TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
For Skadden, "Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm."
Should there still be some reference to "Why Law" anyway?

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
Does Irwin Mitchell still asks you to specify whether u want personal or business?
I completed my application in November and I didn't have to specify. I think I only specified a location. It was a very basic personal information form followed by SJT with some verbal reasoning questions at the end.

M991

Distinguished Member
Mar 14, 2020
Hey everyone!

Pinsent Masons has 3 questions on their application form:

Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career in commercial law and why you are applying to Pinsent Masons (Max 2000 Characters)
What are your main spare time interests? (Max 2000 characters including spaces)
Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you. (Max 2000 characters including spaces)

However, for only two of them, they say that it should be 2000 characters "including spaces". Does it mean that the first question can be 2000 characters long excluding spaces"?

I am confused :/

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hey everyone!

Pinsent Masons has 3 questions on their application form:

Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career in commercial law and why you are applying to Pinsent Masons (Max 2000 Characters)
    What are your main spare time interests? (Max 2000 characters including spaces)
    Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you. (Max 2000 characters including spaces)

However, for only two of them, they say that it should be 2000 characters "including spaces". Does it mean that the first question can be 2000 characters long excluding spaces"?

I am confused :/
    they are all with spaces, the portal doesn't allow you to submit the first one of it more than 2000 with spaces

Reactions: GOI983 and AvniD

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    For Skadden, "Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm."
    Yes, I think is important to demonstrate your motivations for seeking a career in commercial law first and then go into specifics about why you're applying to that particular firm.

I tend to draft my covering letters in the following format:

1. Why law?
    2. Why the firm?
    3. Why you?

Hope this helps! :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I think this is not a traditional cover letter but this is my humble opinion.

You have to mention why Skadden by relating back to you and in there you can mention a particular experience that demonstrates why law (experiences etc) and then why you are suited to the firm.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    By the way have a look at the past applications..they really show you how to structure your answer

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    CMS WG invite! If anyone could recommend some helpful resources I would really appreciate it as I haven't been doing too great on the practice tests😬

I hope these help improve your score in practice tests! And congratulations on your WG invite! 🥳

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Yes, I think is important to demonstrate your motivations for seeking a career in commercial law first and then go into specifics about why you're applying to that particular firm.

I tend to draft my covering letters in the following format:

1. Why law?
    2. Why the firm?
    3. Why you?

Hope this helps! :)
    Completely agree with @Nicole15! My only suggestion is that to keep the cover letter to a page and, since they have been specific about what they are looking for, ensure that you really flesh out your motivations for wanting to apply to Skadden and why you're a good fit.

A helpful way to do this is to relate your answers back to your motivations, traits, skills and aspirations for your career. For example, if you say that XYZ deal at the firm stood out to you, you should also say why this deal captured your interest and what you think deals like this mean for your training and career. Similarly, if you say the ABC characteristic makes you a good fit, you should mention how this matches with the firm's values/ethos and potentially how this characteristic will influence/impact your training.

Wishing you the best!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.