TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Did a little (massive) happy dance at work today, got through to the VI for Irwin Mitchell! First ever app I’ve managed to get past the app stage in 3 cycles 😅🙈

any advice would be massively appreciated! I also thought they were non-rolling so a little surprised to have heard back so early!
Congratulations! I was wondering if you have any tips for the online assessment? Is SJT or cognify? I need to complete it in the next week and I have no idea what I’m walking into 🙈

KerC14

Valued Member
Jan 26, 2020
Congratulations! I was wondering if you have any tips for the online assessment? Is SJT or cognify? I need to complete it in the next week and I have no idea what I’m walking into 🙈
Hey, thanks!

this is the first year IM have used a capp test so I had no idea how to prepare either. It’s a sjt with a short WG at the end if I remember correctly. The only advice I have is just answer them honestly, not how you think they want you to answer. Maybe have a read over the firm values/career site to get an idea of what they’re looking for. Good luck!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
does anyone know what are the benefits of working for a national law fir rather than an international one?
I do not know the exact answer. But, for example, you could mention the benefit of understanding how local medium-size companies operate and contribute to the growth of the local economy. You could also show your commercial awareness by mentioning how the UK budget could potentially affect small businesses (business rate, levelling up, minimum wage etc)

Reactions: AvniD and GXA123

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
does anyone know what are the benefits of working for a national law fir rather than an international one?

I think these articles do a really good job of breaking down what makes different types of law firms distinct. You can infer the benefits of working at each type of law firm based on the way their advantages and strategy is described. I hope this helps!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
If it is untimed then it most likely it won’t be. I can’t guarantee it, but usually instructions would explain that although it hasn’t a time limit you’d be assessed on the time taken (so read instructions carefully).
they have just said that the test is untimed and do it at your own pace. They have not mentioned that timing is taken into consideration whereas Linklaters have. DLA doesn't seem to consider timing as part of their assessment. Maybe they will mention it when I do the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.