TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Competency style questions are common in law firm interviews. What is the purpose behind them?

In a real life problem, I tend to tackle a problem based on the facts presented to me rather than think back to a time in the past I have faced a similar situation. I am sure that most lawyers will do the same in practice. In my opinion, it is unlikely that a trainee solicitor will think back to the time they worked well in a team or a time when they solved a complex problem if faced with a similar situation in practice.
I think that the purpose is to understand how someone deals with unprecedented circumstances/tasks/events which are very common in this industry, and it is paramount that you know how to conduct yourself even though you might not be served with the best cards.

I understand your confusion because I used to think the same when I was applying but retrospectively, I think it is a good way for them to test the maturity and self-confidence that a candidate have, as well as their resilience.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey guys, when in an interview where you have been given the names of the interviewers is it okay to mention that you have had a similar experience to one of the interviewers (non-law related.) One of the panellists at the organisation volunteered at the same place I did when they were a student (found out by LinkedIn lurking), is it okay to make a passing comment like "I volunteered at the same place you did when you were a student Bob, the skills I have developed doing xyz..."

Would this be a good idea or be seen as too forward 😂
I would not bring it up like this but I would try to talk about that experience and hope that the partner resonate with that.

For example, when I was interviewing with a firm last year, I knew that one of the partners was very interested in ESG and human rights litigation and so I mentioned that I participated in a global debate competition around ESG and human rights considerations relating to a specific topic and she was so excited and we ended up talking about it for ages.

As you can see, I did not say that I found out that she was interested in the same thing I debated on but I was able to bring it up and the conversation went from there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica would you say if an applicant worked in a company that was in defence/aerospace where you'd need Security clearance to work would fall under those who'd have to be allocated carefully or may not be able to undertake a VS?

I think from my scheme induction it said we cannot take further paid work would a VS fall under this? :(
It sounds like your current employer could block it rather than the law firm's conflict checks.

• Sad
Reactions: Legalstalker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I definitely agree with your statement. Which now goes back to my question - surely it is better to fabricate a scenario to answer a competency question where you have never been in such a situation so as to avoid being marked down for not being able to come up with a genuine example?
So many people aren't very good at being convincing on this and fall apart when questioned/probed further. I am sure some could do it, but its a risky approach!

Reactions: therealslimshady

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With the gold TCLA membership is there only one application review allowed in a month?

Or one free review and the rest we have to purchase?

Sorry but I am kind of new here!
One review per calendar month - any more you'd need to purchase, but you receive a 25% discount on these.

Reactions: axelbeugre

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    I definitely agree with your statement. Which now goes back to my question - surely it is better to fabricate a scenario to answer a competency question where you have never been in such a situation so as to avoid being marked down for not being able to come up with a genuine example?
    I would advise against it as ive always been probed further on my experiences. if you mention working in a team on a project they might ask more about the roles of each individual, the details about the project itself etc

Zaakir

Valued Member
    May 9, 2023
    I think they call everyone all at once but I am not really sure so do not quote me on this but I feel like this is what they did last year.

I think they call everyone all at once but I am not really sure so do not quote me on this but I feel like this is what they did last year.
    And did you apply for either VS or a specific one?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.