TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
congrats 🎉 🎉 it is not automatic, and I believe they only review based on the WG (they want very high scores tho). Goodluck
Okay, thanks! Any idea how how very high is? Bizarre how some firms have different thresholds for the same test when all operating in same/similar talent pools.

violeta

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
Can someone please confirm when the Reed Smith VI interview deadline is? I thought it was tonight but I've just logged onto the portal and it says December 23 which is obviously tomorrow. Do you know if it's 00:00 tonight (so technically the beginning of Dec 23rd) or tomorrow night 11:59pm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Okay, thanks! Any idea how how very high is? Bizarre how some firms have different thresholds for the same test when all operating in same/similar talent pools.
So the reason for this is that they are not necessarily being assessed against the same groups.

Firm A could be taking your test and assessing it against GCSE level educated candidates while Firm B could be taking the same test results and assessing you against partners within a law firm. Being assessed against different norm groups could result in less than the 20th percentile in one and over the 80th percentile in the other.

So why do firms use different norm groups? Well, it depends on how they use the test. Some firms will have a "low" norm group as they may use the assessment for apprentices, interns and grads. Other firms may use the "higher" norm group because they are trying to recruit long-term talent and therefore want to compare you against long term talent within the firm.

There are a few other considerations why percentile rankings can be different. The key one is diversity concerns. Sometimes these assessments disproportionately filter out certain groups more so than others. Having a lower percentile benchmark can remove this though. So some firms wish they could put their benchmark up to help with the selection process, but know if they want to recruit diverse talent, they will be hampering their efforts if they do so.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone please confirm when the Reed Smith VI interview deadline is? I thought it was tonight but I've just logged onto the portal and it says December 23 which is obviously tomorrow. Do you know if it's 00:00 tonight (so technically the beginning of Dec 23rd) or tomorrow night 11:59pm?
Which portal is it?

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
So the reason for this is that they are not necessarily being assessed against the same groups.

Firm A could be taking your test and assessing it against GCSE level educated candidates while Firm B could be taking the same test results and assessing you against partners within a law firm. Being assessed against different norm groups could result in less than the 20th percentile in one and over the 80th percentile in the other.

So why do firms use different norm groups? Well, it depends on how they use the test. Some firms will have a "low" norm group as they may use the assessment for apprentices, interns and grads. Other firms may use the "higher" norm group because they are trying to recruit long-term talent and therefore want to compare you against long term talent within the firm.

There are a few other considerations why percentile rankings can be different. The key one is diversity concerns. Sometimes these assessments disproportionately filter out certain groups more so than others. Having a lower percentile benchmark can remove this though. So some firms wish they could put their benchmark up to help with the selection process, but know if they want to recruit diverse talent, they will be hampering their efforts if they do so.
Thanks for this Jessica! Helps a lot.

Reactions: GXA123

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
Thank you- completed it on Sunday.
Thanks! In terms of TI - it's the typical why law, why NRF, one commercial question, one competency etc. It's very brief phone call and grad rec are so lovely. My advice is don't script answers (they can tell) and don't over prepare, just make it very natural. The interview bit isn't very conversational, they will ask you the set questions and listen to you talk so just make sure you give a full account of what you want to say because they won't prompt you to speak more

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Thanks! In terms of TI - it's the typical why law, why NRF, one commercial question, one competency etc. It's very brief phone call and grad rec are so lovely. My advice is don't script answers (they can tell) and don't over prepare, just make it very natural. The interview bit isn't very conversational, they will ask you the set questions and listen to you talk so just make sure you give a full account of what you want to say because they won't prompt you to speak more
Thank you! Also not sure if I should reply to the email thanking grad rec for progressing my app- sorry not sure if this something ppl usually do?

Reactions: ellwilsen

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Still haven't heard back from Slaughters for Summer VS. Interviews are meant to start next week, and all my friends have either been rejected or invited to interview. Not sure what to do. How common is it for an application to slip through and be forgotten about?
    You might be on the waiting list

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.