2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NK

Distinguished Member
Jul 28, 2020
had JD interview today and i felt ....... attacked?! i’m too emotionally unstable for this
I felt attacked in my interview as well and was convinced the partners had already made their decision to reject me....three days later they offered me a place on the scheme.

sometimes it can feel like you’ve performed badly in an interview, but I would try not to overthink about this! I think it’s also important to remember that the firm are making a big investment/commitment when hiring candidates, so they want to make sure they truly get to know you as a person and want to see if you are 100% certain on the firm and the field. I hope it goes well for you, I am sure good news will be coming your way :)

Reactions: jan28 and Jaysen

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If law firms call you, do they usually on a private number? I've got a missed call but can't call them back - worried its the firm I'm waiting to hear on!
    Depends - some firms will call from a private number but others won't.

I've actually got a story about this that I was telling @Dheepa the other day:
    When I got my TC offer phone call, it came from a partner at Travers (let's call them J). J phoned me from their (work) mobile, made me my offer etc and we chatted for a bit. About a week later, I was down in Glasgow visiting my parents for a celebration after getting my TC. I get a phone call to my mobile about half 9 at night, a mobile number that I don't have saved. Pick it up and conversation goes something like this:

Me: "Hello?"
    Voice: "Hi, is this the Holy Cow Takeaway?"
    Me: ...
    Voice: "Hello? Holy Cow? I'm just phoning to order some food, is that okay?"
    Me: "I'm sure it would be, but unfortunately I'm not the takeaway - I'm Jacob Miller, think you might have a wrong number..."
    Voice: ...
    Voice: ...
    Voice: "Oh god, Jacob, I'm so sorry - it's J from Travers, was working late tonight and fancied a Jalfrezi, think I must have hit the wrong number in my call history. How are you doing, anyway?"

We ended up chatting for 20 minutes or so - I was in the middle of a house move when I got the first TC phone call so they were interested how it went, whether my family were happy/ proud etc that I'd got my TC etc. They even remembered that I'd mentioned that my fiancee was waiting on hearing back from a couple of firms about TCs, asked how she was doing etc.

Apart from being a decent story to tell, it also really affirmed to me that I'd chosen the right firm - the fact that they weren't rushing off the phone desperate to get away, remembered a lot of small details about things I'd mentioned to them in passing during the VS etc (even weeks later) showed how involved they were and how much of a genuine interest they had taken in everything we spoke about.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Is anyone still waiting on (all for summer):

White & Case post app (applied in November)
    Simmons post VI (completed in January)
    Norton Rose post WG (did it last week)
    Gibson Dunn post app
    Mayer Brown post app
    I'm waiting Mayer Brown post test (sorry- I said app I meant test), wasn't sure whether to email or not!

Last edited:

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Has anyone done the VE Partner Interview/AC and prepared a presentation? Do you send a PDF or the actual Powerpoint?

Also, just wondering how they bring that into the interview? Do you flick through the slides yourself?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it a big no no to have some notes during an interview? Little prompts or billet points etc.
    If you do, ensure they are very concise and well structured. You don’t want to rely on them, so they need to be key word reference points rather than word for word phrasing. If you rely on such “script” type approach you can come across as disingenuous as it looks like your thinking isn’t natural/at the forefront of your brain.

If you did do it, I’d go more with key word prompts and maybe in the following format rather than relying on paper on a desk:

1614787968607.jpeg

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I always have notes on one half of my screen and the zoom call on the other half. Just write them in bullet points and have it in a large font size so its easy to glance as a reminder and you dont have to read

I have the most ridiculous set up for this at the minute because I have a small laptop and a large floating monitor attached to a mechanical arm that clamps onto my desk (you can get them for between £18-£30 on Amazon and they are compatible with most monitors that can be separated from their stands).

I put the laptop in front of the monitor and raise the arm so the monitor peeks just above my laptop screen (where the webcam is). I can then talk confidently at the camera while staring directly at my notes without looking too shifty!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.