TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flora2580

Aug 8, 2020
For anyone applying to addleshaw goddard, are we expected to answer the question "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?" or is this just for mitigating circumstances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For anyone applying to addleshaw goddard, are we expected to answer the question "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?" or is this just for mitigating circumstances?
It’s not just for mitigating circumstances. You could use it to provide information on anything that wouldn’t naturally fit into other sections (and not just because you ran out of word count) or anything that needs explaining further (for instance non traditional grading systems , gaps in education or employment).

However, many people do leave such questions blank, so it is not an issue if you aren’t completing them.

Reactions: Flora2580

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
@Jessica Booker
As an aside, would it be advisable to refer to Skadden by its full name the first time I mention it on the cover letter?

Hey @pfoapplicant,

I know that your post was some time ago, but personally when I applied to Akin Gump, for example, I only referred to them as "Akin Gump". Nowhere in my application did I write "Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld".

I used Chambers student for reference on this. If a firm's profile refers to them as X, then it is safe to do so too in your applications. Chambers Student articles are, from my understanding, approved by the firm before publication. So I used this as a guide. For example, see Akin Gump's entry here.

So if it were me, I would feel safe in just referring to the firm as Skadden (as in their entry here) 🚀

Would it be suitable to mention achievements in a 250-word application question that only asks for extracurricular activities? @Jessica Booker

There doesn't seem to be any other place in the application to mention achievements, so I'm thinking I might just try and squeeze it in there

Hi @danieljonesqb,

In my opinion: yes. So long as the achievements you are referring to are extra-curricular, I think it is safe to mention them here, especially if you cannot do so naturally elsewhere 🤸‍♂️

For example, you might say: "I have been doing X since I was 10 years old. I was proud to win Y award recently, demonstrating Z".

Hope this helps!

CC pfo just came through 😓 thought my app was really strong, not sure where i went wrong

Hey @Sandrr_O,

I am really sorry to hear this 😞. If it helps, I know plenty of people who were rejected by CC (I am doing the PGDL with quite a few people who were, for example) and they ended up at MC firms. It is certainly not a ringing indictment of your candidacy. A lot of luck is involved at the first stage of applications(!).

Do reach out if you would like any further help/advice or support.

I think you just have to remember that so many people apply for CC and its not a reflection on you at all! If anything, the amount of time you spent on the app will only help you in the future when applying to other roles, and there will be something out there for you !!

@hopefullylaw2000 I completely agree with this 🙌

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wondering why firms run mentoring schemes (eg those with aspiring solicitors), I’ve recently applied to a firm with whom I’ve been on a mentoring scheme and was told that they would ‘prioritise’ applicants from the scheme. What do you think this means in practice and is it likely to many any difference?

thanks!

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hey @pfoapplicant,

I know that your post was some time ago, but personally when I applied to Akin Gump, for example, I only referred to them as "Akin Gump". Nowhere in my application did I write "Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld".

I used Chambers student for reference on this. If a firm's profile refers to them as X, then it is safe to do so too in your applications. Chambers Student articles are, from my understanding, approved by the firm before publication. So I used this as a guide. For example, see Akin Gump's entry here.

So if it were me, I would feel safe in just referring to the firm as Skadden (as in their entry here) 🚀

Hi @danieljonesqb,

In my opinion: yes. So long as the achievements you are referring to are extra-curricular, I think it is safe to mention them here, espeically if you cannot do so naturally elsewhere 🤸‍♂️

For example, you might say: "I have been doing X since I was 10 years old. I was proud to win Y award recently, demonstrating Z".

Hope this helps!

Hey @Sandrr_O,

I am really sorry to hear this 😞. If it helps, I know plenty of people who were rejected by CC (I am doing the PGDL with quite a few people who were, for example) and they ended up at MC firms. It is certainly not a ringing indictment of your candidacy. A lot of luck is involved at the first stage of applications(!).

Do reach out if you would like any further help/advice or support.

@hopefullylaw2000 I completely agree with this 🙌
Thanks George!

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I wondering why firms run mentoring schemes (eg those with aspiring solicitors), I’ve recently applied to a firm with whom I’ve been on a mentoring scheme and was told that they would ‘prioritise’ applicants from the scheme. What do you think this means in practice and is it likely to many any difference?

thanks!
Firms want to bring more diverse candidates into their business. Evidence shows time and time again that it will improve a business, both in terms of the working environment but put as crudely as possible, will also result it better revenue. All the time clients are asking them to provide how diverse they are as an organisation, there will be these form of mentoring programmes to help support and bring certain under represented groups through the process.

To me, the above says that they will basically keep an eye out for your application. If it is below the standard they would look for, you won’t get through - it’s not like prioritisation means you get to bypass any set criteria. It just means your application is likely to be flagged earlier and brought through any stages earlier too. In any borderline decisions or where they have too many candidates going through to the next stage, then you might be prioritised over another candidate, where you have a connection to the firm.

The difference these mentoring programmes have is not in how your application is reviewed. It is just giving you more opportunities to ensure your application will meet the standards the firm sets.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: Jaysen

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Firms want to bring more diverse candidates into their business. Evidence shows time and time again that it will improve a business, both in terms of the working environment but put as crudely as possible, will also result it better revenue. All the time clients are asking them to provide how diverse they are as an organisation, there will be these form of mentoring programmes to help support and bring certain under represented groups through the process.

To me, the above says that they will basically keep an eye out for your application. If it is below the standard they would look for, you won’t get through - it’s not like prioritisation means you get to bypass any set criteria. It just means your application is likely to be flagged earlier and brought through any stages earlier too. In any borderline decisions or where they have too many candidates going through to the next stage, then you might be prioritised over another candidate, where you have a connection to the firm.

The difference these mentoring programmes have is not in how your application is reviewed. It is just giving you more opportunities to ensure your application will meet the standards the firm sets.
Really useful, thank you!

Flora2580

Aug 8, 2020
Addleshaw goddard's form states "Please use the add button to enter up to 3 relevant work experience/employment positions" but the system enables you to add more. Does anyone have any experience with this app form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.