TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Haven't heard back from summer, but a friend of mine got their spring VS offer
I have had a Spring VS offer this week, but my friend applied for summer and has not heard anything. Also some people got Spring AC offers this past week so I would say if you applied for Spring to email graduate recruitment!

OO28

Junior Lawyer
Nov 4, 2019
Congrats! Would you say the application for the direct TC is very similar to the winter vac scheme?
The application is exactly the same most of the time, same questions. Also worth noting that I've never done a vacation scheme and still got the interview. I made sure to highlight transferrable skills in my work experience section.

I'm not sure if they expect more of me and a clearer "why law" motivation in the interview though. But A&O grad rec have said before that if you're quite sure you want to work at the firm then they recommend a TC because vac scheme places are limited.

Not sure what it's like for the other firms, but a lot of them do encourage you to apply again the next cycle.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hey does anyone know if any applications for any firm for summer vacation scheme are still open after from Gibson Dunn? Any reply will be helpful, thank you.

yep, there’s loads. Dechert, Ropes & Gray, Cooley, Cleary, Sidley Austin, and a bunch of others with deadlines in late January :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
What are peoples thoughts on reapplying to an MC firm for direct TC next cycle after a post AC rejection (for vac scheme) this cycle
If they let you and you want to, sure. As noted above, some don't re-interview - I think this is fairly common across MC and large-intake firms generally (small-intake firms tend to be more forgiving) but you'd have to dig up the particular firm's policy or email their grad rec.

In the interest of being strategic about time & effort, though, I'd have a think about why you didn't clear AC and whether that's really something you can remediate.

If it's because you were having an off day, or stumbled on commercial awareness or didn't have your motivations fully articulated, these things can be improved between now and next cycle. Go for it.

That said, it's also possible that you and the firm simply weren't the right fit - and there's nothing wrong with that. It could be that your working style or ambitions don't match with their training methods, or any of a number of 'cultural fit' mismatches. I don't know your personal circumstances - or which firm it was - so I won't speculate any further. But if the rejection post-AC comes down to this kind of alignment issue, I'd think about whether that's somewhere you really want to be. Would you actually get on in that environment, in that type of programme? If the answer to that is ultimately yes, then sure take another crack and have a think about how you can better show your alignment with the firm (without compromising yourself). If it's no, there are plenty of fish in the sea - you've made it through to AC at a MC firm, you've clearly got the chops to make it through plenty of other places.

Tl;dr - do you vibe with this firm?
Like... there are a bunch of firms who are top-notch in the practice areas I really want to pursue, great comp, prestige, whatever, but I don't bother applying simply because I do not gel with their vibe.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Is there any updated list of firms that take a good portion of students for direct training contracts? I’ve seen some lists from previous cycles, but just curious.

Last edited:

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Is there any updated list of firms that take a good portion of students for direct training contracts? I’ve seen some lists from previous cycles, but just curious.
Don't think there's a new consolidated list but the one from last year(?) still seems fairly accurate. All MC recruit meaningfully for direct TC, as do most firms with intakes >30-40. Smaller intakes lean more heavily on vac schemes though I know that SullCrom, at least, reserves a couple direct TC spots - I imagine though that those spots are competitive at a level over and above the vac scheme. Travers notionally has a direct TC option but last year filled all places from vac schemes - they take I think like 80 schemers over the year for 30 TCs so on odds they don't have a real direct option.

• 🏆
Reactions: Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Don't think there's a new consolidated list but the one from last year(?) still seems fairly accurate. All MC recruit meaningfully for direct TC, as do most firms with intakes >30-40. Smaller intakes lean more heavily on vac schemes though I know that SullCrom, at least, reserves a couple direct TC spots - I imagine though that those spots are competitive at a level over and above the vac scheme. Travers notionally has a direct TC option but last year filled all places from vac schemes - they take I think like 80 schemers over the year for 30 TCs so on odds they don't have a real direct option.

Lol Rob93 your replies are iconic. Thank you, that’s very very very very very very helpful to know.

Reactions: JD

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Has anyone had any experience with the SST with Kennedys? I'm not quite sure how to prepare as I've never done an SST on the Cappfinity platform so any guidance would be great :)
Haven't done kennedys but did Links and Latham on Capp. If you've done other SSTs/SJTs, they tend to all be quite similar. Capp is usually modular, there are a series of sections that you do in order but that are kind of discrete units. Otherwise the only thing in Capp that I haven't seen elsewhere is that there's a component of like, self-assessment where you have to place yourself on a spectrum between two ostensibly conflicting values or mindsets. These are awful, because I constantly find myself going 'I am committed to/good at both these things, or think in both these ways' (good lawyers being flexible and containing multitudes) and just putting yourself in the middle feels like a copout. But you just gotta do it. As far as advice goes, be honest with yourself - I have a strong, albeit unfounded, suspicion that self-awareness factors in here, if your self-rated self-concept is totally out of whack with the behaviour you display in the judgment Qs I imagine that must raise eyebrows.

also, as I believe Jessica has noted before, the answer on judgment questions isn't always 'I will work more/harder/through the night' though sometimes it is. Think about who is best placed to handle the issue, what the stakes are, who would own it. This is obviously tricky cause as an outsider it's hard to know how workflow is managed inside of firms, and you have to make some assumptions about your own experience, competency and knowledge in a situation (pretty sure I often tank these because I have a more flattering view of my competence than the firm does).

Further, look at the firm's approach to training - if it's more structured and hierarchical the bounds of 'I'll do this myself' are likely to be narrower compared to the entrepreneurial/lean firms where trainees are 'treated like associates from day 1' or that sort of thing.

Also bear in mind that these things can be wildly capricious and imo quite inaccurate so don't sweat it too much.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Has anyone had any experience with the SST with Kennedys? I'm not quite sure how to prepare as I've never done an SST on the Cappfinity platform so any guidance would be great :)
    Make a cup of tea or coffee and relax it is the long SST I done it last year it took me 2 hours to do it last year.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.