2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
Hi all just wondering for an upcoming VS- what is the difference in Chambers rankings between "UK-wide" and "London firms-wide"? Is the latter just more prestigious and a league above (i.e. Premier league vs. Championship) or is it because the actual practice area is London-centred?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Is anyone currently a paid subscriber to Watson's Daily? Thanks to recommendations on TCLA I have started listening to the free daily podcasts on Spotify whilst cooking my dinner which have been in my opinion a lot more interesting than the FT Daily briefings due to the discussion format and delving into topics in more detail and so I am considering taking out a subscription. Would anyone be able to advise if you think it's worth it?

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
Is anyone currently a paid subscriber to Watson's Daily? Thanks to recommendations on TCLA I have started listening to the free daily podcasts on Spotify whilst cooking my dinner which have been in my opinion a lot more interesting than the FT Daily briefings due to the discussion format and delving into topics in more detail and so I am considering taking out a subscription. Would anyone be able to advise if you think it's worth it?
I am a subscriber and I would recommend it. I am not sure how much it costs now as I am on the old subscription plan and pay £2.99 monthly but I think it is great value for money and really helpful. I also attend the weekly zoom meetings on Thursday which are for paying subscribers and I find that helpful too.

MzM

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2019
I am also subscriber, definitely worth it for £2/month. Also v useful to point you to the articles if you want to do more research on something they summarise in the daily newsletter!

Reactions: Kubed and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I am and think it's completely worth it - literally the price of a coffee for a month's worth of a really good commercial awareness resource! It's a no-brainer to me really and would highly recommend :)

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Does anyone know if Kingsley Napley fund the LPC because they've said they provide a "grant towards the study of the LPC" - which, to me, sounds like they don't actually fund the whole thing, they just contribute to it...but I'm not sure.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Does anyone know if Kingsley Napley fund the LPC because they've said they provide a "grant towards the study of the LPC" - which, to me, sounds like they don't actually fund the whole thing, they just contribute to it...but I'm not sure.
    Sigh. No GDL funding, only partial LPC funding, unpaid placements... it really looks like an amazing firm, I just can’t afford to apply there :(

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I just had a missed call from a mobile number I don't recognise (no previous texts from it or anything) and nothing coming up on Google. I thought it might be a firm calling but from home (although I assumed they'd have a redirect or something) - has anyone received their firms phone calls with a mobile number showing up? (I'm reluctant to phone it back because I don't know who it is).
    I had a TC offer from a partner's mobile once - there's a bit of a story goes alongside it, can see it here if you want a laugh.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    TS interview invite Thursday morning. No clue what to expect and would appreciate any guidance!
    Hey,

Congrats on the interview! All my advice for Travers would be contained in my interviews article which you can access via the link in my signature. You might also want to look at the Travers 2020-21 Interview Experiences.

In my experience of the interview (in-person), it was pretty relaxed and conversational. I got on really well with my interviewer which helped - but honestly everyone I've interacted with at the firm is genuinely really nice so you've nothing to worry about. Make sure your commercial awareness is good, have a real think about the morality-based reasoning questions, have solid justifications for the 3 Why's and make sure you're prepared to really justify anything you say as they'll occasionally press you hard on something which seems very innocuous to test you.

Other than that, just all the normal interview 'rules' apply really - be prepared as well as you can be, be on time, try and build rapport, be personable, ask decent questions at the end. One of the things I really liked about my Travers interview was that I was told my interviewer in advance so I could read their bio on the firm website etc, see their interests and recent work to specify questions more towards them rather than having to fling mud and hope it sticks.
    Very best of luck!

Reactions: Jaysen

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Sigh. No GDL funding, only partial LPC funding, unpaid placements... it really looks like an amazing firm, I just can’t afford to apply there :(
    It's such an annoying feeling isn't it... I would have LOVED to re-apply to the firm I was due to do a vacation scheme with last year, but after finding out this year that they only give a partial loan towards the LPC (not even a grant!) I realised there was no way I could self-fund it on top of a Master's no matter what kind of salary would be waiting for me out the other end! It sucks how the biggest barrier is sometimes not skill but money

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Side note, Ropes & Gray Grad Rec should get an award for efficiency.

They got back to all candidates within 19 days post app.

Got all ACs and all offers and post AC rejections out within 1 month of AC invites.

I don't think any other firm has it down to a tee like that:D
    Covington was the most efficient I have seen - all VS decisions were made within four weeks of the application deadline!

Edit: and they are non-rolling!

Last edited:
    Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

losinghope

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 16, 2021
    Does anyone know any firms that recruit from direct TC? I was thinking of submitting at least 5 direct TC applications but I'm an international student and don't know if any firms will sponsor. anyone got advice? should i just call it a day on this cycle?

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    Does anyone know any firms that recruit from direct TC? I was thinking of submitting at least 5 direct TC applications but I'm an international student and don't know if any firms will sponsor. anyone got advice? should i just call it a day on this cycle?
    You can refer to this post for the firms that would hire via direct TC.
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....minantly-from-vs-and-which-ones-from-tc.2545/

For international student sponsorship, I think you may email the Grad Recruitment team to confirm if it isn't indicated on their websites. But I'm sure some firms like Macfarlanes would sponsor and hire trainees from direct TC, you definitely still have a chance this cycle!

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Off-topic question but was wondering if anyone here has used the LPC answered guide for their core modules? If so, how did you find it?

I know materials are provided etc. but the sample seems to be clearer in its structure.

Thoughts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.