TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker,
I am worried that my A-levels are going to come in the way of me obtaining a training contract at a commercial law firm. I got a BCC and don't have proof or evidence of mitigating circumstances. I know that there are a lot of firms that have no A-level requirements but they still want to see consistency in my grades so I'm scared they would reject me even with a good written application. I am currently going into my third year with a high 2:1.

Do you have any advice for me?

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker,
I am worried that my A-levels are going to come in the way of me obtaining a training contract at a commercial law firm. I got a BCC and don't have proof or evidence of mitigating circumstances. I know that there are a lot of firms that have no A-level requirements but they still want to see consistency in my grades so I'm scared they would reject me even with a good written application. I am currently going into my third year with a high 2:1.

Do you have any advice for me?
Hey! You absolutely have a chance so please do not discount yourself. I know someone who was able to secure TC at Linklaters with BBC at A-Level which is not far off from your A-Level grades.

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Heya, I wanted to confirm whether I understood the wording correctly:

> Eligible students will be in their penultimate year of a law degree or final year of a non-law degree. Students are paid £400 per week. We also accept applications from students who have already completed their degrees.
    Does this mean a final year student can't apply? [For a VS with Covington]

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

> Eligible students will be in their penultimate year of a law degree or final year of a non-law degree. Students are paid £400 per week. We also accept applications from students who have already completed their degrees.
    Seems a bit odd that they don’t allow final year law students to apply - I read this more that you can’t apply any earlier than the timeframes outlined for law and non-law students, but probably worthwhile checking with them if no one here can provide certainty.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    There are no written app questions.

They have been replaced with 2 VI Qs. You will have unlimited time to prepare the response and you have 2 mins to answer.

You also complete an SJT before the VI, which is untimed, but you must have a camera on when completing.
    This is helpful to know. I had a question specific to the Indian A&O scheme. I'm not sure if they have discontinued the Indian clerkship that used to exist. Plus, do they sponsor visas and travel/acc costs? And if the Indian clerkship doesn't exist separately, are we allowed to apply under the UK scheme?

Plus, for the application - are we supposed to fill in the work exp/ personal details and give the SJT in one sitting? Or it can be done at our own pace?

Also, If someone could share the questions A&O has asked for the VI this time- that would be great! Or let me know if these are different for everybody. I wanted to know these in advance only because I'll be giving the SJT a little later. So, if these are same, I could prep in advance :)

Last edited:

SR99

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Does anyone know if there is a deadline to complete the SJT and VI for A&O? There doesn't seem to be any deadline in the emails sent so I'm not sure if I can take my time to prep

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Seems a bit odd that they don’t allow final year law students to apply - I read this more that you can’t apply any earlier than the timeframes outlined for law and non-law students, but probably worthwhile checking with them if no one here can provide certainty.
    Thank you! It's definitely strange, especially since there seems to be different wording depending on where I look. I'll likely email them tomorrow :)

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022

Finalists can apply too :D It's everyone 'from' their penultimate year of a law degree and final year of a non-law degree

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.