TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellandbielsa

Jan 8, 2022
I don't mean this in a confrontational way, but it seems you are veering slightly into the "I am entitled to an offer" mindset. You gotta' snap out of that. It's not going to do you any favours.

It is a brutal process, which is why it's important to be honest with youself. You've listed out all of your strengths, but what do you think your weaknesses are? (I'm not asking you to tell me, but rather reflect on it). I think it's also important to ask yourself "if my application really is as strong as I believe it is, why am I not getting offers?" Some of it could indeed be factors beyond your control, but I'm sure you'll be able to find some things that are under your control. Once you identify them, you can work on addressing them.

One of my favourite quotes is by Marcus Aurelius and I think of it often when I'm feeling down:

"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.'
The problem is that I have literally done that. I have gotten my apps reviewed by so many people - as I said - who themselves have secured these roles. And I have applied every single piece of advice and corrected every single mistake found.I know the power of introspection and I really do have tried to use that to improve my application strength.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I'm genuinely curious as to how one would wholly avoid policy reasoning in a question like this. Any change of law must have a purpose, and the purpose will presumably be a matter of policy.

I would imagine that the line of argument has to be 'the current position is suboptimal because [X], [this] position would be preferable because [Y], [such and such] change to law would achieve this. [A] possible consequence would need to be considered but this might be addressed by .'

I imagine the trick is to avoid spending too much wordcount on the broad policy point - keep it specific and focus on the legal mechanism. But I cannot conceive of a good answer which would eschew policy entirely, though perhaps this is a lack of imagination on my part.
    Thank you for this it is really helpful.

ellandbielsa

Jan 8, 2022
    Your second paragraph is something a lot of people who are really struggling might agree with so its worth explaining why its dumb. You clearly lack the ability to self reflect and accept that you're doing something wrong. That makes you unsuitable for being a lawyer, because it's a highly demanding job that requires self-criticism and constant personal/professional growth.

You were also given a chance with an MC vac scheme so clearly you're not being discriminated against. You were unable to convert, which is very normal, but instead of having the self awareness and humility to grow from that and improve yourself, you've chosen instead to look for someone to blame.
    As I explained above I have asked so many people to review my apps. I have applied every single piece of advice.

As for the vac scheme, my father passed away during the scheme, and I was unable to attend two days of it and was in no way mentally prepared to give it my best during the TC interview. My mistake was not explaining this to GR so I could get more leniency and understanding during the review process. I was in a massive existential crisis and made the not very level-headed decision that it was no point telling GR about this because I would rather stay in my home town and take care of my family and never consider a career in London again. Anyway, enough sob stories; my point is that whatever weakness that led to me not converting has nothing to do with my application pre-interview stage. For the application itself I have sought out so many resources and advice and I am not even reaching the interview stage.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    The problem is that I have literally done that. I have gotten my apps reviewed by so many people - as I said - who themselves have secured these roles. And I have applied every single piece of advice and corrected every single mistake found.I know the power of introspection and I really do have tried to use that to improve my application strength.
    Well I can't go into specifics because I don't know you. However, I propose this to you:

You truly have achieved the ultimate application and you're still getting rejected. If this is true, you're never going to get an offer.

or

There is something you are missing and you haven't found it yet.

I know which option I would rather choose.

allthingslegaltech

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 7, 2022
    That’s what they’ve done so far tbf, but they don’t seem to have rejected anyone yet. Plus deadline was a couple of weeks ago, so you’d imagine this was final set of offers.
    True but with Christmas, New Years, and planning for 2022 they may still be working through them. I hope anyway, I applied v late in the app window and have also not heard anything so fingers crossed!

I'd assume if you've not heard anything so far today you probably won't hear anything until next week earliest so don't let it play on your mind all weekend :)

Reactions: Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    That’s what they’ve done so far tbf, but they don’t seem to have rejected anyone yet. Plus deadline was a couple of weeks ago, so you’d imagine this was final set of offers.
    I imagine this was the first set of offers - I haven't seen anyone on this forum confirm a response from Skadden prior to today, and I very much doubt that multiple batches of probably ~20+ TI invites have gone out in the past months without anyone active on this forum amongst the recipients.

Skadden was always a longshot for me so I'm not clinging to hope here or anything, but I don't see it as time to throw in the towel yet.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Getting your applications reviewed is helpful, but have you taken the time to self-reflect on the more fundamental aspects of what goes into these applications? Specifically, are your motivations convincing? Are they entirely unique to you, well-thought out, and targeted at the types of firms you want to work for?

Too many people fall into the trap of thinking an application is just a checkbox exercise - if they say the right things like everyone else says or does, they’ll get through. The reality is all that does is make your application generic. The people who stand out, and get through, do so because their applications are a true representation of themselves, their experience, and what motivates them in their career.

That’s not to say your applications aren’t strong - evidently they are as you have had made it through to the final stages before, but my advice to anyone who is struggling at the application stage is to ensure you take the time to dig deep into your motivations rather than simply replicate what is considered ‘successful’.

Last edited:

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    I imagine this was the first set of offers - I haven't seen anyone on this forum confirm a response from Skadden prior to today, and I very much doubt that multiple batches of probably ~20+ TI invites have gone out in the past months without anyone active on this forum amongst the recipients.

Skadden was always a longshot for me so I'm not clinging to hope here or anything, but I don't see it as time to throw in the towel yet.
    I’ve saw some people post offers pre Xmas, so assumed they must had TI’s.

But same for me skadden was a long shot, but also my strongest app imo

Reactions: mome101

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Last cycle, I applied rather late (23rd December! and got a TI invitation on 16th January. There was a batch of TI invites before mine and another after! I'd say not to worry and remember that the Skadden Grad Rec team isn't the largest

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020

Getting your applications reviewed is helpful, but have you taken the time to self-reflect on the more fundamental aspects of what goes into these applications? Specifically, are your motivations convincing? Are they entirely unique to you, well-thought out, and targeted at the types of firms you want to work for?

Too many people fall into the trap of thinking an application is just a checkbox exercise - if they say the right things like everyone else says or does, they’ll get through. The reality is all that does is make your application generic. The people who stand out, and get through, do so because their applications are a true representation of themselves, their experience, and what motivates them in their career.

That’s not to say your applications aren’t strong - evidently they are as you have had made it through to the final stages before, but my advice to anyone who is struggling at the application stage is to ensure you taken the time to dig deep into your motivations rather than simply replicate what is considered ‘successful’.
    I think getting your apps reviewed by people is really great - helps to get a fresh pair of eyes to look over for grammar, spelling mistakes etc. At the same time, just because they have secured the roles, it doesn't suddenly make them an expert on application writing. Chances are, they themselves also don't know why their application was successful, they can only guess. So unless you get grad rec to read it and give you feedback, everything is just a speculation as to why this app was successful and this app wasn't.

But I think @Lumree expressed it so well. If you style your app in a similar way to successful applications, you lose originality

stemlawgal

Distinguished Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 8, 2020
    Does anyone know what kind of percentiles Ashurst look for in their psychometric tests? Completed mine earlier today and can't tell if I should be pleased with my results or not.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    At least in this thread, everything pre-Xmas was to do with their Open Day.

And their deadline was immediately before Xmas holidays, so I really would more expect this to be the first flight of invites.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019

There were only around 15ish slots for TI when I checked (TI invite arrived at 7am, checked slots 4 hours later), both on 10th January and 11th January. They said to me that they'll be doing their AC split across a few days the week after - the group and written exercise will be on 19th or 20th January, followed by interview on 24th.

They get like 1500 applications and invite like 80 people to AC (according to chambers student). Given the deadline wasn't that long ago, I doubt it's the end of the line for people who haven't heard back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.