because there aren't a lot of firms that have substantial capabilities in both those areas, training there will help you make the right decision about what to pursue on qualification.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020

To answer the more general question, at application stage it's best to calibrate the level of specificity to the firm. If you were applying to a US firm with an intense finance focus then obviously it would be appropriate to go deep on that. Conversely, some MC and other full service firms will raise an eyebrow if you're too focused on one thing because you'll spend most of your TC doing other things and they don't want you phoning it in.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: layk

Shootingstars2

Nov 13, 2021
To answer the more general question, at application stage it's best to calibrate the level of specificity to the firm. If you were applying to a US firm with an intense finance focus then obviously it would be appropriate to go deep on that. Conversely, some MC and other full service firms will raise an eyebrow if you're too focused on one thing because you'll spend most of your TC doing other things and they don't want you phoning it in.
Thank you so much!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why would a firm ask you why you are applying to that specific office? i.e London instead of Manchester etc
Because most people are not geographically mobile and cannot work in multiple locations. The firm needs to ensure they have the right amount of talent pipeline for each vacancy they have.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If the word count for work experience is 250 words, does that mean I have to write that much about each job?
No - some jobs can be described in a much shorter word limit (eg if the job was fairly straight forward/limited responsibilities/for a short period of time).

Reactions: kat_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.