TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For anyone finding themselves exasperated with the VS/TC process, especially those who are still in uni who may not know this, I just want to let you know that private practice training is not the be-all-end-all. Opportunities to qualify in-house are at unprecedented levels, and the paralegal market is booming. There are also a thousand different roles adjacent to the law, some of which pay near as well and offer similarly interesting work (and a better work-life balance). In the past few weeks I've had 4 conversations with recruiters about compelling long-term alternatives to private practice training, and more interesting, well-comped paralegal gigs than I can count.

It's easy to get pigeonholed into thinking private practice is the entire world, or at least thinking 'I would like to cut my teeth in private practice for a few years' - and that's fair, honestly I still kind of think that which is why I'm still applying to firms. But there are opportunities I never imagined - some of them in industries I never knew existed - and honestly some of them are really cool.

This isn't to dissuade anyone from going all-out or sticking to it as long as necessary to bag that sweet sweet biglaw TC - I know we're all here because we're invested in having legal careers. But I know, for me at least, it's immensely reassuring to realise there are *options*, whether they're stepping-stones to the biglaw gig or career paths in their own right.

Wagmi

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Has anyone tried applying to goodwin's VS? they advertised the deadline as today but I just tried to apple and the job posting has gone - I was under the impression that a deadline being on the 15th Jan would include the day of unless they meant for it to be midnight on the 14th Jan?? is there anything I can do?

AL123456

Jun 23, 2021
Hi All, so I applied to DLA Piper mid november. I haven't heard back and I saw quite a few people heard back regarding an AC this week., so I guess I have been rejected. Should I email grad rec or is it just normal to wait it out? Also I saw a lot of people saying their portal updated. I am not sure what this means.

yll

May 24, 2021
Has anyone tried applying to goodwin's VS? they advertised the deadline as today but I just tried to apple and the job posting has gone - I was under the impression that a deadline being on the 15th Jan would include the day of unless they meant for it to be midnight on the 14th Jan?? is there anything I can do?
i have the same issue, my page now says that the job is no longer posted, the page was under maintenance when I opened it earlier in the morning. I guess it means that we have missed the deadline 😭

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
i have the same issue, my page now says that the job is no longer posted, the page was under maintenance when I opened it earlier in the morning. I guess it means that we have missed the deadline 😭
Thats so annoying! i think thats so misleading to put the deadline as today and close it the night before! its a Saturday as well so I'm not even sure anyone will answer a call/email

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi All, so I applied to DLA Piper mid november. I haven't heard back and I saw quite a few people heard back regarding an AC this week., so I guess I have been rejected. Should I email grad rec or is it just normal to wait it out? Also I saw a lot of people saying their portal updated. I am not sure what this means.
    Last year they had issues sending emails to people with gmail accounts so lots of people hadn't heard back. I had to email grad rec and they sent me the rejection email the next day so it might be worth it just to see what grad rec say :)

Reactions: xtinew
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.