TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well, I have a question. I’ve been offered a month’s internship at a national law firm. I genuinely want the experience (and pay😅) but in the email, it said it would start late June/early July. I’m also currently in the final stage of a legal summer analyst role which would take 2 months (at a much larger and international PE firm) and starts in June. How do I approach emailing the law firm to request starting the internship later in the summer. It isn’t a vacation scheme so I’m assuming they have more flexibility on when I can start the internship? Any insight or advice is appreciated, thank you!!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Just got the Latham behaviour test feedback report surprised by my results got attention to detail and analytical complex thinking. Any thoughts on this from anyone who has been successful with Latham.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    I applied for Baker McKenzie summer vac scheme on 25 December 2021 but have not received a WG invite (application form deadline was 1 Jan 2022). My friend applied around the beginning of December 2021 and said she got invited to WG a few days after. Is it worth emailing grad rec to ask about the WG? not sure if they do automatic WG invites or if they screen all applications and shortlist for WG?

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    I applied for Baker McKenzie summer vac scheme on 25 December 2021 but have not received a WG invite (application form deadline was 1 Jan 2022). My friend applied around the beginning of December 2021 and said she got invited to WG a few days after. Is it worth emailing grad rec to ask about the WG? not sure if they do automatic WG invites or if they screen all applications and shortlist for WG?
    It's not automatic. WG is the second stage of the process. Since you applied during holidays, it's too soon to expect to hear back from them i guess. Just for context, they're running VIs till February, so there's enough time!!

Reactions: average_jo123

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Also I applied for A&O's summer vac scheme about 4 days before the deadline (deadline was 15 Dec 2021), passed the SJT and have not heard back ever since. Application portal says my application is still under review. I'm aware that they recruit on a rolling basis - is there a chance that they may be interviewing and sending out AC invites at the same time depending on the outcome of the candidates that they are currently interviewing? Since ACs are most likely taking place throughout January, does it mean that I'll be expecting a PFO soon?

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    Hi they screen apps first, I wouldn’t email yet. I applied in October and only received the WG in late December.

Reactions: average_jo123

OliverF77

Dec 23, 2021
    Got a VI for Irwin Mitchell a few days ago but have been busy at work. Does anyone know if the 7 day period is inclusive of the day of receiving the email? e.g. if I received on the 2nd, do I have until the 8th or 9th?

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Got a VI for Irwin Mitchell a few days ago but have been busy at work. Does anyone know if the 7 day period is inclusive of the day of receiving the email? e.g. if I received on the 2nd, do I have until the 8th or 9th?
    It is exactly 7 days from when you received it. So if you received it at 2pm on the 2nd, then the latest you can submit it is 1:59pm on the 9th.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OliverF77 and GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well, I have a question. I’ve been offered a month’s internship at a national law firm. I genuinely want the experience (and pay😅) but in the email, it said it would start late June/early July. I’m also currently in the final stage of a legal summer analyst role which would take 2 months (at a much larger and international PE firm) and starts in June. How do I approach emailing the law firm to request starting the internship later in the summer. It isn’t a vacation scheme so I’m assuming they have more flexibility on when I can start the internship? Any insight or advice is appreciated, thank you!!
    You just need to explain you are not available until whatever date it is and ask if there is any flexibility to start sometime from that date onwards. Be prepared for them to say no and that the dates are fixed, and then you'll have to make a decision of whether to turn that role or the PE firm role down.

Reactions: summer207
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.