TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Apologies if this has been asked before, but for Mishcon's question about discussing a legal case we're interested in - is it a good idea to talk about a case that relates to one of their practice areas? The case I am thinking of is related to an immigration outcome of brexit and is one I think I can talk about quite well.

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
Apr 27, 2021
I have been given the name of my supervisor for my A&O vac scheme next week - should I reach out to him e.g. to ask if there's anything I can do some research on in prep for next week or best to leave it?

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Norton Rose Fulbright wrote on their application 'Please do not provide school or employer referee details.' but of course i dont actually know the postal address of my personal tutor. Would it be wrong to put in the law schools address (you cant progress without typing the postal address)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright wrote on their application 'Please do not provide school or employer referee details.' but of course i dont actually know the postal address of my personal tutor. Would it be wrong to put in the law schools address (you cant progress without typing the postal address)?
The address would be directed to your personal tutor via your faculty office, so these are the most appropriate details to provide. Alternatively, if your tutor has sent you an email that has a signature on it, it might list an alternative address there, but a faculty office address would get to them as that is who employs them.

Reactions: tt_xo

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    What are firms looking for when they ask why diversity is important or why they should focus on diversity? Should I include personal anecdotes? If not, it feels like everyone would have the same answer?

lw2000

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2021
    For Mischon's question Please detail any activities and achievements below, making sure to include the dates in which these took place. If it was a one-off award or something similar please choose the same start and end date to denote when it was awarded. I am slightly confused as to whether this is asking about extracurricular activities like sport and music or holding certain positions within university societies etc.

They also have Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application? at the end and I'm not sure whether its here you're supposed to talk about extra curricular.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What are firms looking for when they ask why diversity is important or why they should focus on diversity? Should I include personal anecdotes? If not, it feels like everyone would have the same answer?
    I think this can be done if you are linking it to why it is important. But if you do this, keep it brief (eg you don’t have to go into full STAR format of answers on how you have demonstrated the importance of diversity, just how it has benefitted you or the situations you have worked in).

I don’t think it is necessary for the answer though, and that individuals can put their own spin on similar themes by putting it in their own language/style and voicing their opinions. Those combinations will make answers different from one another.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD, Veep9 and S30

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have been given the name of my supervisor for my A&O vac scheme next week - should I reach out to him e.g. to ask if there's anything I can do some research on in prep for next week or best to leave it?
    You don’t need to do this - you haven’t been given their contact details by the sounds of it, just their name. I think your pre vac scheme research can be off your own back based on what you can find out about the team/the work they do rather than asking someone else.

There is no harm in asking though if you can work out their firm email address. I personally would advise against trying to connect with them via LinkedIn to ask this - not everyone wants to connect via LinkedIn and to me the firm’s email address for them is the most appropriate way to liaise with them (considering you are asking about the firm).

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I think this can be done if you are linking it to why it is important. But if you do this, keep it brief (eg you don’t have to go into full STAR format of answers on how you have demonstrated the importance of diversity, just how it has benefitted you or the situations you have worked in).

I don’t think it is necessary for the answer though, and that individuals can put their own spin on similar themes by putting it in their own language/style and voicing their opinions. Those combinations will make answers different from one another.
    Thank you. I keep feeling like this is a trick question because surely the benefits of diversity are well known. What are they assessing here? It's not knowledge of law, the firm or my experiences.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you. I keep feeling like this is a trick question because surely the benefits of diversity are well known. What are they assessing here? It's not knowledge of law, the firm or my experiences.
    It isn’t a trick question. They are assessing your knowledge of diversity to see if you align to the firm’s values regarding it. I think you’d be surprised at how many people wouldn’t know how to answer this question or would just Google “why is diversity important to businesses”. A good answer would demonstrate knowledge of how law firms operate.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sorry to post the same question again but I could really use your help
    I am planning to apply to A&O and there are two questions to answer?

Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. (250 words)

Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).

For what concerns the first question: do you think i should use STAR and can I mention the AS commercial awareness competition even if it is an achievement? Plus what do we mean by "learnings"
    The second questions: is the general trainee role or specifically A&O?

thank you 🙏

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Sorry to post the same question again but I could really use your help
    I am planning to apply to A&O and there are two questions to answer?

Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. (250 words)

Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).

For what concerns the first question: do you think i should use STAR and can I mention the AS commercial awareness competition even if it is an achievement? Plus what do we mean by "learnings"
    The second questions: is the general trainee role or specifically A&O?

thank you 🙏
    Hi,

Regarding the first question - given the word count, I think using the STAR method would be exceptionally difficult as I think that you are required to refer to multiple examples. I would absolutely mention the AS CAC - it is a personal experience for you and you can definitely talk about skills you have developed or lessons you have learned while competing.

I think that by "learnings" they simply mean what (lessons) you have learned from your experiences etc.

With regards to the second question, I think you have to explain how these skills would help you be a good trainee, and then link that back to the firm and what it is that they look for.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kat_ and AvniD

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi,

Regarding the first question - given the word count, I think using the STAR method would be exceptionally difficult as I think that you are required to refer to multiple examples. I would absolutely mention the AS CAC - it is a personal experience for you and you can definitely talk about skills you have developed or lessons you have learned while competing.

I think that by "learnings" they simply mean what (lessons) you have learned from your experiences etc.

With regards to the second question, I think you have to explain how these skills would help you be a good trainee, and then link that back to the firm and what it is that they look for.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you so much

Reactions: Lily721

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hey does anyone know if the time it took you to complete A&O or Simmons SJT is taken into account?
    For Simmons, I am pretty positive that they don’t, and I would guess it is the same for A&O. I don’t think time matters with SJTs as they are not testing your knowledge or abilities

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.