TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
Very strange situation for me. Just got a WG invite from Akin Gump but just checked my application and realise both my work history and my answer to one of the application questions didn't save on my application! Have I somehow passed the app stage even with missing info and I should just leave it, or is the WG automatically sent out and should I email them anyway and explain? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Apologies for the duplicate post, but here goes

@Jessica Booker

Hi guys - the Akin Gump application form asks candidates "What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?"
Do you think it would be okay (or even preferable) to link these back to Akin Gump (e.g. emphasise receiving high quality on-the-job training as an "important reward", then demonstrate how working at Akin Gump provides this reward)?
I think that is ok. Just be mindful this is asking you about your career, not just the training contract and so think about how that training may look beyond your first two years.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
just got a pfo from NRF after initial app... no idea where im going wrong and truly losing hope this cycle :(
Nah, don't. I was getting a metric ton of rejections in september-october and now I'm flying through applications. There's a huge number of firms still recruiting- often it'll be the firms you least expect who decide to take you on. I got Weil VI and Baker WG this cycle after being rejected by them like 3 times previously, so you really never know. Equally, the firms you've put your money on can be the ones who unexpectedly tell you to PFO. I did NRF AC last cycle and in my feedback, they were keenly telling me to re-apply this cycle - got rejected without even a WG test.

Point is this process is unpredictable. You do need to read over your unsuccessful applications though, and see which points are redundant/lacking impact/irrelevant to the question asked - the first question you always have to ask is "What did I do wrong" and "How can I improve this application next time!. It helps to keep a stiff upper lip and remember that rejections are inevitable.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Nah, don't. I was getting a metric ton of rejections in september-october and now I'm flying through applications. There's a huge number of firms still recruiting- often it'll be the firms you least expect who decide to take you on. I got Weil VI and Baker WG this cycle after being rejected by them like 3 times previously, so you really never know. Equally, the firms you've put your money on can be the ones who unexpectedly tell you to PFO. I did NRF AC last cycle and in my feedback, they were keenly telling me to re-apply this cycle - got rejected without even a WG test.

Point is this process is unpredictable. You do need to read over your unsuccessful applications though, and see which points are redundant/lacking impact/irrelevant to the question asked - the first question you always have to ask is "What did I do wrong" and "How can I improve this application next time!. It helps to keep a stiff upper lip and remember that rejections are inevitable.
Also worth remembering the reason why everyone laughs at their old applications from 2-3 years ago. Whereas their applications now are 100x better.

My application answers from late 2019 were utterly dreadful, and I was on this forum asking similar questions - "what am I doing wrong" etc. As you improve and acclimatise to this process, you start figuring out what graduate recruiters are looking for.

You'll still get a ton of rejections, but the increasing success rate of your applications will be so noticeable that you'll very quickly forget about rejections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.