Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
never a silly question at all! I am sure that many people probably query the same thing so thank you for asking :)

I agree with @Jessica Booker, I just ended on my final point and that was that :) I also think you’ll probably find the word count is tight so good to squeeze as much content as possible since it’s not a letter :)
Great, thank you so much Alice:)

Reactions: Alice G

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Hi Alice,

Congrats on your TC! I have a question about the education section of the application please. I have uploaded some screenshots for your reference. In the sixth form section, it asks for Scottish Higher Results and Scottish Advanced Higher Results. I don't know if this is a silly question, but where do my A Levels go? I didn't school in Scotland so I'm not sure whether to put my A Level grades in those boxes. Even if I do, there's only 6 boxes, whereas I did seven subjects in total (A Levels + AS). Further, where do I state which subjects are AS and which are A Levels?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.01 PM.png
    336.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.14 PM.png
    358.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 7.17.26 PM.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 35

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

Congrats on your TC! I have a question about the education section of the application please. I have uploaded some screenshots for your reference. In the sixth form section, it asks for Scottish Higher Results and Scottish Advanced Higher Results. I don't know if this is a silly question, but where do my A Levels go? I didn't school in Scotland so I'm not sure whether to put my A Level grades in those boxes. Even if I do, there's only 6 boxes, whereas I did seven subjects in total (A Levels + AS). Further, where do I state which subjects are AS and which are A Levels?
Thank you!

so I think the GCSE section looks ok, is that right? Are you able to log out and log back in again to check that it isn't just the form? I am not 100% sure if I am entirely honest as I would have thought there would then be an option for you to input your A levels.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Alice,

you must have mis-selected something. You wouldn’t be asked to provide Scottish Highers by default.

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Thank you!

so I think the GCSE section looks ok, is that right? Are you able to log out and log back in again to check that it isn't just the form? I am not 100% sure if I am entirely honest as I would have thought there would then be an option for you to input your A levels.

My GCSEs are fine yes, and yes I have signed in and out several times and it keeps giving me the Scottish option. I'm so confused

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I thought so too, but I have looked through the application forensically and there is nothing that I mis-selected.

contact them tomorrow - it sounds like a glitch no one else will be able to help with. It’s either that or trying to start a new application from scratch

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I thought so too, but I have looked through the application forensically and there is nothing that I mis-selected.
I totally echo what @Jessica Booker had said. It does sounds strange. I wonder if you want start a new app before deleting the old one and just transfer across to test whether the same thing happens? Then at least you can say you’ve tried a couple of times if you phone and can be certain it’s a glitch/bug in the system :)

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Thank you all very much! I was reluctant to withdraw my application and start a new one because I was worried that if I withdrew it, I wouldn't be able to start a new one but I will try that today! Grad recruitment suggested that I put my grades in the additional questions sections if the problem persists, so worst case scenario I will do that. Thanks again and good luck to everyone applying!

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hey Alice,

I have a question on lateral/internal partner hires. I have done some research and found the firm is quite keen on lateral hires. Would you say the advantage of this is expanding certain practice areas and their expertise builds up strength in certain sectors, am I missing anything? I know its not necessarily a point I'd make in isolation, just more in the context of areas the firm is strong in/expanding into.

Thanks in advance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey Alice,

I have a question on lateral/internal partner hires. I have done some research and found the firm is quite keen on lateral hires. Would you say the advantage of this is expanding certain practice areas and their expertise builds up strength in certain sectors, am I missing anything? I know its not necessarily a point I'd make in isolation, just more in the context of areas the firm is strong in/expanding into.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah that’s definitely a key motivation behind lateral hiring, it can also be that a lawyer has a strong relationship with a particular client and it is possible that client may decide to stick with that lawyers and seek services from the firm they go to then work for. This may not always happen of course, but the way working relationships manifest it could well be that a client seeks advice from their lawyers new firm as a result of their move. I hope that makes sense! :)

lateral hires I think in terms of research are just a good way to gauge a firms strategy to see which offices and practice areas they are bulking out :)

Reactions: c1070

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Some lateral hires are just to replace people though - it might not always be due to growth or expansion, sometimes it is as simple as replacing people, especially if they jump ship to another firm.

Reactions: c1070 and Alice G

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Yeah that’s definitely a key motivation behind lateral hiring, it can also be that a lawyer has a strong relationship with a particular client and it is possible that client may decide to stick with that lawyers and seek services from the firm they go to then work for. This may not always happen of course, but the way working relationships manifest it could well be that a client seeks advice from their lawyers new firm as a result of their move. I hope that makes sense! :)

lateral hires I think in terms of research are just a good way to gauge a firms strategy to see which offices and practice areas they are bulking out :)
Thank you!! That’s really helpful :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys,

When you completed the CRS survey, was the link still there? When I click the link it still asks me to fill in the information but I have filled it in twice now.
I can’t recall that detail, sorry. Though hopefully someone else will be able to :) if no one does on here it could be worth posting in the main ‘Hearing back’ thread :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.