TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Just did the RS VI and let's just say that I'm not holding out much hope! My mum ended up walking into my room asking me what type of crackers we should have for the dinner table, and me having to politely tell her to PFO while it was recording...will be expecting my PFO shortly🤣🤣
Honestly do not worry - we are all human and have awkward things like this happen! The firm will understand and it may have subconsciously helped you loosen up for the rest of the VI :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I did the NRF WG last Wednesday and haven't heard back. I'm guessing I got rejected? :((( I really liked the firm so it hurts.
@commercialhoe-yer It is honestly never a rejection until you get the rejection e-mail. I once received a VI invite for a firm four months after applying when others who applied much later than me received VI invites within a matter of days (and before me). I had crossed the firm off my list completely as I assumed it was game over - I have had other similar examples of this happening too!

Also, even if it does end up coming back as a rejection, I know that you will end up finding a firm that is right for you :) It is great to set your sights on certain firms as it makes for better-crafted applications, but once you send out your application you should try not to get too invested as it is truly impossible to know what the person reading your application was looking for at the time!

The great thing about the legal market is there are loads of excellent firms out there. There is also a lot of flexibility to move around post-qualification so you really cannot go wrong wherever you train!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just did the RS VI and let's just say that I'm not holding out much hope! My mum ended up walking into my room asking me what type of crackers we should have for the dinner table, and me having to politely tell her to PFO while it was recording...will be expecting my PFO shortly🤣🤣
Nothing like this will impact your performance in the assessment. I have lost count how many times things like this happen.

If anything you get a bit of kudos if you maintain your composure and continue without it impacting your delivery once the moment has passed.

• 🤝
Reactions: AW_08 and James Carrabino

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Has anyone applied to direct TC with AG. It’s one of my preferred firms but the deadline is in two weeks and I’ve got other deadlines coming up. For the other two firms they mostly/exclusively taken on applicants from the vac schemers. Unlike other firms AG haven’t advertised their direct TC application date yet so not sure if they look mostly at vac schemers?

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
I applied to Willkie a day before the deadline and received an email on the 20th (Monday) saying I will get a response from the 4th of January, did anyone else get this? and is it a good sign or a bad one
Hi @nae_omi thanks for your query. The email, which was sent to everyone who applied from 13 December onwards, was simply to manage expectations as it isn't possible to review all applications before Christmas (I'm on annual leave between Christmas and NY). Thanks, Gemma

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
Hi @nae_omi thanks for your query. The email, which was sent to everyone who applied from 13 December onwards, was simply to manage expectations as it isn't possible to review all applications before Christmas (I'm on annual leave between Christmas and NY). Thanks, Gemma
Hi Gemma,

Would you say that, given the firm recruits on a rolling basis, those who applied after 13 December will be at a disadvantage to progress?

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hi Gemma,

Would you say that, given the firm recruits on a rolling basis, those who applied after 13 December will be at a disadvantage to progress?
̷I̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷n̷k̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷'̷v̷e̷ ̷a̷n̷s̷w̷e̷r̷e̷d̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷r̷ ̷o̷w̷n̷ ̷q̷u̷e̷s̷t̷i̷o̷n̷.̷̷. I̷'̷d̷ ̷s̷a̷y̷ ̷r̷e̷a̷l̷i̷s̷t̷i̷c̷a̷l̷l̷y̷ ̷s̷p̷e̷a̷k̷i̷n̷g̷,̷ ̷y̷o̷u̷'̷d̷ ̷b̷e̷ ̷m̷o̷s̷t̷ ̷a̷d̷v̷a̷n̷t̷a̷g̷e̷d̷ ̷a̷p̷p̷l̷y̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷o̷n̷ ̷d̷a̷y̷ ̷1̷ ̷w̷h̷e̷n̷ ̷a̷p̷p̷l̷i̷c̷a̷t̷i̷o̷n̷s̷ ̷o̷p̷e̷n̷.̷ ̷W̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷r̷o̷l̷l̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷a̷p̷p̷l̷i̷c̷a̷t̷i̷o̷n̷s̷,̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷s̷ ̷a̷d̷v̷a̷n̷t̷a̷g̷e̷ ̷r̷e̷d̷u̷c̷e̷s̷ ̷w̷i̷t̷h̷ ̷t̷i̷m̷e̷,̷ ̷u̷n̷d̷e̷r̷ ̷t̷h̷e̷ ̷a̷s̷s̷u̷m̷p̷t̷i̷o̷n̷ ̷t̷h̷a̷t̷ ̷a̷p̷p̷l̷i̷c̷a̷t̷i̷o̷n̷s̷ ̷b̷e̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷s̷u̷b̷m̷i̷t̷t̷e̷d̷ ̷a̷r̷e̷ ̷o̷f̷ ̷a̷ ̷c̷e̷r̷t̷a̷i̷n̷ ̷s̷t̷a̷n̷d̷a̷r̷d̷.̷

I've struck off my reply based on information from Gemma's response below. My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anoned

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma,

Hi @Anoned Not at all. It would make a mockery of the entire application process if you applied advantage/disadvantage to candidates on the basis of the date they applied. As long as an application is made within the application window, it's considered fully no matter the date it comes in. I think that the reason often candidates see more unsuccessful applications nearer the end of an application window is that, sometimes, applications can (not always!) be made in a bit of a rush and that comes through when I'm reading them.

Also, just as an aside, we review on a rolling basis, rather than recruit (I've amended our wording on our website to reflect this but not the brochure).

Anoned

Distinguished Member
Nov 1, 2021
I think you've answered your own question.

I'd say realistically speaking, you'd be most advantaged applying on day 1 when applications open. With rolling applications, this advantage reduces with time, under the assumption that applications being submitted are of a certain standard.
Looks like that's not the case for Willkie given Gemma's response. Thank you for your input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.