Bad A-level grades, 2:2 first year, insight schemes rejections - any way to help myself?

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
Hi all. Just finished my first year, got 53%. Was gutted because I thought I'd have scraped a 2:1, I received BBC in my A-levels. I am aiming for commercial law, however, I do have interest in criminal law (so if anyone has any advice for that too). I applied for a good six or so insight schemes with Law firms, that 'don't look at A-level results' being Macfarlanes, Mishcon De Reya etc. and had been rejected by all of them. I have not been able to get in-person work experience, I have a lot of virtual work experience. Attended virtual insight days. I have some extra-curriculars too.

Definitely will try and get a 2:1 next year, can't fix my A-levels. Any advice on what I can do during the summer? I don't want to waste my time. I've been asking local small firms for work experience, a few have said they're not offering any at the moment.

I know A-levels and poor first year grades are a delay in my journey, if anyone has a similar story of how they managed to get a TC would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My view is that the priority has to be getting your grades up first. I wouldn’t over commit to extra curriculars and work experience if that is at the expense of your academics - it will be important to get them to a 2.1 level first, and if you do, then spend time on other areas.

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
My view is that the priority has to be getting your grades up first. I wouldn’t over commit to extra curriculars and work experience if that is at the expense of your academics - it will be important to get them to a 2.1 level first, and if you do, then spend time on other areas.
If I get a 2:1 or even a first, by the end of the year - even with my A-level grades, is there a chance I can apply to big city firms? (Ones that don't look at A-levels)

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2022
Hey there,
Speaking for the solicitor side of things, a 2:2 and a BBC would not work well with magic circle and silver circle firms. Though, you might stand a chance to apply to smaller firms outside of the city.

With the summer, legal work experience should be at the top of your list but taking a leadership role in volunteering or starting a small business is just as helpful.

Good luck with everything! I would highly recommend speaking to your university careers service as well.
I thought if I got my grades up applied to big city firms that don't look at A-levels, I may have a chance.

Surely, my A level grades can't be the end all, be all.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I may be completely wrong (someone please correct me if I am wrong!!!!) but I'm not sure there are firms which "don't look at A-levels" in the sense that they don't ask for them or take them into consideration at all. I think almost all commercial law applications will ask for your A-Level grades as a factor in your application. Yes there are firms which have a minimum requirement of an AAB while others don't have a requirement, but I am doubtful as to whether not having a requirement means that they don't look at your A-level results at all - you just wont be automatically disqualified if you dont meet the requirement and dont have mitigating circumstances.

All that said, of course your A level grades are not the end all be all. I would say the best course of action is to focus on your grades in your second year and get you on track to obtain a 2:1 so that you have the most options available to you. As for the summer, any work experience is good experience that can help your applications, it doesnt have to be law related - a lot of firms maintain that working in customer service gives you valuable skills. good luck!

Last edited:

aspiringcatsolicitor

Jun 19, 2023
I may be completely wrong (someone please correct me if I am wrong!!!!) but I'm not sure there are firms which "don't look at A-levels" in the sense that they don't ask for them or take them into consideration at all. I think almost all commercial law applications will ask for your A-Level grades as a factor in your application. Yes there are firms which have a minimum requirement of an AAB while others don't have a requirement, but I am doubtful as to whether not having a requirement means that they don't look at your A-level results at all - you just wont be automatically disqualified if you dont meet the requirement and dont have mitigating circumstances.

All that said, of course your A level grades are not the end all be all. I would say the best course of action is to focus on your grades in your second year and get you on track to obtain a 2:1 so that you have the most options available to you. As for the summer, any work experience is good experience that can help your applications, it doesnt have to be law related - a lot of firms maintain that working in customer service gives you valuable skills. good luck!

You're definitely right about the fact most law firms look at applications as a whole. Unfortunately though, I have heard that many firms are quite strict with certain grade requirements- tho these are a select few such as the likes of Slaughter and May. There are a few firms that do that have grade requirements and therefore put less emphasis on academic performance hence you should compile a list of them and target those firms specifically. If you do have mitigating circumstances, this will help your case significantly.

Getting a 2:1 is definitely the start you need.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    My profile is literally identical to yours, and I have received a TC outside of London, and that was also not without difficulty. If you want to work in commercial law, your chances are 100% better outside of London. There are some city lawyers lawyers who have horrible A Level results, but have outstanding Uni grades. There are some people with bad uni grades who have amazing A Levels as a cushion. However, unless you have really serious mitigating circumstances, it would be very difficult for you to get a City TC, given that you didn’t do well in first year AND A Levels.

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    My profile is literally identical to yours, and I have received a TC outside of London, and that was also not without difficulty. If you want to work in commercial law, your chances are 100% better outside of London. There are some city lawyers lawyers who have horrible A Level results, but have outstanding Uni grades. There are some people with bad uni grades who have amazing A Levels as a cushion. However, unless you have really serious mitigating circumstances, it would be very difficult for you to get a City TC, given that you didn’t do well in first year AND A Levels.
    Whereabouts?

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Not being too harsh, although I would stress there is plenty of time for the OP to get their grades up and have a stronger academic profile.
    I supposed so my grades only increased slowly over the years. I got 56% in first year with one third and majority 2:2s in that year. I got 62% in second year with one module as a third and many 2:2s in that year. I got 65% in third year with 2 modules that were 2:2s and 68-69% in my final year, with an overall degree result of 66%.

Although most of the modules in my degree were squeezed in 1st and 2nd year, and I had much fewer modules in third and fourth year, so my modular grades looked awful and I was literally rejected from every law firm I applied to despite having the best written application answers ever.

If OP’s academic progression turns out to be slow like mine would he still have a chance with city law firms. Basically does the OP now have to get a 2:1 in every single module from this point onwards to have a chance in City Law? I feel like that would also be important information for them to know.

I definitely wish someone gave me this clarity when I was going through uni.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Whereabouts?
    I studied in Scotland, therefore I had the luxury of applying there. You would not be eligible to apply to Scottish offices unless you did your LLB from there. If you want to work in London, I would look at in-house legal departments or boutique firms at the west-end, although they may also be a stretch.

You could apply to some of the regional offices of DLA, AG, Shoosmiths, and CMS.

Otherwise look at other regional law firms in Leeds or Bristol, or any other city. However, you would have to show some interest in the area.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I supposed so my grades only increased slowly over the years. I got 56% in first year with one third and majority 2:2s in that year. I got 62% in second year with one module as a third and many 2:2s in that year. I got 65% in third year with 2 modules that were 2:2s and 68-69% in my final year, with an overall degree result of 66%.

Although most of the modules in my degree were squeezed in 1st and 2nd year, and I had much fewer modules in third and fourth year, so my modular grades looked awful and I was literally rejected from every law firm I applied to despite having the best written application answers ever.

If OP’s academic progression turns out to be slow like mine would he still have a chance with city law firms. Basically does the OP now have to get a 2:1 in every single module from this point onwards to have a chance in City Law? I feel like that would also be important information for them to know.

I definitely wish someone gave me this clarity when I was going through uni.
    I’ve recruited enough people without 2.1s in every module after their first year to know it is possible. It may just take a little extra time to get there for some firms.

Plus there are some city firms that won’t weigh academics much into the equation too. It really depends what the rest of your profile consists of.

PutItThereMan

Standard Member
    Jun 7, 2022
    I’ve recruited enough people without 2.1s in every module after their first year to know it is possible. It may just take a little extra time to get there for some firms.

Plus there are some city firms that won’t weigh academics much into the equation too. It really depends what the rest of your profile consists of.
    Do you have an idea of which city firms don't weigh academics much into the equation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you have an idea of which city firms don't weigh academics much into the equation?
    I am not close enough to the specifics unfortunately to comment on this. It might be worthwhile starting a thread and seeing if other members of TCLA have thoughts on this specific topic.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.