TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo11

Dec 15, 2021
Should I spend my time applying to firms whose A-Level requirements I don't meet or would it be a waste? I have mitigating circumstances but not sure if they're "enough" to be considered. And generally, given that I do apply but don't meet either requirement, would I be more successful applying to a firm with ABB requirement rather than AAB or does it not make a difference at that point? Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Should I spend my time applying to firms whose A-Level requirements I don't meet or would it be a waste? I have mitigating circumstances but not sure if they're "enough" to be considered. And generally, given that I do apply but don't meet either requirement, would I be more successful applying to a firm with ABB requirement rather than AAB or does it not make a difference at that point? Thank you in advance!
Feel free to PM me with details on your extenuating circumstances and I can provide more context/advice.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Just as expected, A&O direct TC PFO 😭Getting rejections left, right and centre ☹️☹️☹️☹️ So disappointing that I am never able to make it to an interview ☹️

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that! Have you taken a break from applications since you've been getting these rejections?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone
Just a question about the 'what's a recent news article that interests you and how will it impact the firm' question.
Is it ok to talk about something the firm is involved in i.e their client is one of the parties concerned. I know it's a bit risky but it is something I'm genuinely interested in.
Go for it! Remember to keep the focus on why that article interested you and the impact it may have on the firm- resist the temptation to use this opportunity to talk solely about the firm and why they're great. All the best! 😇

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Anyone who has completed the Weil WG Test, did you receive a confirmation email or any other form of confirmation communication after completing the Test? I didn't and so am left wondering if otherwise is the usual case.

Reactions: M&Amakesmyday

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Does anyone know when HSF get back to summer applicants regarding AC offers (those that have passed the Online Test)? I am aware they have offered ACs to spring candidates already. My guess for summer applicants would be ACs in late January to February. Am I far off?

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
Anyone who has completed the Weil WG Test, did you receive a confirmation email or any other form of confirmation communication after completing the Test? I didn't and so am left wondering if otherwise is the usual case.
Sorry I can’t be of my help, but can I ask when you submitted your app and got your WG invite?

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I was wondering if it is inappropriate to ask for the percentage of vac schemers that are recruited onto the training contract prior to attending my AC?

Edit: I know CMS has said they recruit 90% of vac schemers onto their traineeship and was wondering if anyone has this info for DLA and Dentons this year

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2020
    I was wondering if it is inappropriate to ask for the percentage of vac schemers that are recruited onto the training contract prior to attending my AC?

Edit: I know CMS has said they recruit 90% of vac schemers onto their traineeship and was wondering if anyone has this info for DLA and Dentons this year
    I would say don't get too caught up on the conversion rate and focus more on what you're doing to be the best! I did that on my VS last year where it was a 95% conversion and I was (unluckily) in that 5% that didn't! Focusing on yourself instead of the statistics will mean that you have a better time and nothing is guaranteed even with strong statistics :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The answer you will get is that there isn’t a fixed percentage and that ultimately they could convert 0% if the candidates were all not of a good standard and they could fill 100% of their TCs or 100% of their vac schemers could be made offers (whatever is the lower number) if the cohort was strong enough.

As an exceptionally rough approximation, take 75% of the total vac scheme numbers and then take 75% of that number - that’s likely to give you an approximate number of TCs filled by vac schemers, once you factor in that not everyone is going to meet their criteria and then not everyone is going to accept an offer. With CMS they offer 90% of their vac schemers, but that does not mean they all accept, and so they won’t have converted all of them into TCs.

Reactions: xtinew

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Not vac scheme related but just wanted to wish everybody happy holidays and merry Christmas! Hope everybody can get some rest, and spend time with their loved ones. 🎄

To those spending holiday season self-isolating/alone, hang in there and please take care of yourself. I couldn't be with family this time around due to financial constraints, so I get how difficult it might be but I hope you get to treat yourselves with a well-deserved break from applications!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.