Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey Alice!

Something I've struggled with in interviews is the case study element of the study. I've just been so clueless about preparing for one, how to deal with one, how to answer one, etc.

Was hoping you could provide some guidance with this please, with Freshfields?

Thanks! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey Alice!

Something I've struggled with in interviews is the case study element of the study. I've just been so clueless about preparing for one, how to deal with one, how to answer one, etc.

Hi there, the FF case study is article based which does make it somewhat different to those with A&O and HSF for example. Do you mean an article interview or a case study pack? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey Alice!

for Freshfields, just read a good quality business section of a newspaper, or something like the Economist regularly. Pick themes/stories that interest you and read them - then consider the following whilst you do:

- what’s the key message of the article. If you had to summarise it in a sentence or two, how would you do it.

- what do you think the key parts/influences of the article are

- do you think it is well written/ what do you think of the article as an article/ what do you think so missing or could be delved into deeper

- how would a law firm be involved in a story like that

Badawy

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Hi Alice!

Reading through your answers has been incredibly insightful! The point about spending weeks on an application is something that I am beginning to realise, especially after having gone through first-year scheme applications.

As I have my first real application cycle coming up, I wanted to spend the summer really thinking about what 6 or so firms I want to apply to.

What advice do you have when it comes to deciding who to apply to? Would you say that there is a strategy to it, or should I just pick the firms that I am authentically attracted to?

Many thanks

P.S. My first post!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi Alice!

Reading through your answers has been incredibly insightful! The point about spending weeks on an application is something that I am beginning to realise, especially after having gone through first-year scheme applications.

As I have my first real application cycle coming up, I wanted to spend the summer really thinking about what 6 or so firms I want to apply to.

What advice do you have when it comes to deciding who to apply to? Would you say that there is a strategy to it, or should I just pick the firms that I am authentically attracted to?

Many thanks

P.S. My first post!
    Welcome to da club mate!! Good luck because this is a hell of a journey!!!

• Haha
    Reactions: Jaysen

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice!

Many thanks

P.S. My first post!
    Welcome!! I feel privileged you sent me your first post! :)

So this is going to be tricky advice given the current climate, but my approach was to go to every evening presentation event there was and I applied to every open day I could to try and meet as many firms as possible. I personally chose not to apply to any firms that I had not met and only applied to those I truly felt aligned with me and my values. I think the key thing is when you are at these events is going with the things in mind which matter to you and then try to ascertain to what extent the firms you are meeting marry up with that criteria. For me, for example, I was really keen to gauge the culture of the firms I was meeting because friendliness, being down to Earth and having a good sense of humour are so important and it was the most fundamental thing for me in this process. I was also keen to learn about the training quality/support, the work that is undertaken at the firm and also the initiatives it has i.e. mental health and women's networks.

The best thing you can do I think is to put yourself out there and do not be scared to ask the questions that matter most to you. This is a two-way street and of all the firms I met, I must only have applied to about 11 across two cycles. I know this advice is a bit difficult with the current pandemic but I think many firms are doing webinars and the like so maybe this would be a good way to meet them and ask the questions you have. Here is a link to our thread covering the opportunities available.
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-with-law-firms-updated-list.2293/#post-27311

I hope this helps as a starting point but the first part is to be introspective. What makes you the person you are and what values matter to you? Once you have this clearly defined you can start asking those questions to firms and seeing which of them might be the best for you.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and PHT

Badawy

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020
    @S87 Thank you for the warm welcome!

Welcome!! I feel privileged you sent me your first post! :)

So this is going to be tricky advice given the current climate, but my approach was to go to every evening presentation event there was and I applied to every open day I could to try and meet as many firms as possible. I personally chose not to apply to any firms that I had not met and only applied to those I truly felt aligned with me and my values. I think the key thing is when you are at these events is going with the things in mind which matter to you and then try to ascertain to what extent the firms you are meeting marry up with that criteria. For me, for example, I was really keen to gauge the culture of the firms I was meeting because friendliness, being down to Earth and having a good sense of humour are so important and it was the most fundamental thing for me in this process. I was also keen to learn about the training quality/support, the work that is undertaken at the firm and also the initiatives it has i.e. mental health and women's networks.

The best thing you can do I think is to put yourself out there and do not be scared to ask the questions that matter most to you. This is a two-way street and of all the firms I met, I must only have applied to about 11 across two cycles. I know this advice is a bit difficult with the current pandemic but I think many firms are doing webinars and the like so maybe this would be a good way to meet them and ask the questions you have. Here is a link to our thread covering the opportunities available.
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-with-law-firms-updated-list.2293/#post-27311

I hope this helps as a starting point but the first part is to be introspective. What makes you the person you are and what values matter to you? Once you have this clearly defined you can start asking those questions to firms and seeing which of them might be the best for you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such an insightful answer, I really appreciate it!

I think I definitely agree on the point about trying to get as much in-person exposure as possible. There's only so much I can learn from reading the literature available online.

The list looks helpful - I will definitely look into attending some of these events.

I also think that, probably, the part about introspection is the hardest bit. I've recently had to answer a 'Why Law' question, and its surprising how many assumptions I've made about myself unconsciously.

I will definitely keep these points in mind going forward!

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @S87 Thank you for the warm welcome!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such an insightful answer, I really appreciate it!

I think I definitely agree on the point about trying to get as much in-person exposure as possible. There's only so much I can learn from reading the literature available online.

The list looks helpful - I will definitely look into attending some of these events.

I also think that, probably, the part about introspection is the hardest bit. I've recently had to answer a 'Why Law' question, and its surprising how many assumptions I've made about myself unconsciously.

I will definitely keep these points in mind going forward!
    Absolutely! I was explaining on a call today that my answers to motivational questions like 'why commercial law?' probably took weeks of soul searching and introspection to really get to the heart of my reasoning. Sounds silly but think most good answers do take time to consider and ponder so that is good to hear!

Wishing you all the best and please feel free to post any follow-up questions into this thread - I really enjoy being able to help you guys and share what I have learned from these experiences :)

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
    Hi Alice,

The help you have provided in this forum so far is super helpful, so thank you so much for that.

I was wondering if you may be able to share any insight you may have into questions like "Tell us about a recent news story that is of interest to you and discuss its impact on the legal industry".

More specifically:

1. is this type of question one in which that is looking for a story that would effect one of a firm's key sectors in which they operate so looking at your research into the firm/ understanding of effects business have on the legal sector etc or, alternatively, its looking at the way in which the legal industry itself operates so likely change to more agile working etc?

2. I remember previous cycles stated references to Brexit were overused and often lacked imagination. Would the same apply to the impact of Covid-19 or would it very much be expected that we should base our discussion around it due to its clear long term implications and difference from Brexit which had been gong on for many years?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful tips or advice you might have!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Absolutely! I was explaining on a call today that my answers to motivational questions like 'why commercial law?' probably took weeks of soul searching and introspection to really get to the heart of my reasoning. Sounds silly but think most good answers do take time to consider and ponder so that is good to hear!

Wishing you all the best and please feel free to post any follow-up questions into this thread - I really enjoy being able to help you guys and share what I have learned from these experiences :)

A good task for the self analysis is using the 7 why’s approach... this can often really help people dig beneath the surface of their thinking and rationale, particularly for motivational aspects...

it’s explained here a lot better than I could explain it:

https://medium.com/live-your-life-network/asking-the-7-whys-to-get-to-your-truth-2707d743a818

Badawy

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice,

The help you have provided in this forum so far is super helpful, so thank you so much for that.

I was wondering if you may be able to share any insight you may have into questions like "Tell us about a recent news story that is of interest to you and discuss its impact on the legal industry".

More specifically:

1. is this type of question one in which that is looking for a story that would effect one of a firm's key sectors in which they operate so looking at your research into the firm/ understanding of effects business have on the legal sector etc or, alternatively, its looking at the way in which the legal industry itself operates so likely change to more agile working etc?

2. I remember previous cycles stated references to Brexit were overused and often lacked imagination. Would the same apply to the impact of Covid-19 or would it very much be expected that we should base our discussion around it due to its clear long term implications and difference from Brexit which had been gong on for many years?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful tips or advice you might have!

Thank you so much for your kind message! Such a lovely way to start the weekend :) :)

Absolutely!

So in terms of your first point, I would try to seek a commercial topic which you can relate back to the firm in some way or one which genuinely interests you if you can explain very specifically and personally why it matters to you and piques your interest.

To expand on this further...

If you are going to relate it back to the firm, I do not mean doing this superficially in the following way 'this is relevant to X because you have a strong disputes practice'. That won't necessarily blow them away. However, if you can ask the firm about task forces or teams it may have to handle different commercial problems this can often elicit more specific points and examples you can use. That way, you can discuss the issue and show your knowledge and analysis (why the issue really matters to a law firm and the wider commercial landscape) and you can discuss more specifically how the firm you are applying to is handling this issue in their own unique way. This is why it is so important to engage with firms and uncover these points of research which you cannot get online because it allows you to really stand out and show the depth of your knowledge.

If you are opting to relate it back to you, this can arguably be more tricky but might pack even more a punch. If you are going to go for this, make sure you can really intelligently discuss the issue and analyse it whilst making it so clear and authentic to why this matters and interests you personally. Again, by way of example, you don't want to be saying 'I found this topic interesting as I have always had an interest in X.' It really needs to be grounded in something. Did you do an internship at a tech company and you found a piece about privacy concerns and data interesting and can you really cleverly draw on your knowledge from that experience and contribute to the topic/argument?

I hope these tips help but crucially, you need to be tailoring it in some way I think to either the firm or yourself to really give yourself that memorability :)

With your second point, I can appreciate that this might be a little samey. If you are going to talk about these two big topics I think you need to do so in a new and fresh way. Many might discuss the issues and problems but they may not think to discuss the potential opportunities that can come from situations. The recent tie-up between AstraZeneca and Oxford might be significant because what if these academia/manufacturing relationships change the landscape of the pharma industry going forwards, perhaps for the better? I think you can discuss these topics but try to pick something specific, whether it be a deal inherent to them, the impacts on a certain sector you follow closely or even if you comment on some thought leadership - just try to think about how you can stand out from the crowd :) I do think there is a degree of risk in taking on these big topics but perhaps it would really pay off if you can add something new and original to the discussion :)

I really hope this helps and this advice is just based on my personal experience, what I have been advised in the past and, to a degree, gut instinct on what I would do. I know @Jessica Booker has a fantastic graduate recruitment perspective on questions like this so I am sure she can advise on anything I haven't :)

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi there, the FF case study is article based which does make it somewhat different to those with A&O and HSF for example. Do you mean an article interview or a case study pack? :)

Hi Alice! Apologies for not responding to this sooner - thanks for getting back to me!

From my understanding, the FF AC is three segments (general interview, written exercise, analytical interview). I was hoping you give some guidance on the analytical interview and written exercise? And more so, on commercial awareness. I've found it such a difficult thing to grapple with.

for Freshfields, just read a good quality business section of a newspaper, or something like the Economist regularly. Pick themes/stories that interest you and read them - then consider the following whilst you do:

- what’s the key message of the article. If you had to summarise it in a sentence or two, how would you do it.

- what do you think the key parts/influences of the article are

- do you think it is well written/ what do you think of the article as an article/ what do you think so missing or could be delved into deeper

- how would a law firm be involved in a story like that

Thanks @Jessica Booker ! This is super helpful!

Angiee

Sep 30, 2019
    Hi Alice, I hope you are keeping healthy and thank you for offering your time with this thread!

I was just wondering how you prepared for the case study activities? I feel really overwhelmed with the thought of not understanding certain things or not knowing how to tackle the task. Is there like a format you always follow when completing the case study?

Thank you in advance :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice! Apologies for not responding to this sooner - thanks for getting back to me!

From my understanding, the FF AC is three segments (general interview, written exercise, analytical interview). I was hoping you give some guidance on the analytical interview and written exercise? And more so, on commercial awareness. I've found it such a difficult thing to grapple with.

Thanks @Jessica Booker ! This is super helpful!
    Hi! @Jessica Booker has given great advice on this and kindly advised me to same and it is how I prepared!

I would also say that when you read articles, whenever you come across a word or concept you do not understand, create a bank of definitions you can keep adding to and can revise from because you might be asked what certain words mean and different definitions.

I also was very lucky in that my boss helped me prepare so we would both read an article and he would ask me all sorts of questions based on it - if you have a friend or family members who can do this I found this super useful. Premium members also have access to our virtual interviews where we do exactly this and walk through an article with candidates and ask them questions on it.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice, I hope you are keeping healthy and thank you for offering your time with this thread!

I was just wondering how you prepared for the case study activities? I feel really overwhelmed with the thought of not understanding certain things or not knowing how to tackle the task. Is there like a format you always follow when completing the case study?

Hi there!

This is quite a big question so I will aim to answer this fully after work today but thanks so much for asking and this is a great question!

Don't feel overwhelmed - I can absolutely help and guide you with preparation strategies but don't forget that luck does play a large part in any interview so the best thing to do it always just try to keep calm and do your best.

I will answer this as soon as I can :) :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Angiee

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Hi there,

So asides from article interviews I only ever prepared for M&A case studies. @Jessica Booker has duly noted that not all case studies are M&A case studies so please do remember that this advice is catered to M&A.

1. Start reading commercial news for ten minutes a day and be consistent. Strong candidates will support their points in case study interviews with real-life examples. so, if you recognise a competition concern in a case study you might want to reference something like the failed Sainsburys/Asda merger to substantiate and strengthen a point.

2. Look at the departments in law firms and understand what each of them does. This will allow you to go into the case study with a framework through which to think. If you remember about IP departments in law firms then your mind will trigger you to think about branding concerns or patents in a case study even if it is not explicit or obvious - this will show the interviewer you can think more broadly and beyond the scope of what is written if required. If you remember about disputes, then you might be better attuned if you read something which might subtly hint at a litigious claim.

3. Try to read thought leadership pieces and listen to podcasts about the trends and themes in certain departments: for competition you might want to explore the increasingly interventionist nature of competition authorities and think about the impact this can have - by mentioning these topical issues you can make yourself stand out. For M&A, you might want to look at shareholder activism and the impact of this too. There are many other issues and trends you can research which might give you helpful information which can be leveraged at the interview.

4. Look at share vs asset purchases.

5. Look at debt vs equity financing and understand the pros and cons of each and when they might be most appropriate

6. Look up the following and know what they are:

- warranties, indemnities and representations
    - restrictive covenants i.e. non-compete and non-solicit clauses
    - Look up what a non-disclosure agreement is and what heads of terms are.
    - Look up a balance sheet and just try to become more comfortable with what this is and what it shows.

7. Practise writing out diagrams which explain an M&A deal - try to have an understanding of the different parties, who they are, their motives and what type of transaction it is (i.e. share or asset) and how the transaction is being funded.

8. On the above, always consider what the motives are of each party - this is really important to show your understanding

9. keep your client's interests in mind - you will no doubt need to make a decision on this proposed deal - whether to advise for or against. Always remember you are acting in the interests of your client so try to balance the opportunity with risk and offer solutions. So many candidates can issue spot, but really strong candidates are those who can recognise issues and risks and advise the client as to how these might be mitigated.

10. Look up SWOT and PESTLE as these can offer you some more frameworks in which to structure your analysis and opinion whether the case study is written or presented. Always leave 7-10 mins to consider your structure and to make sure you have an opinion as this is crucial.

11. Don't forget to look at the price and any financials - they won't be too tricky but just try your best to weigh up whether you think the price seems reasonable/fair or not and whether there are any financial imbalances/issues you can spot.

I really hope this helps and sorry these points aren't especially well or logically structured but I just tried to write everything I can remember preparing for case studies.

As a note, I would also caution against listening to the experiences of others too much when it comes to case studies. The key to being a standout candidate in these interviews is being able to spot the original points and nuances which others might miss or which might be easily overlooked. Going in with prior knowledge can potentially blind-side you to these issues :)

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: O, kat_, SS1 and 11 others

Angiee

Sep 30, 2019
    Hi there,

So asides from article interviews I only ever prepared for M&A case studies. @Jessica Booker has duly noted that not all case studies are M&A case studies so please do remember that this advice is catered to M&A.

1. Start reading commercial news for ten minutes a day and be consistent. Strong candidates will support their points in case study interviews with real-life examples. so, if you recognise a competition concern in a case study you might want to reference something like the failed Sainsburys/Asda merger to substantiate and strengthen a point.

2. Look at the departments in law firms and understand what each of them does. This will allow you to go into the case study with a framework through which to think. If you remember about IP departments in law firms then your mind will trigger you to think about branding concerns or patents in a case study even if it is not explicit or obvious - this will show the interviewer you can think more broadly and beyond the scope of what is written if required. If you remember about disputes, then you might be better attuned if you read something which might subtly hint at a litigious claim.

3. Try to read thought leadership pieces and listen to podcasts about the trends and themes in certain departments: for competition you might want to explore the increasingly interventionist nature of competition authorities and think about the impact this can have - by mentioning these topical issues you can make yourself stand out. For M&A, you might want to look at shareholder activism and the impact of this too. There are many other issues and trends you can research which might give you helpful information which can be leveraged at the interview.

4. Look at share vs asset purchases.

5. Look at debt vs equity financing and understand the pros and cons of each and when they might be most appropriate

6. Look up the following and know what they are:

- warranties, indemnities and representations
    - restrictive covenants i.e. non-compete and non-solicit clauses
    - Look up what a non-disclosure agreement is and what heads of terms are.
    - Look up a balance sheet and just try to become more comfortable with what this is and what it shows.

7. Practise writing out diagrams which explain an M&A deal - try to have an understanding of the different parties, who they are, their motives and what type of transaction it is (i.e. share or asset) and how the transaction is being funded.

8. On the above, always consider what the motives are of each party - this is really important to show your understanding

9. keep your client's interests in mind - you will no doubt need to make a decision on this proposed deal - whether to advise for or against. Always remember you are acting in the interests of your client so try to balance the opportunity with risk and offer solutions. So many candidates can issue spot, but really strong candidates are those who can recognise issues and risks and advise the client as to how these might be mitigated.

10. Look up SWOT and PESTLE as these can offer you some more frameworks in which to structure your analysis and opinion whether the case study is written or presented. Always leave 7-10 mins to consider your structure and to make sure you have an opinion as this is crucial.

11. Don't forget to look at the price and any financials - they won't be too tricky but just try your best to weigh up whether you think the price seems reasonable/fair or not and whether there are any financial imbalances/issues you can spot.

I really hope this helps and sorry these points aren't especially well or logically structured but I just tried to write everything I can remember preparing for case studies.

As a note, I would also caution against listening to the experiences of others too much when it comes to case studies. The key to being a standout candidate in these interviews is being able to spot the original points and nuances which others might miss or which might be easily overlooked. Going in with prior knowledge can potentially blind-side you to these issues :)

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate all of the details you have gone into! Definitely given me a clearer idea on how to approach the case studies :)

Reactions: Alice G

Angiee

Sep 30, 2019
    Hi Alice, I was also wondering how would you answer/ approach the questions:

1) Describe a situation in which you feel most like yourself

2) what inspires you when you are doing your work

I feel like there's a lot of help available on competency questions but enough on strengths-based. Especially with these two, I am not sure how I would tailor it to law firms instead of giving a generic answer.

Thank you!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice, I was also wondering how would you answer/ approach the questions:

1) Describe a situation in which you feel most like yourself

2) what inspires you when you are doing your work

I feel like there's a lot of help available on competency questions but enough on strengths-based. Especially with these two, I am not sure how I would tailor it to law firms instead of giving a generic answer.

Thank you!!

These are interesting questions and not ones I have seen before. I don't think, however, that you need to tailor these to law firms. If this was me answering these, I would just try to be as honest as possible and authentic in the answers I give. Try and dig deep to consider what does motivate you in doing your work and was there a piece of work you have done where this was especially pertinent? I also think the first one is a good way to demonstrate a skill - do you feel most yourself when you are playing a sport? Playing an instrument? When you are networking? I really think you can be quite creative in these answers but just be authentic because I get the impression they just want to better understand your character, skills and motivation here.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Angiee

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.