Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Its often mentioned to have a few deals that the firm has worked on to highlight your interest in the firm, or use a particular deal the firm worked on to show your interest in a certain practice area - that's the angle I'm coming from

I wouldn’t choose US matters as you aren’t likely to be working on them unless there is a heavy element of the company/matter based in the U.K. Focus on the European deals and just think whether they might be U.K (eg are the companies/industries U.K. based). I am sure with a bit more subsequent research you’d find more detail if you weren’t sure.

Knowing matters that have happened means very little to be honest - the matter is in the past and you won’t be working on it. What you do need to think more about is the type of matters and why that appeals.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Its often mentioned to have a few deals that the firm has worked on to highlight your interest in the firm, or use a particular deal the firm worked on to show your interest in a certain practice area - that's the angle I'm coming from
    I'd recommend checking out IFLR1000 which goes into great detail about the deals a firm has worked on in a particular jurisdiction

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Zoo and Jessica Booker

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi @Osh - sorry for not getting back sooner. Thank you @Jessica Booker and @Daniel Boden for your insights and advice!

Yes, deals can be a way of discussing an interest in a firm but best to do so only if it is of genuine interest to you. For example, you might read firm news and come across a deal which relates to a sector you have worked in or followed for some time -this would be a better one to discuss and even better if you can give solid evidence as to why this interests you and substantiate this (i.e. referring to your work in the particular sector and what you enjoyed about it). It isn't advisable to refer to deals for the sake of it as it does not give the firm any insight into why it matters to you and they are trying to get to know and understand you better through the application itself. I would advise maybe researching the firm a little more and seeing what is being shared on LinkedIn and in the media as these resources can help to unearth reasons for your interest which might be more authentic to you and therefore better to discuss in an app. Best of luck and please feel free to ask any follow up questions should you have any :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Osh

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    I wouldn’t choose US matters as you aren’t likely to be working on them unless there is a heavy element of the company/matter based in the U.K. Focus on the European deals and just think whether they might be U.K (eg are the companies/industries U.K. based). I am sure with a bit more subsequent research you’d find more detail if you weren’t sure.

Knowing matters that have happened means very little to be honest - the matter is in the past and you won’t be working on it. What you do need to think more about is the type of matters and why that appeals.

Alright thank you, that's a useful way to approach it

Osh

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Hi @Osh - sorry for not getting back sooner. Thank you @Jessica Booker and @Daniel Boden for your insights and advice!

Yes, deals can be a way of discussing an interest in a firm but best to do so only if it is of genuine interest to you. For example, you might read firm news and come across a deal which relates to a sector you have worked in or followed for some time -this would be a better one to discuss and even better if you can give solid evidence as to why this interests you and substantiate this (i.e. referring to your work in the particular sector and what you enjoyed about it). It isn't advisable to refer to deals for the sake of it as it does not give the firm any insight into why it matters to you and they are trying to get to know and understand you better through the application itself. I would advise maybe researching the firm a little more and seeing what is being shared on LinkedIn and in the media as these resources can help to unearth reasons for your interest which might be more authentic to you and therefore better to discuss in an app. Best of luck and please feel free to ask any follow up questions should you have any :)

Thank you for this

Reactions: Alice G

christmastree123

Dec 24, 2018
    Hi Alice, I am writing my Freshfields application and I am struggling to answer the "Please tell us about any awards, scholarships or prizes you have been given in no more than 100 words", because I don't have any! Usually for other law firms with these types of questions they would include achievements and positions of responsibility (of which I have plenty!) but because FF doesn't include this I am not sure if I can write about my extracurricular achievements and responsibilities.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice, I am writing my Freshfields application and I am struggling to answer the "Please tell us about any awards, scholarships or prizes you have been given in no more than 100 words", because I don't have any! Usually for other law firms with these types of questions they would include achievements and positions of responsibility (of which I have plenty!) but because FF doesn't include this I am not sure if I can write about my extracurricular achievements and responsibilities.
    Hi there! That’s a good point, I suppose I’d be inclined to write in N/A if I couldn’t recall any because you’re right that the wording is more specific. @Jessica Booker what do you think about this? :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: christmastree123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there! That’s a good point, I suppose I’d be inclined to write in N/A if I couldn’t recall any because you’re not right that the wording is more specific. @Jessica Booker what do you think about this? :)

yes - I don’t think it is appropriate to put things in that don’t fit the category. You can list things from school/college and it doesn’t have to be purely academic - it could be arts/sports based too. Lots of people use this section to say things like when they got the highest mark in a particular module and that kind of detail too.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hi Alice, I read that you previously had an interview with HSF and was wondering if I could ask about your experience in the scenario section? Would you be able to outline roughly an example of a scenario that you were given and how you approached the questions? Really appreciate any help you can give!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    In all honesty
    Hi Alice, I read that you previously had an interview with HSF and was wondering if I could ask about your experience in the scenario section? Would you be able to outline roughly an example of a scenario that you were given and how you approached the questions? Really appreciate any help you can give!
    In all honesty, I really cannot remember too much about the details. I had a competition scenario and I was given an overview of the context to the issue and then the interviewer would basically offer more details and ask me questions on the back of that given info. It would keep going in that fashion really where it would be more and more developed and I would be asked questions on the back of this fresh information.

Sorry, I cannot advise any further but this was the format it took and maybe what to expect.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    In all honesty

In all honesty, I really cannot remember too much about the details. I had a competition scenario and I was given an overview of the context to the issue and then the interviewer would basically offer more details and ask me questions on the back of that given info. It would keep going in that fashion really where it would be more and more developed and I would be asked questions on the back of this fresh information.

Sorry, I cannot advise any further but this was the format it took and maybe what to expect.

No worries! thats still really helpful thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

Mr R0cCk0

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 6, 2020
    Hi Alice,

I have just started doing a TC application for Freshfields. Just a quick question:

Q) I see there are no standard TC questions and it allows you to submit a cover letter - do you have any tips for the cover letter? e.g. word count, structure, focus etc.

Thanks in advance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice,

I have just started doing a TC application for Freshfields. Just a quick question:

Q) I see there are no standard TC questions and it allows you to submit a cover letter - do you have any tips for the cover letter? e.g. word count, structure, focus etc.

Thanks in advance!
    Hey there,

I wrote a detailed post on how to approach the FF recruitment cycle, including the written app here:https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....erview-tips-2019-2020.1423/page-55#post-16889

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions. Their website also has a super handy guide to the app process which covers most of the things I have written about but you might also find this useful :)

****NOTE: on the application portal there is a link for you to download the personal statement template which you are meant to download and paste your written statement into, before reuploading it for submission*****

Mr R0cCk0

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 6, 2020
    Hey there,

I wrote a detailed post on how to approach the FF recruitment cycle, including the written app here:https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....erview-tips-2019-2020.1423/page-55#post-16889

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions. Their website also has a super handy guide to the app process which covers most of the things I have written about but you might also find this useful :)

****NOTE: on the application portal there is a link for you to download the personal statement template which you are meant to download and paste your written statement into, before reuploading it for submission*****

Hi Alice,

Thank you for your reply.

Although I have found the application guide which states the 850 word limit, I could not find a downloadable personal statement template. Any help? Thanks!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice,

Thank you for your reply.

Although I have found the application guide which states the 850 word limit, I could not find a downloadable personal statement template. Any help? Thanks!
    The downloadable template is actually in the application itself- when you are entering your application details and responses in the portal. The template isn’t on their website so far as I know :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    The downloadable template is actually in the application itself- when you are entering your application details and responses in the portal. The template isn’t on their website so far as I know :)
    Hi Alice,

Hope you are well.

Might be a silly question but for your personal statement for FF, did you sign off with the usual ' Thank you for your consideration.. Yours Sincerely', or do you suggest a different ending due to the fact they label it more of a personal statement rather than a cover letter?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Alice,

Hope you are well.

Might be a silly question but for your personal statement for FF, did you sign off with the usual ' Thank you for your consideration.. Yours Sincerely', or do you suggest a different ending due to the fact they label it more of a personal statement rather than a cover letter?

Many thanks!

definitely no need to sign off as you would with a cover letter.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi Alice,

Hope you are well.

Many thanks!
    never a silly question at all! I am sure that many people probably query the same thing so thank you for asking :)

I agree with @Jessica Booker, I just ended on my final point and that was that :) I also think you’ll probably find the word count is tight so good to squeeze as much content as possible since it’s not a letter :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.