BPP LPC LLM COURSE

sunnyd

Star Member
Apr 21, 2022
Hello everyone!

I hope you all are doing well. I am currently a law graduate from the University of Exeter and am looking to apply for an LPC LLM course in London. As I come from a low socio-economic background, my choices are pretty much limited to BPP (who offer a relatively cheaper course).

Having said that, I have been discouraged to attend BPP and have heard negative remarks about the institution. Could someone please guide me as to what I should do? Essentially, I would like to attend a University that will give me every opportunity to flourish in my career - i.e. good lecturers, links to law firms, networking opportunities, good reputation etc.

Attending BPP would definitely help me in terms of financial struggles, however, I do not want that to impact my long-term career by attending a University that has been regarded as a bad university. Could someone please help? Are these remarks true? Do they even matter?

Please tag whoever and any advice would be much appreciated.

(This post was not intended to offend anyone who attends, intends to attend or has graduated from BPP - I am genuinely just a poor and confused law student who needs some solid advice please!)😅

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Have you secured a TC? If not, I would recommend looking at SQE courses instead. The SQE is replacing the LPC anyway and there are many more providers, meaning the courses very much more in price.

sunnyd

Star Member
Apr 21, 2022
Hi

Thank you for your response.

I was hoping to opt for the LPC/LLM as I can get student finance to fund the course. I haven’t looked into the SQE/LLM course, but if that is an option then I would definitely consider it!
Would you suggest going for the SQE over the LPC? I never really considered the SQE because I am more familiar with the LPC and how it works.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
BPP is the institution of choice for the biggets best law firms by the way so although they would not be where someone would do their first degree, they are the best of the best in a sense for the LPC so I would not be pu t off by reputation issues. 80% of LPC students use UoL or BPP so it is normally a choice between those two.l The BPP (and UoL) lecturers tend to be very good and experienced and good at getting people through the exams. However as said above for some people they might prefer to do the SQE. There are pros and cons. If you pass the LPC/LLM and then cannot obtain a training contract you then have to pass SQE2 only (skills exam) to go down the new SQE route to qualification. However the LPC will disappear in the next few years as new students will bit by bit not have the choice. Eg you have an LLB so can choose. I tend to think better the devil you know for this year with the LPC as it is one institution and one body that examines you and with BPP at least you can also do the exams entirely open book and online with webcam/proctored.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi

Thank you for your response.

I was hoping to opt for the LPC/LLM as I can get student finance to fund the course. I haven’t looked into the SQE/LLM course, but if that is an option then I would definitely consider it!
Would you suggest going for the SQE over the LPC? I never really considered the SQE because I am more familiar with the LPC and how it works.
There are LLM level SQE courses that are eligible for student finance. BPP and ULaw should be offering these to you as well.

You could find you study the LPC and then have to do the SQE anyway. Given you wouldn’t finish an LLM course until September 2024 (assuming you are starting in September 2023), many law firms will have transferred to the SQE qualification system by then. But it really depends on which firms you are looking to apply to.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.