TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
I had a look at the forum and found a post by @Rob93. There, it says that `70% is the post-app percentage for VS, 77% for direct TC. Difference I believe is that if you're applying for VS you submit work history info only if invited to AC, while it is included in the base application for direct TC.` So, I guess it's just a confirmation of how far you've got so far but it does not count the SJT.
This is so helpful thank you!

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
To those who had long and hard journey before you got a TC, how many apps did you make before you got the call per cycle? I feel like it’s neverending
I deffo feel the same!! Feel like it’s never going to happen but after some long discussions with my parents I think Im going to take the rest of this year off from applying until summer (I’m doing conversion so will be after exams)! I think (everything i’ve read online says it lol) that it’s definitely a marathon not a sprint and every rejection you get is helping you know how to improve on apps and means that when you do get a TC it will be so much better & rewarding! :) xx

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
I had a look at the forum and found a post by @Rob93. There, it says that `70% is the post-app percentage for VS, 77% for direct TC. Difference I believe is that if you're applying for VS you submit work history info only if invited to AC, while it is included in the base application for direct TC.` So, I guess it's just a confirmation of how far you've got so far but it does not count the SJT.
Brilliant, thanks for explaining mate.

Reactions: F99

Bonolaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hey guys- need some tips on NRF telephone interview- could someone please help on how long should my answers be, and what are they trying to test? I was rejected last time from this stage even though I thought I had a good interview- if someone could guide me, it'll be v helpful!! thanks
    Have to ask, how have you managed to apply to them twice in one application cycle?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Congrats!! What do you think the difference was this time round?

I haven’t heard back from CMS post VI despite applying around the same time so it’s not looking too promising!
    I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t heard back from them yet! Fingers crossed for good news 🤞

i think the difference was that i was much more confident this time round in answering questions. I had prompts preempting different types of questions and could utilise it. Also i tried to quantify all my answers as much as possible by giving very specific examples of how i made impact. In relation to my why firm answer i tied into a point in relation to an event that i went to with CMS linking it back to my own experience!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    CC PFO on app stage. I swear I had such a good app, very disappointed :(
    Hi @vacschemeapss,

All I would say is not to take this personally. Getting past the application stage is arguably the most arbitrary (and is, to some extent, down to the most luck). Don't let this deter you from your other applications.

Do tag me or others in the team (@James Carrabino and @AvniD) if you would like help with anything!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t heard back from them yet! Fingers crossed for good news 🤞

i think the difference was that i was much more confident this time round in answering questions. I had prompts preempting different types of questions and could utilise it. Also i tried to quantify all my answers as much as possible by giving very specific examples of how i made impact. In relation to my why firm answer i tied into a point in relation to an event that i went to with CMS linking it back to my own experience!
    @ZaraB this is great advice!

Quantifying your evidence/answers is a great way of avoiding sounding vague and wishy-washy in interviews. Rounding off answers (i.e., linking back to yourself) is a great way of demonstrating that you have thought through your responses which is obviously attractive to interviewers.

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling more confident giving answers this cycle too 🚀

• Love
    Reactions: ZaraB

JSisk

Dec 12, 2021
    No - society positions should not be in work experience, they should be in any extra curricular section if there is one. If there isn’t, then the firm isn’t as interested in them. They can be woven into statements/cover letters or competency answers where appropriate though.
    What is your stance on whether writing for a law module newsletter and volunteering? Would either of these be appropriate for the work experience section or should this be in extra curricular?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What is your stance on whether writing for a law module newsletter and volunteering? Would either of these be appropriate for the work experience section or should this be in extra curricular?
    The module newsletter sounds like extra curriculars. Volunteering is more of a grey area as to which category it falls into. Ultimately if it’s attached to the university, technically it would be considered extra curriculars, but such roles are ok to put in work experience sections.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    Is it still worth applying to a firm which recruits on a rolling basis if the deadline is in 2 weeks? Don't want to waste my time - really have no idea what is realistic!
    It really depends on the firm - so many firms wait until after deadline to hold AC even when they are rolling. Last year I applied on deadline of 7 rolling firms, made it to 5 AC and 2 said they were full! So

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.