TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
It is worthy applying to Hogan Lovells for training contract positions or they hire predominantly from vs? I am trying to exploit as much as I can..it is also a numbers game

Reactions: Donuttime

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Hi all. I am prepping for HSF's AC but for the life of me I cannot find a list of their practice areas (that isn't mixed with their sectors). Does anyone know where I can find it?

Reactions: SCN

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It is worthy applying to Hogan Lovells for training contract positions or they hire predominantly from vs? I am trying to exploit as much as I can..it is also a numbers game
    This is a risk I would normally for direct TC applications but not Hogan Lovell. This is because Hogan Lovell has this rule that if you get rejected 2 times post-WG then you can't apply for them again that is why.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Thank you, but i already saw this. honestly, it just confused me. How is corporate a separate practice area to M&A for example? It just doesn't make sense 😭 😭 😭

When I click "View all services" and click on any of the services (i.e. Merger Control), you can see the taxonomy at the top so Merger Control is under the Competition, Regulation and Trade practice.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 15.42.25.png

Based on the above, all the services that are listed on the page that @Anoned posted seem to be their practice areas.

If you're still worried, Chambers Student always breaks down the practice areas of each firm (or at least the main ones/the ones trainees can qualify into).

Hope that helps!

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    When I click "View all services" and click on any of the services (i.e. Merger Control), you can see the taxonomy at the top so Merger Control is under the Competition, Regulation and Trade practice.

View attachment 3788

Based on the above, all the services that are listed on the page that @Anoned posted seem to be their practice areas.

If you're still worried, Chambers Student always breaks down the practice areas of each firm (or at least the main ones/the ones trainees can qualify into).

Hope that helps!
    OMG I am sooo dumb!!! THank you sooo much!!!

nisadee

Valued Member
    Oct 9, 2019
    Hey, I could do with a bit of advice. I have had two AC's before (both unsuccessful)). My feedback for the first one was that I was a little over rehearsed and probably a little rigid (I think a lot of this related to nerves). In the second AC the feedback was mostly very positive, they said I spoke very well, gave strong, well-structured answers, for the competency interview (they gave no negative feedback here). And in the case study said my presentation was strong, detailed and I delivered it well. They said the one weak point was commerciality, and that whilst I was technically sound, when asked about non-technical commercial stuff my answers lacked depth.

Now I have two more upcoming AC's and really can't afford to not get these (one of them is with Clifford Chance, so would be absolutely gutted if I missed out). Would anyone have any advice on how I could go that extra step this time, to make sure I was successful?

(please let me know if there is a more applicable forum for this sort of question)
    I definitely can relate to sometimes coming across over rehearsed. I've found there's a point when you realise you just can't predetermine everything so letting yourself go a little can calm your nerves a lot. It's also evident in the way you speak; if you're trying to remember the answers you practiced, you're going to be distracted and there's more chance you'll mess up. It's better to just have a few key points in your head that can guide you instead of a script.

Reactions: AvniD and SCN

YJ

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Hi all. I am prepping for HSF's AC but for the life of me I cannot find a list of their practice areas (that isn't mixed with their sectors). Does anyone know where I can find it?
    Do not overthink it, you mainly need to know corporate, tax, IP, finance, real estate and employment. I think that is all the ones they offer seats in. I had my AC last week and they barely asked anything on the firm just one why HSF.

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    Do not overthink it, you mainly need to know corporate, tax, IP, finance, real estate and employment. I think that is all the ones they offer seats in. I had my AC last week and they barely asked anything on the firm just one why HSF.
    This is really helpful thanks! I'm prepping for the scenario interviews and wasn't sure how much I would need to know about all their practice areas

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.