TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlecat

Jan 15, 2021
So the way I approached this question was more focused on that last part i.e. "how would you help the firm to continue to be a socially responsible organisation?". It's not directly asking how you would help the firm maintain its B-Corp status specifically, but more enquiring as to your own values and how you would continue to harness these at Bates Wells to help drive CSR. If that makes sense.

I did open my answer with a reference to B-Corp status as I wanted to demonstrate my understanding of it but then the rest of my answer lead into talking about my previous volunteer work, how I continue to be social responsible alongside my other commitments, followed by how this would add value to Bates Wells specifically based on their various commitments to social responsibility I found through research.

I hope this gives you some idea of where to start! I got invited to WG which means I passed the initial screening stage so I guess it is a least somewhat relevant 😭 😭

Also feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything else regarding Bates Wells apps, would be good to have a support network :)
This is so helpful, thank you! And massive congratulations on getting through to Watson Glaser. I hope I can do the same. :)

• Love
Reactions: anon123456789

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hey guys,

I submitted an application to Freshfields, but I made a mistake and I do not know to what extent that mistake will play a role in the outcome of my application.

In a work experience entry, my first sentence was I rotated across the immigration and property departments. I talked so much about my work in the property department, but did not talk about my work in the immigration department. This was my final work experience entry in the form.

How will graduate recruitment consider this mistake.

Thanks,
Rijul
I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll likely read this as indicating that you particularly enjoyed the property work/got a lot out of it.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Yeah I’m aware, was just pointing it out because a lot of times you’re made to feel pressured to submit ASAP, or that your chances decrease the closer the deadline gets. Evidently not true.
Oh okay, it wasn’t initially clear what aspect you were referring to. Yeah I understand what you mean. Personally, I think if anyone wants to apply for a firm, they might as well put in an application. If a firm thinks an application is strong, they will progress it regardless of when it was submitted. However, your chances do decrease depending to what extent the firm is rolling. I applied to Mayer Brown on the deadline last year and I don’t think my cover letter was even considered because they had filled their VS spots by then, so very firm-dependent.

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Does anyone know what the comparison group is for Arctic Shores? For quite a few of the traits measured my report says I was as likely "as most other people in the comparison group" to act a certain way, i.e., was in the middle of the scale between two extremes. Is this a bad thing?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Wahoo! Through to strengths assessment and verbal reasoning tests for Mayer Brown direct TC.

is this very similar to other firms’ situational judgement test / critical thinking? Like Linklaters’?
    Strengths assessment is a pretty straightforward SJT. Mayer Brown's verbal reasoning is a bit unlike anything I've seen elsewhere, and tests a broader range of attributes than straight-on critical reasoning.

Reactions: Zubin and GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.