TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Happy Holidays Everyone! The Davis Polk website states that "We will be accepting applications for our summer 2022 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates". Does that mean that as a final year law undergraduate that I can't apply for it?

Reactions: CorporateLaw101

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Happy Holidays Everyone! The Davis Polk website states that "We will be accepting applications for our summer 2022 vacation scheme from penultimate-year law undergraduates and law postgraduates". Does that mean that as a final year law undergraduate that I can't apply for it?
    Not likely, many firms class final years as penultimate for some reason when referring to vacation schemes. Although, Davis Polk is a ‘white shoe’ firm and probably hires the majority of their candidates from Oxbridge so it could well be the case that only second year or postgrads may apply.

Reactions: 21wajsz

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Not likely, many firms class final years as penultimate for some reason when referring to vacation schemes. Although, Davis Polk is a ‘white shoe’ firm and probably hires the majority of their candidates from Oxbridge so it could well be the case that only second year or postgrads may apply.
    I applied for Davis Polk whiledoing the GDL - didn't get anywhere with them, but I recall them not minding academic stage provided that you can start training in 2 years' time.

True that they do hire disproportionately from oxbridge, though I'd take that with a grain of salt given their intake is tiny so statistics end up being fairly extreme.

Also, as Paul Gascoyne has repeatedly mentioned regarding Shearman, which is also one of the classic white shoes, oxbridge candidates are disproportionately represented in the applicant pool as many self-select out of the process for some of the extremely elite US firms. You're not in it unless you're in it l, and I wouldn't get too hung up on past intake origin unis.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Applied to A&O in Sep, they could send PFO anytime in the past three months but so kindly they choose to send it on Christmas Day…😂
    Just got mine! What kind of firm sends rejections on Christmas Day, absolutely savage. Surely Grad Rec aren’t working today 💀
    Merry Christmas all. Hope you have a lovely day. ❤️

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Take care of yourselves and put the successes and failures of the past few weeks out of your mind for a short time - relax with family and friends and make sure that you eat too much!

You all form such a wonderful community and it is our honour at TCLA to be able to help you where we can :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Applied to A&O in Sep, they could send PFO anytime in the past three months but so kindly they choose to send it on Christmas Day…😂
    Just got mine! What kind of firm sends rejections on Christmas Day, absolutely savage. Surely Grad Rec aren’t working today 💀
    Merry Christmas all. Hope you have a lovely day. ❤️
    I am honestly so sorry to hear about this; that's really not appropriate on their part. It's not worth your time getting too disappointed over though, so make sure you both take time and enjoy a festive day!

We will be celebrating both of your successes in no time, I am sure :)

RS31

Distinguished Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    Does anyone know if Sullivan & Cromwell is rolling? I can't make out from their UK recruitment page.

Also, if firms are rolling (deadlines in the first week of Jan), is it ok to sent in my applications in the coming days? Or is it weird to be applying on Boxing day xD

kmax301

Esteemed Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Anyone else applying to AG? Am I the only one who lost around 1000 words of text because their system can’t properly save information? The worst application system I’ve ever encountered

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if Sullivan & Cromwell is rolling? I can't make out from their UK recruitment page.

Also, if firms are rolling (deadlines in the first week of Jan), is it ok to sent in my applications in the coming days? Or is it weird to be applying on Boxing day xD
    So many people apply over the Christmas break - it really isn’t an issue.

Reactions: George Maxwell

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021

From what I know S&C operates on a rolling basis. Your application will be reviewed by the recruitment panel first. If successful, they will put your application on hold, then advise whether they would like to invite you to an interview at a later date.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.