TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemperParatus

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Jan 9, 2022
I just want them to give me my PFO and stop daaaangling me.

Also it feels like it was just yesterday that I was frantically pounding back low calorie red bulls and getting my macfarlanes application together. Absolutely mad that it’s almost been 2 weeks.
if I get a pfo from macfarlanes it will be the third time the firm is rejecting me in some capacity (other two being 1 week experiences etc) lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know which firms actually prioritise RG/Oxbridge grads?

I understand that there is a huge misconception that firms prioritise RG candidates when in reality this is largely incorrect. However, does anyone know of firms that actively do engage in this practise?

i.e. Sherman and sterling have 4% non RG trainees.
I have never heard of a firm prioritising RG or Oxbridge applicants.

Shearman have an AAB at A-level requirement. By default, this means that most applicants will come from RG universities as these universities also have that requirement.

I worked for firms with similar A-level requirements and it meant that the overwhelming majority of applicants were from RG universities, as those who went to non-RG universities were more likely to not meet the minimum criteria and therefore self-selected out from applying. Even when I was at a firm with non minimum A-level grades nearly 25% of our applications came from Oxbridge alone, despite doing campus events at over 40 universities (including many non RG).

route10

Oct 21, 2021
Got a lovely PFO from Hogan Lovells aswell. But I thought I did well on the WG.
In fact I asked for and received the WG report from Linklaters after their PFO from the winter vac, and I did exceptionally well, so what the heck were they looking for?
I'd be interested in getting a WG report for Hogan Lovells too, but I can't find the relevant contact info.
I was able to get my WG result back from hogan lovells just by emailing grad rec and asking my score

Reactions: Erwin Attle

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just did my VI for Irwin Mitchell and for a few questions i got cut off. I've done a few VI's and never feel good about them- I feel like I present myself in a much better way in live interviews. Feeling so disheartened by how many law firms recruitment processes have a video interview element that just doesnt accurately portray ones personality- i come off as cold and not friendly I feel.... :( i fucking hate the application process for law firms. I understand they receive thousands of applications but just feel that it's not personal at all and is centered around quickly cutting down the pool of people by criteria that is not relevant/representative of what you are actually capable of and what you can bring to the firm....
I completely understand the frustrations.

What I will say is that, in my opinion, video interviews have transformed graduate recruitment for the better.

They are far much more personal than making arbitrary decisions on an application form. I was really sceptical about video interviews to start with, for exactly the same reason as you have stated. However, I implemented it at a law firm purely because the recruitment process wasn't working effectively. It meant that rather than having to make a really harsh cut of roughly 1500 applications down to 75 face-to-face interviews, I could see around 250 people at video interview and then only have to see 50 or so at the face-to-face interview stage. That in turn transformed the diversity of their trainees (university attended, social mobility, ethnicity and age) because we weren't having to make as harsh a cut purely based on an application form.

I wish there was a process that was completely personal that didn't require an individual recruiter spending time talking to each candidate. Whoever came up with such a system would be exceptional wealthy!

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Just had my NRF telephone interview (it was a bit wobbly if I’m honest), but grad rec said they’re interviewing people till early next week & they expect to get back to us ASAP. 🤞
    Oh god now I’m nervous 😬 dw mine was also wobbly and I wasn’t sure I put all my points across eloquently 🤷🏻‍♀️ I also had to mention to grad rec that I was feeling exceptionally unwell because of my booster! Finger crossed and best of luck 🙏🏼

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.