TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Oh god now I’m nervous 😬 dw mine was also wobbly and I wasn’t sure I put all my points across eloquently 🤷🏻‍♀️ I also had to mention to grad rec that I was feeling exceptionally unwell because of my booster! Finger crossed and best of luck 🙏🏼
    I had the exact same issue with eloquence 😭 I hope you feel better soon !! & good luck to you too 🏆🏆

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When answering the question why this firm and when you state I am interested in this firm because of their strength in for example litigation. Is it okay to mention only 1 experience or can you state I am interested in litigation because of my experience at this open day and then say further developed my interest in litigation by doing this work as a paralegal. I mean is it good to state 2 exposures to the area of law or is 1 point okay. Sorry if this is confusing.
    Either approach will be fine - it is whatever your genuine reasons for pursuing it is really. Try to explain what it is about those experiences that has driven you, rather than experiences themselves (if that makes sense!).

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    When answering the question why this firm and when you state I am interested in this firm because of their strength in for example litigation. Is it okay to mention only 1 experience or can you state I am interested in litigation because of my experience at this open day and then say further developed my interest in litigation by doing this work as a paralegal. I mean is it good to state 2 exposures to the area of law or is 1 point okay. Sorry if this is confusing.
    I have learnt that it is actually hard to mention deals or ranks. So, why do you really like litigation? Uni module? what did you like about it and what can the firm offer you? Work experience? what did you like/learn and what does the firm offer you?
    I hope it helps

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Either approach will be fine - it is whatever your genuine reasons for pursuing it is really. Try to explain what it is about those experiences that has driven you, rather than experiences themselves (if that makes sense!).
    Thank you very much for this I was just asking that if you put 2 personal experiences will that make your application stronger as you have developed further interest in that area of law.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I have learnt that it is actually hard to mention deals or ranks. So, why do you really like litigation? Uni module? what did you like about it and what can the firm offer you? Work experience? what did you like/learn and what does the firm offer you?
    I hope it helps
    Thank you for this it is really helpful and uni modules is one of the reasons.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for this I was just asking that if you put 2 personal experiences will that make your application stronger as you have developed further interest in that area of law.
    It doesn't really work like that - for the recruiter they don't really worry about the number of examples, they just want to see the depth of thinking and more about you as an individual candidate. Hence my point on trying to explain what it was about the experiences that made it interesting enough to you that you wanted to pursue it further.

Last edited:

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    Hey all! I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Davis Polk since applying? Their website said they will host interviews in mid-January, however, I haven't heard anything back yet. Wondering if others haven't back either or are they one of the firms which essentially air applicants if rejected. Thanks!

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Hey all! I was wondering if anyone has heard anything from Davis Polk since applying? Their website said they will host interviews in mid-January, however, I haven't heard anything back yet. Wondering if others haven't back either or are they one of the firms which essentially air applicants if rejected. Thanks!
    I haven’t heard anything either. I have only seen one person on this forum get invited to an interview. I believe they call instead of emailing too.

• Wow
    Reactions: APPLE619

samni

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2020
    PFO from Macfarlanes.. This is my first proper round of applications (did 3 last year that were generic and rushed) and I really struggle to know if I'm writing them in the right way or if I'm just going the complete wrong route with them. I've done a year of IB applications where I got to AC multiple times and almost always got past the application stage/test stage, but I feel so uncertain with my law apps despite trying to implement all the advice around. It feels super hard to write apps without the confidence of knowing that your writing can get past a certain stage!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It doesn't really work like that - for the recruiter they don't really worry about the number of examples, they just want to see the depth of thinking and more about you as an individual candidate. Hence my point on trying to explain what it was about the experiences that made it interesting enough to you that you wanted to pursue it further.
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    I would like to ask how people answer questions like 'how our firm differentiate itself from our competitors?' In what way should we define competitors, and in what perspective should we look from?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I would like to ask how people answer questions like 'how our firm differentiate itself from our competitors?' In what way should we define competitors, and in what perspective should we look from?
    Practise areas such as real estate if they are known for then what other law firms are strengths in real estate and then compare it like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.