Clifford Chance - Details of Previous Rejections of TC

sandralai

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2021
Hi all, thanks so much to everyone for some help on discussing rejections previously in another post (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ain-rejections-in-interviews.4387/#post-88714) - it surely made me a lot more comfortable talking about them!

For Clifford Chance's 2024 Direct Training Contract (thankfully it's non rolling basis), they ask whether you have done any formal vacation scheme, and then whether you were offered a TC. And eventually:

If your answer to the above question was 'no' we would appreciate any detail you feel comfortable providing. Please add N/A if this is not applicable to you.

I am not sure if the interview approach that I linked really applies to an application answer, so:
  1. What are the "details" that I should provide? Should I discuss (a) the feedback; and/or (b) how I have improved, using examples to explain?
  2. If discussing how I improved should be included, how much should I focus on it? Just thinking if I'll sound like I'm deviating from answering the question.
  3. Around how many words should I aim for? I do know that the 600 word question is the real "bread and butter" of my application.
  4. If I was indeed told in the feedback that one reason was due to the firm's small intake (which would be quite different from Clifford Chance), is it appropriate to mention this also?
I am not very sure as there is already the Work Experience section for me to talk about what I did during the schemes.

Thanks so much to everyone in advance! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, thanks so much to everyone for some help on discussing rejections previously in another post (https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ain-rejections-in-interviews.4387/#post-88714) - it surely made me a lot more comfortable talking about them!

For Clifford Chance's 2024 Direct Training Contract (thankfully it's non rolling basis), they ask whether you have done any formal vacation scheme, and then whether you were offered a TC. And eventually:

I am not sure if the interview approach that I linked really applies to an application answer, so:
  1. What are the "details" that I should provide? Should I discuss (a) the feedback; and/or (b) how I have improved, using examples to explain?
  2. If discussing how I improved should be included, how much should I focus on it? Just thinking if I'll sound like I'm deviating from answering the question.
  3. Around how many words should I aim for? I do know that the 600 word question is the real "bread and butter" of my application.
  4. If I was indeed told in the feedback that one reason was due to the firm's small intake (which would be quite different from Clifford Chance), is it appropriate to mention this also?
I am not very sure as there is already the Work Experience section for me to talk about what I did during the schemes.

Keep the details as concise as possible. Explain why you didn’t get the scheme and if it’s down to development points, very briefly explain how you have gone on to improve -e.g. “My feedback from Joe Blogg LLP that I needed to develop my communication skills when presenting. Since then I have taken further presenting responsibilities through my role as….”. It doesn’t need any more detail than that.

I would expect less than 100 words will be needed, although it does depend on how many vacation schemes you didn’t convert.

If it is down to something like a small intake size, then you still will have had a development area as you weren’t offered over others in the vac scheme intake, so try not to just rely on this point alone. But sometimes it just comes down to things that one firm can’t offer that another can, and so you can mention those.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

Keep the details as concise as possible. Explain why you didn’t get the scheme and if it’s down to development points, very briefly explain how you have gone on to improve -e.g. “My feedback from Joe Blogg LLP that I needed to develop my communication skills when presenting. Since then I have taken further presenting responsibilities through my role as….”. It doesn’t need any more detail than that.

I would expect less than 100 words will be needed, although it doesn’t depend on how many vacation schemes you didn’t convert.

If it is down to something like a small intake size, then you still will have had a development area as you weren’t offered over others in the vac scheme intake, so try not to just rely on this point alone. But sometimes it just comes down to things that one firm can’t offer that another can, and so you can mention those.
Hi @sandralai,

Adding to what Jessica said, I really like how she has rounded off the answer in her post (i.e., outlining how the feedback has been acted upon in a specific and tangible way). This is essential for the detail you should include, as it shows that you are willing (and able) to develop from feedback.

Very best of luck with it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.