TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Rejection post AC from CMS 😭 I am tiyaaaaaad of this cycle already
    Hey, I got rejected by CMS post-AC last cycle so seeing this post just made me remember how I felt then lol

But honestly, they give great feedback and they welcome you to apply again! I have an AC next week now so hoping second time is the charm!

Its so rough getting so close but honestly if you can reach AC then you're definitely able to get something soon!!

skmx

Star Member
    Nov 17, 2021
    Hey, I got rejected by CMS post-AC last cycle so seeing this post just made me remember how I felt then lol

But honestly, they give great feedback and they welcome you to apply again! I have an AC next week now so hoping second time is the charm!

Its so rough getting so close but honestly if you can reach AC then you're definitely able to get something soon!!
    Thank you. Had my moment and now onto the next 🤣✨ it’s all good practice so hopefully the next one is better. Good luck for yours🥳

• Love
    Reactions: OB

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Just did my VI for Irwin Mitchell and for a few questions i got cut off. I've done a few VI's and never feel good about them- I feel like I present myself in a much better way in live interviews. Feeling so disheartened by how many law firms recruitment processes have a video interview element that just doesnt accurately portray ones personality- i come off as cold and not friendly I feel.... :( i fucking hate the application process for law firms. I understand they receive thousands of applications but just feel that it's not personal at all and is centered around quickly cutting down the pool of people by criteria that is not relevant/representative of what you are actually capable of and what you can bring to the firm....
    There's something about sitting alone in a room staring at a camera answering questions prompted on a screen while a timer is ticking away that can be so unsettling in a VI.

The one thing that helped me get over this was treating VIs as an opportunity to be face-to-face with the firm to show them what I have to offer. I would crave this while writing applications because I felt like I wasn't able to put across the entirety of my personality, background or motivations on paper and needed a proper interaction with the firm.

VIs aren't perfect at all and there is room for improvement (do they 'need' to be so strictly timed, can someone from graduate recruitment video call to ask questions rather than have them prompted on the screen etc.) but they give you an opportunity to present at least some of your off paper, authentic self in an incredibly competitive and high-volume application process and that can be really invaluable if you choose to see it this way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.