TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

kenobi

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2024
Would anyone who had their Orrick VS application pass the initial review stage be willing to share it with me? Confused as hell by the structure of their application. I can swap for successful applications made to a number of other firms and interview insights for them.
Same here, please! Would really appreciate it if someone could share a successful Orrick VS application. Can swap for successful applications too:)

EzeLaylor

• Oct 15, 2021
    Does anyone have experience reapplying to a firm after failing to convert a VS? Last year, I didn't covert a scheme with a US firm and wondering if I can reapply for direct TC this year - not sure if its a good idea to ask as I don't want to seem desperate...

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Does anyone have experience reapplying to a firm after failing to convert a VS? Last year, I didn't covert a scheme with a US firm and wondering if I can reapply for direct TC this year - not sure if its a good idea to ask as I don't want to seem desperate...
    Depends on the firm's policy. Most firms don't consider you for a TC if you do not convert the VS. I'd ask the firm and clarify before applying.

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    How do I frame an application for a firm that I didn't get past the AC for? This wasn't the final round (I know that they don't consider people for don't make it past the final interview) but at the same time I am worried they won't consider me because they already tested me and all the people I knew on the AC were first-time applicants. Should I mention in my cover letter how I have improved since then or just phrase it like a normal cover letter without mentioning the AC. The AC did give me good insights into the firm.

Gday33

Standard Member
    Apr 21, 2024
    How do I frame an application for a firm that I didn't get past the AC for? This wasn't the final round (I know that they don't consider people for don't make it past the final interview) but at the same time I am worried they won't consider me because they already tested me and all the people I knew on the AC were first-time applicants. Should I mention in my cover letter how I have improved since then or just phrase it like a normal cover letter without mentioning the AC. The AC did give me good insights into the firm.
    It could be worth framing it from the approach of ‘I’m still committed to this firm which is why I’ve applied again’? If you got insights the first time around I would definitely mention those, along with anything ‘new’ since your last application to show development

Reactions: LillyandSilver

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I live about an hours commute from London and was thinking about staying at home for a vac scheme, starting in 2 weeks, it’s at a US firm, do you think that would be wise to do? Or would travel have any impact on me
    I think an hour is a reasonable commute - many vac schemers will do longer commutes than that.

As long as trains run late for any evening social events, an hour will be fine.

Reactions: NJS

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I live about an hours commute from London and was thinking about staying at home for a vac scheme, starting in 2 weeks, it’s at a US firm, do you think that would be wise to do? Or would travel have any impact on me
    I did work experience in London an hour away on the train last summer. My advice would be to start going to bed early now and be overly cautious on the first day. That way you know if it actually is an hour and which trains are best to get. I got in an hour early on the first day and realised the next day I could get a later train and be fine. Always best to be early rather than late and it is appreciated, plus you get more time to speak to people who haven't yet started working.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.