TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
Can you update your CC application (2024 TC) after you've sent it and done the WG? I have secured some Vac Schemes that I had not at the time I originally submitted my app and they ask whether you have doe Vac Schemes or have any lined up in the app.
Unfortunately you cannot. But I wouldn’t worry too much about that. You can always disclose this information at the AC if they ask you, as I’m sure they’d understand your current situation.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @nkji500,

Congratulations for getting progressed to a TC interview with CC! That's fantastic news. I am sorry to hear about the IT role, but getting a training contract offer is a huge achievement.

I cannot answer your first question.

However, in terms of commercial awareness resources, I found (and find) Watson's Daily invaluable. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is paid unfortunately, but in my opinion it is worth it!

I would also highly recommend @BK's articles here. They are fantastic.

Hope that helps 🚀

Hi guys - I wrote on here earlier about an upcoming interview with CC for an IT role. Unfortunately I did not get the role but I was offered an invite to the 2023 training contract assessment center (conditional on me passing the watson glaser test). I just wanted to know:
- How common this was?
- Any great resources to become more commercially minded? (I was looking to subscribe to a newspaper but I'm not sure which?)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Completely agree with @George Maxwell! Would also add that if you're at uni, would highly recommend getting a Financial Times subscription through them. There are some really great podcasts on Spotify too- would recommend the Economist Morning Briefing, FT News Briefing, Bloomberg Law, Think Commercial and More from Law.

All the best! Let us know if you have any other questions 😇

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

keepmewherethelightis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hello! I was applying for the Direct TC Application for Linklaters and I'm having some issues filling in my University Module Results.

As I'm an undergraduate law student at a non-UK University, my University's name was not there in the list and I had to manually put it down in the next row. However, in the University Module Results section, all the options are blocked for filling in. On the bottom, it says- "Please input the university you attended and the year you enrolled to add modules and scores".

Should I add my results in the 'other module related information' section? Would it be better to contact Grad Rec about this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 3.59.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 3.59.03 AM.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 33

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello! I was applying for the Direct TC Application for Linklaters and I'm having some issues filling in my University Module Results.

As I'm an undergraduate law student at a non-UK University, my University's name was not there in the list and I had to manually put it down in the next row. However, in the University Module Results section, all the options are blocked for filling in. On the bottom, it says- "Please input the university you attended and the year you enrolled to add modules and scores".

Should I add my results in the 'other module related information' section? Would it be better to contact Grad Rec about this?
Yes, exactly! Look at the part where it says "If your modules are not available in the first set of boxes below...".

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 10, 2020
Hi all :) When filling up the work experience section, is it advisable to state what you enjoyed about the work experience (to evince your enjoyment in commercial law since the application has no 'why commercial law' segment)? @Jessica Booker - what are your thoughts? thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all :) When filling up the work experience section, is it advisable to state what you enjoyed about the work experience (to evince your enjoyment in commercial law since the application has no 'why commercial law' segment)? @Jessica Booker - what are your thoughts? thanks!
Yes, you can do this. Try to weave this into describing on your day to day responsibilities though - eg “I enjoyed researching U.K. tax legislation for an oil and gas client”

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 10, 2020
Hi all! I am an international student, currently applying for Linklaters. This question may sound so dumb, but for Address 1, do I put in my home country's address and use my term-time address for Address 2? And do I use my home country as my Country of Residence; Postcode; and Town/City? Thank you! @Jessica Booker - some help please? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all! I am an international student, currently applying for Linklaters. This question may sound so dumb, but for Address 1, do I put in my home country's address and use my term-time address for Address 2? And do I use my home country as my Country of Residence; Postcode; and Town/City? Thank you! @Jessica Booker - some help please? :)
It won't really matter which one is which. Choose the first one as the one that is most appropriate for correspondence to be sent to. YOur country of residence is not necessarily your home country - this should be your current residential address.

Reactions: kitty_kat

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Hi folks,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me with a pretty stressful situation. I recently interviewed with a firm who have said they will get back to me with the outcome this week. However, they contacted me yesterday to say that they have had trouble contacting my academic referee as they are on sabbatical. They asked if I could provide an alternative academic referee. Unfortunately, my alternative referee hasn't responded to my attempts to contact her, and I am running out of options. I have tried contacting my university department for help but they won't pick up and won't reply to my emails. I'm a graduate so can't just walk into the office/department. Has this happened to anyone else before? I am really worried that I won't be able to obtain an academic reference for the firm. This is particularly disappointing as I have heard that contact with your referees is a strong indicator that you are on this firm's shortlist. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi folks,
I was wondering whether anyone could help me with a pretty stressful situation. I recently interviewed with a firm who have said they will get back to me with the outcome this week. However, they contacted me yesterday to say that they have had trouble contacting my academic referee as they are on sabbatical. They asked if I could provide an alternative academic referee. Unfortunately, my alternative referee hasn't responded to my attempts to contact her, and I am running out of options. I have tried contacting my university department for help but they won't pick up and won't reply to my emails. I'm a graduate so can't just walk into the office/department. Has this happened to anyone else before? I am really worried that I won't be able to obtain an academic reference for the firm. This is particularly disappointing as I have heard that contact with your referees is a strong indicator that you are on this firm's shortlist. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Hi, I had something similar happen when I was at university! When my academic referee was not reachable, I emailed some of my other professors directly and asked if they were willing to be my referee and they were more than happy to. Hope this helps! 😊seems like a good sign they are contacting your referees anyway so best of luck!

Reactions: G P

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Hi, I had something similar happen when I was at university! When my academic referee was not reachable, I emailed some of my other professors directly and asked if they were willing to be my referee and they were more than happy to. Hope this helps! 😊seems like a good sign they are contacting your referees anyway so best of luck!
Thank you! I am trying to contact them, they just aren't responding at the moment (eek)

• 🤝
Reactions: futuretraineecity

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
Wow! I can't even believe I'm writing this but just received a TC offer from my dream firm! I really thought this day would never come. After 2-3 years of rejections, and not a single VAC scheme/day of legal experience, I can't believe this has happened. Thank you to everyone on the forums for your help and support, and for not letting me lose hope. Thank you so so much, especially to @Jaysen, @Jessica Booker and @Jacob Miller To anyone that needs a bit of hope - keep making those applications! It only takes 1! :) xx

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Applied for Clifford Chance Direct TC 2023 start, was sent the WG link last week and today got an email saying they're putting my application on hold and will let me know if they'd like to take it further in the Spring 🤷‍♀️ first time I've seen this

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Wow! I can't even believe I'm writing this but just received a TC offer from my dream firm! I really thought this day would never come. After 2-3 years of rejections, and not a single VAC scheme/day of legal experience, I can't believe this has happened. Thank you to everyone on the forums for your help and support, and for not letting me lose hope. Thank you so so much, especially to @Jaysen, @Jessica Booker and @Jacob Miller To anyone that needs a bit of hope - keep making those applications! It only takes 1! :) xx
Clap Applause GIF

I love posts like this! Literally they make my day.

Congratulations - I am delighted for you

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I'm absolutely delighted for you, really well done. No doubt you've put so much hard work into this process.

Thank you also for sharing this in the forum. I am sure this gives hope to other members who may not have legal experience or have been through several cycles.

Please do celebrate!

Reactions: GXA123 and djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.