TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
Congrats! Same!

Its my first cycle and first video interview so I’m not expecting things to go perfectly.

since the Reed Smith VI is new this year, does anyone have an idea of what to expect and some of the specific questions they may ask?
Have a look on their grad rec website they have some info on what to expect from the VI.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
where should I add open days on LinkedIn and the CV?
I would add open days under the accomplishment section. Under there, there is an "organisations" section and you can then add Open Day attendee under the following format along with a very brief description.

1638287586447.png

For CVs I would create a heading along the lines of something like "Career events and programmes" and list them very briefly under this heading.

Reactions: TCdreamer97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all! Dont mean to bring negativity to this forum but just seeking peoples thoughts... Im currently interning and am a 2021 graduate and have been applying for vac schemes but no luck so far.. quite a few of the firms i have my eye on still have their deadlines coming up end of december/beginning of jan. I seem to find myself only able to submit applications so close to the deadline. if the firms are rolling (like alot of the ones upcoming in dec/jan), how much of an issue does this pose? what is the general rule of thumb when it comes to submitting an app for a rolling firm? Just feel quite overwhelmed and feel like this app season is slipping away :(
My very generous rule of thumb is apply in the first two-thirds of an application window if you can. Therefore if the applications are open from 1 November to 31 January means you could apply anytime up until the beginning of January and still have no issues.

However, this generous rule means I would also stress if you find yourself wanting to apply to a firm but it is only a week or two before the deadline, then apply anyway. The only way to win it, is to be in it - not applying is the only certain way of not getting a job. Most firms will get the majority of the applications within the last 72 hours and I have lost count how many trainees I have recruited who applied hours before the deadline.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
One of Sidley's questions is 'In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?'

I've written up my own list, but revisiting their website just now they have a quite neat little 'what we look for' list of personal attributes.

While I'm pleased to find that there's significant conceptual overlap between their list and mine, I'm now wondering if I should shift gears/rewrite to focus more on what they obviously think are key qualities.

Are firms generally looking for their own material to be reflected back at them on these sorts of questions, or do they prefer something a little different? And if using their listed qualities, is it better to use the specific language they use or does it not matter? (ex. they list 'perserverance,' I had already written on 'resilience')

EVjuji

Valued Member
Nov 29, 2019
One of Sidley's questions is 'In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?'

I've written up my own list, but revisiting their website just now they have a quite neat little 'what we look for' list of personal attributes.

While I'm pleased to find that there's significant conceptual overlap between their list and mine, I'm now wondering if I should shift gears/rewrite to focus more on what they obviously think are key qualities.

Are firms generally looking for their own material to be reflected back at them on these sorts of questions, or do they prefer something a little different? And if using their listed qualities, is it better to use the specific language they use or does it not matter? (ex. they list 'perserverance,' I had already written on 'resilience')
I would go with the skills you came up yourself to make your app stand out. So many candidates will use the skills on Sidleys website...

Reactions: Anoned
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.