Abbreviating a firms name

Jessica B

Standard Member
Feb 16, 2019
I am applying to Charles Russell Speechlys and their application has a 200 word limit on the questions. I am finding it quite difficult to say anything substantive in 200 words without abbreviating the firms' name.

Is it okay to abbreviate the name after having said it once and included the abbreviation in brackets. i.e. Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS)?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am applying to Charles Russell Speechlys and their application has a 200 word limit on the questions. I am finding it quite difficult to say anything substantive in 200 words without abbreviating the firms' name.

Is it okay to abbreviate the name after having said it once and included the abbreviation in brackets. i.e. Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS)?

Chambers Student abbreviates the firm as CRS, so that's a good sign. It sounds fine to me.

Reactions: Jessica B and AJ

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    I didn't apply to to Charles Russell Speechlys but for my applications I wrote out the firm's name in full the first time I used it in the written answers (usually in the first question), with the abbreviated version in brackets - and then used the abbreviation any other time in my application where I used the firm's name.

E.g. "Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) appeals to me because..." and then "The calibre of work at CRS..." / "CRS is highly ranked in...", etc.

I think as long as you're consistent about it across your whole application, it'll be fine! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Eva, Daniel Boden and JL

Jessica B

Standard Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I didn't apply to to Charles Russell Speechlys but for my applications I wrote out the firm's name in full the first time I used it in the written answers (usually in the first question), with the abbreviated version in brackets - and then used the abbreviation any other time in my application where I used the firm's name.

E.g. "Charles Russell Speechlys (CRS) appeals to me because..." and then "The calibre of work at CRS..." / "CRS is highly ranked in...", etc.

I think as long as you're consistent about it across your whole application, it'll be fine! :)

Ah, I see, thankyou. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.