TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @AvniD
Hi, I’m applying to eversheds this after being rejected last year. I have used the same examples (the questions are below) for two of the questions, that I used last year but I have made major changes and think the responses are stronger for it. I also think the examples used are the best one I have. Do you think this is an acceptable approach or would they expect something completely different? (Not sure if relevant but my university grades have also dramatically improved in the last year)

1- When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced and what energised you about the situation.

2- When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?
If they are still your best examples, then it is ok to keep them in, especially where the rest of your application is changing.

I would recommend looking at your previous answers though and really critically evaluating them to see whether you can write the experience/example in a better way.

Reactions: George Maxwell

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
Does anyone know if Eversheds let you apply in the next cycle if you were rejected at AC? I know some firms don't but I can't find anything on their website that says anything either way

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@Jessica Booker @AvniD
Hi, I’m applying to eversheds this after being rejected last year. I have used the same examples (the questions are below) for two of the questions, that I used last year but I have made major changes and think the responses are stronger for it. I also think the examples used are the best one I have. Do you think this is an acceptable approach or would they expect something completely different? (Not sure if relevant but my university grades have also dramatically improved in the last year)

1- When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced and what energised you about the situation.

2- When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?
Using the same examples is absolutely fine if you've 1) drawn newer, stronger reflections from them 2) structured your new answer better so that it reads differently than your previous answer and is more convincing. Definitely use STAR/CAR for the structure too and add in detail that the questions ask for wherever you think works best.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions about your applications.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
AC DLA Piper Edinburgh! my first AC ever so blessed

BUT it falls on a date where I will be flying to another country to see family. Is there any way to reschedule?
Edit: nvm thankfully I would've landed by then haha panicked a bit
Hi @xtinew,

Firstly, huge congratulations! That's amazing news. Please do tag me and/or the rest of the team (@AvniD or @James Carrabino) if you would like any help in the lead up to your AC.

Secondly, I would just really make sure, even if you have landed by the time you AC is, not to cut it too close (i.e., make sure you are well-rested and that you are allowing yourself enough time between the AC and actually landing. The earlier you ask the firm/let them know there might be a difficulty, the easier it is for them to change/make accommodations for you. So if in doubt, I would alert the firm (even just to let them know that you have just landed etc.

ACs are pretty stressful (I'm sure you know this already) and it is just a really good idea to make sure that you give yourself every opportunity to be at your best! 🚀

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone know if Eversheds let you apply in the next cycle if you were rejected at AC? I know some firms don't but I can't find anything on their website that says anything either way
I'd email graduate recruitment to confirm this so that you can be sure before you put the effort into applying!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Taylor Wessing website is completely blocking me, is anyone experiencing something similar?
Hi @GXA123,

When you say completely blocking you, what do you mean exactly? I would email their GR team to let them know just in case you need to submit an application soon etc.

After a quick google, their email, just in case you don't have it is: [email protected] 🚀

Edit: I have just seen your follow-up post showing what the error is. I would personally 1. email GR, 2. look to delete your browser cache/cookies and 3. use a VPN if you have one?

This is a tricky one so I am just letting you know what I would do in your situation. I am not sure that there are any quick fixes though unfortunately. Have you tried connecting to the website on a different WiFi network perhaps?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I just did my Simmons VI and it was actually so bad I just want to crawl into a hole... I want to cry thinking that someone from grad rec will actually be watching that lol. Also even though it was quite simple I just couldn't get my head around the written exercise and how to actually do it so that was equally as bad rip
I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your VIs but maybe it wasn't as bad as you think it was? The fact that you made it to VIs shows that you did really well on your written application, which is the hardest part for many people so you should be really proud of yourself for that 👏 👏 👏 I am including some really great posts on the forum for VIs that you can go through when you feel ready. You've got this! 💪
  1. Dheepa's best tips- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ything-new-tcla-team-members.2911/#post-46361
  2. Jaysen's best tips- https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Hq7p0rHJK1Hd9VLgl7ay8sEjtLLvJy-/edit
  3. How to sound natural during VIs by LEL- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....lications-discussion.2732/page-711#post-66504
  4. Alice's best tips-https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/video-interviews-tips-and-tricks.2324/
I've never had to do a written exercise so I'm sorry that I can't help you more with that :( I found this article on LSE's website- https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-stud...cles/legal-case-studies-and-written-exercises. Maybe this will be helpful to you in understanding how you can perform better on them?

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Using the same examples is absolutely fine if you've 1) drawn newer, stronger reflections from them 2) structured your new answer better so that it reads differently than your previous answer and is more convincing. Definitely use STAR/CAR for the structure too and add in detail that the questions ask for wherever you think works best.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions about your applications.
That’s really useful thank you!

Do you think eversheds are likely to look at my old application when I apply? @Jessica Booker @AvniD

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.