TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

RiverJules

Feb 16, 2024
Question for people who applied to Howard Kennedy: when you first submitted your application, did you also get an automatic confirmation email with just some truncated code in it rather than any substantive content? In mine, it seems to have been meant to display some kind of image, but the image wasn't properly embedded or something. Just slightly concerned now that there was meant to be important information on there that I should be aware of!

T_Law

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2019
Question for people who applied to Howard Kennedy: when you first submitted your application, did you also get an automatic confirmation email with just some truncated code in it rather than any substantive content? In mine, it seems to have been meant to display some kind of image, but the image wasn't properly embedded or something. Just slightly concerned now that there was meant to be important information on there that I should be aware of!
Hey! Yes I got something similar to this, but then they sent a separate email to fill out their contextual information, so I don’t think it should be an issue, or hopefully we didn’t miss anything substantial!

• Love
Reactions: RiverJules

Will123

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2023
Hi, I got the same problems with the automatic confirmation email from Howard Kennedy. I sent an email to their grad recruitment and they said there was nothing to be concerned about nor did I miss out on important information. Hope this alleviates your concerns!

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
I am applying for a training contract to a firm that only requires a cover letter and CV, it does not mention anywhere what needs to be included in the cover letter. What points should I focus on in the cover letter and how long should it be? Also, I am starting a new job soon, should I wait for that job to start and add it to my application as the applications are open from 1st May- 30th June. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am applying for a training contract to a firm that only requires a cover letter and CV, it does not mention anywhere what needs to be included in the cover letter. What points should I focus on in the cover letter and how long should it be? Also, I am starting a new job soon, should I wait for that job to start and add it to my application as the applications are open from 1st May- 30th June. @Jessica Booker
You can always put your future role on an application form anyway, you just won’t be able to provide lots of detail about it - but I would still expect that to be the case if you are only a few weeks into a role.

For a cover letter:

Why the firm
Why the opportunity/why commercial law
Why you

Ideally if you can get it on one page, great, but no more than a page and a half or about 750 words

Reactions: hopefulforatc

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.