TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
Not a vac scheme or TC (yet)! But I’ve just been offered a job as a part-time Corporate Law paralegal at a big international company! Feeling very blessed, as finding part time work in law whilst studying is very difficult. All the tips on this forum helped me with my interviews so huge thank you to everyone! Feeling like this will really help me when it comes to securing a TC as well ❤️❤️

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
I have applied for an open day at a firm which is in almost two weeks but I’ve heard nothing. Is it appropriate to email grad rec to ask when decisions will be finalised (simply because I will need to take time off work if I am selected)?

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
Not a vac scheme or TC (yet)! But I’ve just been offered a job as a part-time Corporate Law paralegal at a big international company! Feeling very blessed, as finding part time work in law whilst studying is very difficult. All the tips on this forum helped me with my interviews so huge thank you to everyone! Feeling like this will really help me when it comes to securing a TC as well ❤️❤️
Amazing!! Congratulations!!

Reactions: James Carrabino

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone have any advice for what I can do/resources to use to prepare for a vacation scheme? I have a WVS with Allen & Overy so any A&O specific or general advice would be so helpful! :)
Congratulations! This is great news 🥳

I think you may find this thread helpful- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....to-a-training-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/.

It has a bunch of tips from the TCLA community and resources available that you can go through in the run-up to your WVS 😇

All the very best- please do reach out to us if you have any questions and let us know how it goes!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
What happens after completing the HSF online assessment? I have received a report, but when do I hear back if I passed the test or about next steps (which I believe is the AC)?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
PFO from A&O direct TC - they offered me an AC for the summer scheme instead as they said I didn't have enough legal experience but I had LPC exams that clashed and so they said they would consider me for the direct Tc instead but have just gotten the rejection email - I'm really upset and annoyed because if it weren't for the LPC exams, I could have genuinely had a shot at A&O
I also wanted to ask how much legal experience firms expect for direct TC - I was a legal intern for 3 months over the summer at a global bank but perhaps they're looking for law firm work experience?
Hey I'm really sorry to hear this @xJannax. It sounds like one of those scenarios where things are really out of your control, which I know can be so frustrating. As to whether or not to follow up on this with a phone call, my view is that it could never hurt regardless of how unlikely the outcome is to change as there could conceivably have been some kind of administrative error involved. I am not sure whether most direct TC candidates would have more legal experience than you, but it is possible that they want evidence of vacation schemes in particular (although honestly I think your three months as a legal intern would seem like better experience to me than a vacation scheme, but perhaps they would value the selectivity of a vacation scheme). Take from this experience that you are a great candidate since they have even told you as much by offering you an interview for the summer vacation scheme. There are many more firms out there and there's plenty of time left in this application season so I certainly wouldn't start to worry about one extremely frustrating incident like this - I'm confident that you will end up at a firm that's perfect for you!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jooooopp7 and Jaysen

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    What happens after completing the HSF online assessment? I have received a report, but when do I hear back if I passed the test or about next steps (which I believe is the AC)?
    I'm pretty sure they won't be taking any further steps until the deadline of the 3rd December has passed as they're non rolling. They did say that you'll hear back shortly after this date has passed so fingers crossed you get news soon :)

Reactions: Dwight

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020
    Has anyone been to Skadden’s virtual open day before? Not sure what to expect - is it camera on, are there opportunities to network and ask questions etc. any insights would be appreciated!

Reactions: Law2022
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.