Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Did they say what would happen in the event that they could not hold an in-person scheme for August, could they go virtual?
    They asked me about my preferences and I explained how I'd only like to do a virtual scheme as a last resort which she completely understood. She also discussed the possibility of moving the scheme to the Winter but they're waiting to make the decision as late as possible I think because it's pretty much the only way they recruit trainees so want to get it right obviously

Reactions: amb98

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    They asked me about my preferences and I explained how I'd only like to do a virtual scheme as a last resort which she completely understood. She also discussed the possibility of moving the scheme to the Winter but they're waiting to make the decision as late as possible I think because it's pretty much the only way they recruit trainees so want to get it right obviously
    Did they contact you or did you call them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Freshfields is now going virtual for their Summer Scheme.

Interestingly, they are committed to paying the full amount regardless of the actual length of the scheme. A nice touch!

Money like that is nothing really for a law firm, and they will be saving a shed load of money by not having you in the office anyway.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Links’ summer vac scheme likely to be two weeks long now and moved online. Dates unconfirmed as of yet, so duration could still change. They are confident that they can use the scheme to assess people for TCs. No further info yet as to what the scheme would look like.

Thanks for sharing!

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jess, how do you reckon these virtual schemes will work in terms of how they will assess us? Do you think we would be given actual work or will everyone likely be given the same exercises to do? Of course it will differ from firm to firm and it hasn’t happened before but would be interesting to hear your insight.

Sergiulix

Star Member
    Oct 27, 2019
    @Jessica Booker if a US law firm has decided to cancel their summer associate programme in US offices and offer permanent contracts for some instead, do you think there is any chance that would replicate to the UK offices? Or is it more the case that the recruitment differs widely between US and UK and thus that this should not be taken as a sign that it will also happen in the London office?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jess, how do you reckon these virtual schemes will work in terms of how they will assess us? Do you think we would be given actual work or will everyone likely be given the same exercises to do? Of course it will differ from firm to firm and it hasn’t happened before but would be interesting to hear your insight.

Depends on the firm - they are not all identical.

Some are using virtual internships which is basically a simulation. Some are just doing "remote" internships where the expectation is you are like a normal vac schemer, just working remotely. It also depends on the IT set up - if they are giving you a laptop or a log-in to a firm email address, then you are more likely to be working "normally". If you are doing work from your personal email address, then it is most likely you wont be doing "real work" due to the data/confidentiality issues.

Speak to your individual firms to get clarity on what it might be happening with yours.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NourJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker if a US law firm has decided to cancel their summer associate programme in US offices and offer permanent contracts for some instead, do you think there is any chance that would replicate to the UK offices? Or is it more the case that the recruitment differs widely between US and UK and thus that this should not be taken as a sign that it will also happen in the London office?

Unlikely - US hiring is very different to UK hiring as they don't have the time lag and it is exceptionally more competitive than here in the UK.

However, there are some firms doing this and offering TCs instead - Hogan Lovells have made direct TC offers to some of their candidates who were supposed to be coming in for vacation schemes this year. Whether other firms do this will depend highly on how aligned their vacation scheme recruitment process is to their training contract process.

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Baker McKenzie have just confirmed they are holding remote/virtual schemes. The scheme is also shorter now - two weeks instead of three weeks.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just had a nice catch-up call with the GradRec team at Gibson Dunn. The firm continues to really impress me in the way they approach their graduate recruitment. Anyway, long story short is that they aren't making any decisions yet but are going to do everything they can to ensure an 'in-person' scheme happens at some point and wanted to get candidates' view on various things. At the moment it looks like the scheme will be pushed to August but we shall see what happens...
    I really appreciate their consultative approach - that's so lovely to hear :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Caitlin

Distinguished Member
    Mar 26, 2019
    Unlikely - US hiring is very different to UK hiring as they don't have the time lag and it is exceptionally more competitive than here in the UK.

However, there are some firms doing this and offering TCs instead - Hogan Lovells have made direct TC offers to some of their candidates who were supposed to be coming in for vacation schemes this year. Whether other firms do this will depend highly on how aligned their vacation scheme recruitment process is to their training contract process.
    Hi Jessica, to expand on this last bit - do you mean for example if a firm solely recruits through VS they’re more likely to make direct TC offers before the VS, or hold some type of virtual scheme and assess from this? Thanks :)

George

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 31, 2018
    Hey guys,

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during quarantine, both mentally and physically!

Just wanted to confirm that Travers Smith is now holding their scheme online as well, 1 week instead of two. However attendees will still be paid for the normal 2 weeks.

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Karin, Ifmhouse4, ROG and 2 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, to expand on this last bit - do you mean for example if a firm solely recruits through VS they’re more likely to make direct TC offers before the VS, or hold some type of virtual scheme and assess from this? Thanks :)

no - I meant that if their recruitment process is similar or identical for a vacation scheme as a training contract, then it is easier to justify just offering TCs out. If the recruitment process is more light touch (and that can still be the case even if you do the same exercises, as expectations can be lower for VS) then it’s less likely they will make direct offers with no internship/form of interactive or assessed online engagement.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Caitlin

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.