TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Heya, I wanted to confirm whether I understood the wording correctly:

> Eligible students will be in their penultimate year of a law degree or final year of a non-law degree. Students are paid £400 per week. We also accept applications from students who have already completed their degrees.
    Does this mean a final year student can't apply? [For a VS with Covington]

Finalists can apply too :D It's everyone 'from' their penultimate year of a law degree and final year of a non-law degree

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi, I've noticed that most of the recruitment agencies help students with corporate/commercial law firm applications. Are there any agencies that focus on other types of firms, specifically private client firms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m looking to self fund LPC this year. Is it still worth doing the LPC or should I be looking to do the SQE?
    Unless you expect to

- apply for a firm that recruits trainees a year in advance (eg recruiting for 2024 opportunities)
    - you expect to go into a law firm with very few trainees (eg no formal intake of trainees)
    - you expect to go into a firm that does not sponsor the LPC/SQE

I would personally suggest doing the SQE now rather than the LPC. That is just my opinion though looking at how and when firms are moving solely to SQE intakes.

Reactions: lolamcd1

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Still looking for help if anyone knows what they ask.
    They might change but last year it was:

Hogan Lovells:
    We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments? (250 words)

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit. (250 words)

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector (250 words)

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application. (250 words)

Willkie:
    Why have you chosen a career in commercial law? (250 words)

Please explain why you are applying to Willkie. (250 words)

Please tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility. (500 words)

Covington: (not sure what the word counts were)
    Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington & Burling LLP?

Discuss a recent news article that interests you and how it is relevant to the firm's business.

If you could bring into force any law, what would that law be and why?

What do you think makes you stand out from other applicants? Please use this as an opportunity to discuss any extracurricular activities or achievements you have obtained.

White & Case:
    Cover Letter (no word count)

Describing extracurricular activities (no word count)

Careers events attended (350 words)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Macfarlanes TC offer!! 🥳🎉 Have been applying for a few years now so feels slightly surreal to say I’ve finally got one! Thank you to this forum for all the invaluable support - my DMs are always open for anyone looking for advice/guidance ☺️
    Congratulations and well done! That is amazing news 🎉

Harry Potter Applause GIF

• Love
    Reactions: F99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, would I include a mentoring programme run by a law firm (where I received the mentoring) in the work experience section of an application?
    I personally wouldn’t include this as work experience unless you do work experience in their office as part of the internships programme. You are not working - you are just benefitting from the mentoring of someone in the profession.

I would include it somewhere in the application, just not in the work experience section.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Macfarlanes TC offer!! 🥳🎉 Have been applying for a few years now so feels slightly surreal to say I’ve finally got one! Thank you to this forum for all the invaluable support - my DMs are always open for anyone looking for advice/guidance ☺️
    Well done!

• Love
    Reactions: F99
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.