TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hahahaa submitted my app to Travers summer vac scheme a couple of hours ago and just received an official looking email from grad rec.
I audibly said “you have got to be joking me” - whilst in the library thinking it was a very swift rejection, and it was just an kind update/ acknowledgment email.
… I think this cycle/3rd year is getting to me 😂😂
stress GIF

hf77777

Dec 1, 2021
Hi, for reference: I applied on the 9th September, was invited to complete the Watson Glaser on the 1st October, and was invited to the video interview this morning (26th October). So if there is any continuity, you will be waiting about 3 weeks or so before you receive the Watson Glaser invitation. Hope that helps :)
I applied 17th September and still haven't heard anything about Watson Glaser or anything. Emailed Grad Rec but they said just be patient, am getting worried :(

Samir_O

Legendary Member
Oct 5, 2021
Hello! First of all, just know many people are in your situation. I can completely empathise with you, I had a slight meltdown yesterday about not submitting much applications. What do you feel is the reason for your applications getting rejected post-app? Are you selling yourself well.

Regarding firms rolling-basis, I would still apply and do not be put off with that. As you can only be in “this game” if you apply. To provide a bit of comfort all my applications which I applied to early on the cycle last year I was rejected from, and all four of my applications which I applied on the deadline I made it to the VI and AC stage.

All the best for this cycle! ✌🏻

My very generous rule of thumb is apply in the first two-thirds of an application window if you can. Therefore if the applications are open from 1 November to 31 January means you could apply anytime up until the beginning of January and still have no issues.

However, this generous rule means I would also stress if you find yourself wanting to apply to a firm but it is only a week or two before the deadline, then apply anyway. The only way to win it, is to be in it - not applying is the only certain way of not getting a job. Most firms will get the majority of the applications within the last 72 hours and I have lost count how many trainees I have recruited who applied hours before the deadline.

Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate it. Its really easy to get lost in this process and overthink things like the timing of your app etc but you are both right in that one will have 0% chance if they dont apply! Feeling a bit more hopeful about it all so thank you 🥺

Reactions: Jessica Booker

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
For those who have been successful with the new Mayer Brown application, what were your strengths? It is a stupid question but it would be nice to define a common trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.