Search results

  1. D

    What are UK Modules?

    Yes, your courses are equivalents of modules, although admittedly in the UK we would have half of your number! :) With regard to the number of modules that you can put in your application - to be honest, in all applications I have made, there was always a room for dozens of modules, although...
  2. D

    SQE - general discussion

    I haven't seen any discussions about SQE here, so I thought it would be good to create a space where we can talk about the incoming changes to qualifying as a solicitor. We all know that LPC costs are unreasonably high (as much as £17k in London) and act as a deterrent for many people from...
  3. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    The deadline is actually 10 January! If you click on the link that is provided within the email inviting you to VI, it will redirect you to the page that specifies that you will have until 10 January to complete it :) (Please do double check it, though - I believe the deadline should be the...
  4. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    Sadly, I have no idea - this is the first year that DAC has introduced the VI stage. I can only assume that it might be similar to the ones that are used by other law firms.
  5. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    Hi Olivia, I also got a VI invite from DAC Beachcroft - congratulations to us both! :) As far as I know, this is the first year they introduced the video interview stage - I spoke to the future trainees and they said that they were invited straight to the AC, unlike this year...
  6. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    Not at all! I sent my application on 04 December, completed the online assessment on 10 Dec and received a confirmation that I passed the benchmark the following day. On a plus side, I have just received an invitation for VI with DAC Beachcroft! :)
  7. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    Actually, I have just received a rejection. Oh well. (it was for a spring vac scheme, btw)
  8. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    I first received an email with a report and the next day arrived another email saying that I passed the benchmark and that my application is under review. It was over two weeks ago, however, so I am kind of bracing myself for rejection since I have not heard back from them since...
  9. D

    Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

    I did a test a week ago and I actually quite liked it! I have already received an email that I passed their benchmark and that they will now screen my application... Oh well, fingers crossed!
  10. D

    How to get a paralegal role

    Admittedly, I did have some legal experience before landing my first post-grad paralegal role, but here are a few tips from me: 1. By all means, sign up with the agencies. However, bear in mind that far too often recruiters from the agencies do not actually care that much about finding a role...
  11. D

    Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

    Brilliant as always, thank you Jessica! :)
  12. D

    Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

    Hi Jessica! I am struggling with one question on the application form and hope you could help a bit with clarifying what is required here. The question is as follows: "What do you consider to be the key attributes of a lawyer in business? What kind of qualities and expertise do you think they...
  13. D

    Response times and firms that accept CV and cover letter

    Many US law firms tend to use the old-fashioned standard application form / resume + cover letter route without any online tests, e.g. Shearman & Sterling, Faegre Baker Daniels, Fried Frank, King & Spalding, etc. That's of course not a universal rule, but from my experience they are the ones...
  14. D

    DAC Beachcroft

    Thank you, Jaysen!
  15. D

    DAC Beachcroft

    This year, DAC Beachcroft has only one question in its application form which asks the candidates to tell in no more than 500 words why they they are applying to this firm. Can anyone advise what would be the best way to structure the answer? Although I am always relieved to see short...
  16. D

    Which law firms recruit on a rolling basis? 2019-20

    Strange! I contacted them about a month ago and received a response that "an early application is strongly encouraged" which I took as a confirmation that they recruit on a rolling basis (albeit not explicitly worded). I do not want to undermine what OBenson said in any way, but can anybody...
  17. D

    Burges Salmon question

    One of the questions that Burges Salmon is asking this year is: "As an independent UK firm what do you think are the main challenges and opportunities that Burges Salmon could face over the next five years?" To be honest, I am somewhat struggling with this question - there are some "obvious"...
  18. D

    “Potentially Excellent” Law Graduates - Non RG

    Hi Delicia, happy to chime in! :) c D.W., First Class LLB Law with International Arbitration and Commercial Law, Brunel University London, graduated in 2018 - Do you feel like your career team at university helped your enough: importance of vacation schemes, applying for TC, limits you may...
  19. D

    Happy World Mental Health Day!

    Alice, I absolutely second everything you've just said here :) I have been struggling with massive self-confidence problems for the past few years too. Last year I gave up with some applications half-way through because I could not see a point - in my mind, if I was going to get rejected, why...
  20. D

    Least time consuming initial applications?

    Based on the last cycle, I would also add: - Russell Cooke (why RC + why commercial law; 300 words each) - Faegre Baker Daniels (why FBD + hobbies; 250 words each) - Weightmans (commercial awaraness question; 500 words) - Norton Rose Fulbright (cover letter; 750 words max)