TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Please could I have tips on how to answer "If you could introduce any client to the firm, who would it be and why? Consider which practice areas or teams could take advantage of this new relationship"? I can deal with the second half but how do I start narrowing down potential clients
    The only client that comes to mind is any retail client as lately a lo of retailers are been acquired by private equity firms so consider that sector of clients.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Please could I have tips on how to answer "If you could introduce any client to the firm, who would it be and why? Consider which practice areas or teams could take advantage of this new relationship"? I can deal with the second half but how do I start narrowing down potential clients
    I don't know much about Fladgates so can't really give an in depth answer but looking them up I noticed that they're ranked in some relatively niche areas (gambling and Islamic finance, strange bedfellows as they are, stood out to me). I'd look at who some major players are in the industries where they have particular expertise (for whom they do not already work) and run with one of those. Also think about their geographical footprint and market positioning - the biggest client isn't necessarily the best target, I'm not sure they'd have the capacity and reach to poach, say, Camelot in the gambling space. Also think about what prospective clients' growth opportunities look like, whether possible int'l expansions would match Fladgates's footprint etc.

Last edited:

Kiki

Jan 16, 2022
    Hi everyone I’ve accepted a TC with Clyde’s and I wanted to write to thank everyone on the forum for all their help.

I finished my first cycle without getting through the application stage at any firm I applied to. I’ve now finished this cycle with two vac scheme offers, two training contract offers and assessment day offers from DLA Piper, BCLP and CMS. This forum has been great in getting advice on applications and just generally being able to talk to people going through the same process.

If anyone has any questions about Clyde’s, NRF, EY, CMS, BCLP or DLA Piper or their assessment processes, or just for a general chat please message me and I’ll be happy to talk to anyone!

Thank you all again
    Hi! Congratulations, you did amazing! Could you please detail your experience regarding the AC at BCLP, tasks involved, and any tips? Thank you!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I don't know much about Fladgates so can't really give an in depth answer but looking them up I noticed that they're ranked in some relatively niche areas (gambling and Islamic finance, strange bedfellows as they are, stood out to me). I'd look at who some major players are in the industries where they have particular expertise (for whom they do not already work) and run with one of those. Also think about their geographical footprint and market positioning - the biggest client isn't necessarily the best target, I'm not sure they'd have the capacity and reach to poach, say, Camelot in the gambling space. Also think about what prospective clients' growth opportunities look like, whether possible int'l expansions would match Fladgates's footprint etc.
    Another approach could be to look at relatively young, growing industry segments where Fladgates's expertise would translate well. Pick out a few companies who are leading the pack, and the argument is that working for them would establish the firm as an expert advisor in that sector. Again would fine-tune this based on capacity, geo footprint &c. to get to one specific prospective client. Helpful to do a bit of digging and see where VCs, angels, growth funds are plowing their cash - obviously likely to have a tech bent, but what segments within that are attracting significant capital? That's likely to be an area where getting in early would pay off down the line once the market for [whatever] is established.

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 26, 2021
    I have the final stage for SH tomorrow (1.5hr written case study task). Does anyone have any advice?? Presume it will be a business scenario or advising a client. Will analyse the information using SWOT, PESTLE and Porter's Five Forces and I will aim to be logical and coherent in my written presentation. Is there anything beyond that? Cheers!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.