BPP LPC help. 3Days?

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Thanks so much @Jane Smith

Was wondering if anyone could advice on this:

For the advocacy assessment, we are meant to show our ID card before speaking. Are we meant to time ourselves after showing the ID card and kinda know when the 4 min mark is? Im assuming the marker would time us the moment we start speaking in the recording right?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I am not sure (other than that showing the card etc is not counted within the 4 minutes). Probably showing the card will not take much time anyway.

One of my sons was saying last week it was a pity BPP have so many instructions but sometimes do not make some of the more obvious issues clear - eg can you make quite a few recordings before deciding your best one and then submit that one (I think you can). It says "Please do not upload to the assessment folder until you are satisfied that your video is your final submission." So that implies you could do several recordings before you are happy and submit one.

I think it would be better to be just under 4 minutes than just over and just to start timing from when showing the ID and giving the name but I suppose it might like the proctored exams where there was separate time allowed for preliminary steps like showing ID I think from memory?

It does seem like in the past they have had people submitting a big late due to uploads taking a long time so I think this advocacy one is worth doing slightly early by everyone rather than at the very last minute.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Check emails - I believe one has gone to BPP LPC students Sept 2021 starters to which you respond to order your elective module books (they had to use internet explorer for the pop up/survey to work rather than another browser)

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    The information about skills assessments says the final assessment (not mock) of Interview and Advising is in week of 14 March. It also says you will be notified by email on 28 February (i.e. yesterday) along with details of the Legal Note allocated to you (also available on Hub from 28 Feb under I&A summative assessment supposedly). My son has not found it yet in either place - email or on the Hub. It may be they are just a little late in sending the details. [ The email is out today and the legal note will follow on Monday 7th]

There is a 1 March email about next week's accounts and professional conduct exams (and I believe if you log into inspera, which they recommend you to do test it again, you can see your upcoming such assessments noted on Inspera; from the original time table we had them down as likely to be from 10am to 12 noon on 8 and 9 March, but my twins should check on Inspera to find out the correct time on 8 and 9 March).

Finally as everyone should know the second mock exam this week (in addition to interviewing and advising) is professional conduct and that one (professional conduct) is self marked.

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Everyone probably has the hang of the LPC on this thread by this late stage but today there is a survey / form under Announcements to be completed only by those who want to do their electives by hand in the exam hall. Those like my twins who are doing them digitally are not expected to complete it.

Secondly the electives timetables should be out tomorrow. One of mine can see his on the VLE by the way already but apparently any timetable issued before 23 March might change so we are not relying on that one.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Announcement on Hub that timetables are delayed until Friday (which is cutting it a bit fine for starting on Monday as you are not allowed to approach BPP about any necessary changes to groups until the timetable is out). The only reason it is relevant in my twins' case is they travel in together and are doing the same electives so want to be in the same group as in the other 2 terms but issuing timetables on Friday does not give much time for group switching by Monday. Also some students may need to arrange a part time job or even child care around the timings so less than a working day's notice is not great.

Reactions: AOD

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I expect the timetables for next week will come out after close of office hours tonight (favourite time for BPP announcements) - they do not seem to be out yet and are due out today.
    However we can see them on the VLE but those may not be finalised and interestingly one of my sons for the second of the first 2 weeks has one change of day for one session but no changes for week 1 from the draft timetable so it does sound like there are some timetable changes to any draft time table. I will get his twin to check the VLE today too in case he has a similar change and we will await the official time table later today. (they still both have SGSs on four day - they preferred the two days they had in terms 1 and 2 (skills) due to travel but there are only five weeks of SGSs - 2 per subject per week by the way if anyone is preparing so not just SGS1 for your elective next week but I think SGS2 too.

AOD

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 21, 2021
    I expect the timetables for next week will come out after close of office hours tonight (favourite time for BPP announcements) - they do not seem to be out yet and are due out today.
    However we can see them on the VLE but those may not be finalised and interestingly one of my sons for the second of the first 2 weeks has one change of day for one session but no changes for week 1 from the draft timetable so it does sound like there are some timetable changes to any draft time table. I will get his twin to check the VLE today too in case he has a similar change and we will await the official time table later today. (they still both have SGSs on four day - they preferred the two days they had in terms 1 and 2 (skills) due to travel but there are only five weeks of SGSs - 2 per subject per week by the way if anyone is preparing so not just SGS1 for your elective next week but I think SGS2 too.
    My timetable is out, so they might have finalised some of them but not all (I'm not London based). One of my modules is online although I was told it was going to be face to face. So I'm theoretically in 4 days a week, but on one of them I only have an online SGS. What's not so great is that the other online SGS is on a day when I have another in person SGS 15 minutes later... I'm glad we're only studying the electives for five weeks.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Yes, it is just as well it is just for 5 weeks. The end is in sight. When the twins had one session online one week last year (as a tutor was ill ) and they then had an in-person one 15 mins later BPP let the class use a room at BPP for the online one. I am not sure if there will be space where you are to do that.

The twins' timetables (London) came out in the afternoon yesterday (Friday) fairly late in the day. They are in the same group for 2 subjects and for the third subject one twin has raised a query with BPP to ask to be moved to his twin's group (which I suspect will be allowed as they travel together etc etc and BPP did put them in the same group for the earlier bit of the course after they made a similar request). Both timetables for them are 4 days a week, but we were expecting something like this for the electives as the timetabling must be complex for BPP.

All theirs are in person but that will be because there are more students in London so enough people to run all the options. They are doing private acquisitions, commercial/IP and employment.

2 SGSs a week in all 3 subjects (6) is quite a bit of preparation. Anyway I am sure it will all be fine.

My older daughter started nursery school in 1987. I have had at least some of the 5 children doing schooling and, in their older years, exams continuously for 35 years until this June 2022. So it feels like the end of an era.

AOD

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 21, 2021
    Yes, it is just as well it is just for 5 weeks. The end is in sight. When the twins had one session online one week last year (as a tutor was ill ) and they then had an in-person one 15 mins later BPP let the class use a room at BPP for the online one. I am not sure if there will be space where you are to do that.

The twins' timetables (London) came out in the afternoon yesterday (Friday) fairly late in the day. They are in the same group for 2 subjects and for the third subject one twin has raised a query with BPP to ask to be moved to his twin's group (which I suspect will be allowed as they travel together etc etc and BPP did put them in the same group for the earlier bit of the course after they made a similar request). Both timetables for them are 4 days a week, but we were expecting something like this for the electives as the timetabling must be complex for BPP.

All theirs are in person but that will be because there are more students in London so enough people to run all the options. They are doing private acquisitions, commercial/IP and employment.

2 SGSs a week in all 3 subjects (6) is quite a bit of preparation. Anyway I am sure it will all be fine.

My older daughter started nursery school in 1987. I have had at least some of the 5 children doing schooling and, in their older years, exams continuously for 35 years until this June 2022. So it feels like the end of an era.

Yes, we did get an email yesterday afternoon saying we'd be allowed to use a room for the online SGSs, so that should be alright. There seems to be a shortage of tutors in regional centres.

I'm sure your twins will be placed in the same group, it shouldn't make much of a difference for BPP at this point. 6 SGSs is indeed quite a bit of prep, but to be fair, having done the prep for my first round of SGSs, it wasn't too bad.

I can't imagine how difficult the past 35 years must have been for you, balancing all this with being a lawyer. They must be so proud of you!

HopefulFutureTrainee

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 23, 2022
    Hi everyone! I may be (very) late to this forum, but I was wondering if anyone might be able to help with a small question I had. I will be starting my LPC full time in Cambridge in September and I wanted to know if you can choose how many days to go in person, and what days - for example, could I choose to go to school Monday - Wednesday? Thanks a lot!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My twins with BPP were able to choose 2 days a week which has applied in the first 2 sections of the course (but not the exact days). The electives from late March are different as everyone has different combinations and my twins are currently in at SGSs (seminars) on 4 days a week now but that is only for the 5 weeks of BPP elective teacying and you really do not have to go in in person for the electives part of the course unless that works for your way of learning (unless you have a law fierm sponsor insisting on that). However I am glad mine went in for the first 2 terms in person and some for part of the electives.

I believe you can pick 2 days a week with BPP (not sure about UoL) (unless a law firm sponsoring you requires otherwise) but not the precise days.
    It may well differ in Cambridge however as there will be fewer students so not so many people so fewer combinations however. Mine were certainly allowed to choose and sent what BPP call a "survey" which is not really a survey, just a choice form.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Email from BPP today about the core subjects (and most skills results). Most results are out at 2pm on Monday (assuming you can log in if everyone else is logging in at the same time). I regard this as the main results day as about 63% of the marks are for the core subjects. Good luck to everyone.

angl_9

Standard Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    Hi,

Does anyone have any tips to revise for the core modules? There is not much time left and I am feeling overwhelmed.

Do you think I could just go over each SGS and look at the solutions and understand them? I do not think I have the time to revise from scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated!

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Hi,

Does anyone have any tips to revise for the core modules? There is not much time left and I am feeling overwhelmed.

Do you think I could just go over each SGS and look at the solutions and understand them? I do not think I have the time to revise from scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Hi,

Don't worry about being overwhelmed, I did too!

I think SGSs are really your key. If it's not covered in the SGS/a learning outcome, it's not examinable (don't quote me on that, but that's p much why the LOs are there).

I would go through the SGS topics, activity and consolidation questions and solutions and try and make a note of key cases and structures. BPP love structures! Once you've done that, have a go at some mock papers, even if you don't feel ready, just to check where you're at. And then create consolidated material and try a mock again.

There are also lots of notes available on Stuvia and Studocu if you're prepared to pay some money.

I hope that's helpful and feel free to pm me for more advice!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I agree with h1, make the SGSs your core revision work/time. I believe my twins did the same. They also had a book LPC Answered and they have Liam Porritt's notes. Just find what works for you. Don't panic. Exactly what you said is fine- go over each SGS.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Good luck to everyone in next week's elective exams which may be the last exams ever for many people, hopefully (other than the small finance exam in the Professional Skills Course during a training contract, unless LPC resits are required).

I just noticed that the exam timetable/dates from BPP on the Hub, which we printed off for the year last year and I had put up in the kitchen, had errors for the days of the week on which those exams fall, but the day (number/date - which is what my twins worked from and is on our calendar) was correct.

I have had a kitchen calendar with children's appointments etc on it since the first child (who is now a solicitor) was born in 1984 so this end of the 2022 LPC exams will be the end of an era for that......... five children later and the start of a new era for my twins, no longer students.

We therefore checked the Hub and the timetable under "Assessments" has been corrected as to the day of the week and I expect BPP did it ages ago. There has never been any problem with the date itself, but I just thought I would point it out in case anyone was as old school as I am and had printed out the timetable ages ago and written it down by day of week not date, and assumed the day of the week, not the number of the day, was correct and had not checked since....unlikely, I know.

Monday next week is Private Acquisitions etc.....

Before we know it it will be "3 days to go" for the September 2022 starters on the LPC... actually perhaps not as the bigger firms are moving to SQE and this may have been their last year en masse having people on the LPC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.