2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulApplicant

Star Member
  • Jan 20, 2021
    If what's worth, in my applications I always try to make a balance between law and non-law. So for bakers, the 'inspiring' section, I answered about an area of history that I enjoy and how it is relevant to this day.

I am literally on a VS rn and most of the convos I have with people arent about law, it's about them as people and their genuine interests. Striking the balance is key.
    Same for me - my 'inspiring' section was about my interest in film, so there was no link to law at all! Like others noted though, I did make sure to highlight other experiences (law/non-law and academic/extra-curricular) in the rest of my application so it's definitely important to find the right balance imo

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii and E.A

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Thank you so much. I will have TCLA review my application next time. Also how long beforehand should I have them review it? And who should I send it to? ! lol haha that's funny. I also find I hear positively from firms I don't spend much time on lol
    I try to make sure I have sufficient time to review their comments and amend my application (so what I did this time for BM was tight timewise, 2 days before only). You can submit on the TCLA website :) I TOTALLY recommend this as it improved my applications a lot!

m.aspiring.lawyer

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2021
    Just to reply to a few disheartened people - I truly believe that sometimes it is partly about luck

I literally did this app in a matter of hours and only had one of my friends from uni (who does an English degree) look over it for grammar and syntax, but the rest was just me scrambling to complete it the day of the deadline (like I legit sent it a couple hours before midnight, which was not my original plan, but I had COVID so)

Compare this to other apps I completed this year, where I used the TCLA service, asked others to read, spent weeks on the applications and didn't even make it post-app. But the VS offer I already have for this summer was also an app I sent 2 days before the deadline

honestly, this system makes no sense - I'm not saying I didn't work hard on the app (quality, not quantity, I suppose) but I definitely worked harder on other apps

but I will say, regarding the university thing - I don't think that's it either, because I don't go to an RG uni and my A levels weren't the best (extenuating circumstances though)

I also received my invite at 11.44am
    I completely agree - I didn't even proof read my app last year and sent it on the deadline day, managing to secure an AC. It really does just seems like the more time I put into my apps the more likely I am to get rejected at app stage, it's bizarre as you think the outcome would be the opposite.

Congratulations though to everyone that has the WG invite, they are a great firm and the recruitment process with them is really nice! If you want any tips about the VI, when you get to that stage, let me know as I was successful with it last year :)

Thanks all for your kind words - onto the next app!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I try to make sure I have sufficient time to review their comments and amend my application (so what I did this time for BM was tight timewise, 2 days before only). You can submit on the TCLA website :) I TOTALLY recommend this as it improved my applications a lot!
    Thanks for the info E.A! You're a star. Good luck with everything.

m.aspiring.lawyer

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2021
    I completely agree - I didn't even proof read my app last year and sent it on the deadline day, managing to secure an AC. It really does just seems like the more time I put into my apps the more likely I am to get rejected at app stage, it's bizarre as you think the outcome would be the opposite.

Congratulations though to everyone that has the WG invite, they are a great firm and the recruitment process with them is really nice! If you want any tips about the VI, when you get to that stage, let me know as I was successful with it last year :)

Thanks all for your kind words - onto the next app!
    I also think perhaps the reason I got rejected is because I haven't really managed to "improve" much since I last applied in terms of jobs and new experiences. Annoyingly I got offered a new job after I applied but I guess I will never know the exact reason!

For everyone that got the PFO - I thought the feedback generalisations they gave seemed a bit savage, or was that just me? 😂

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Thank you so much. I will have TCLA review my application next time. Also how long beforehand should I have them review it? And who should I send it to? ! lol haha that's funny. I also find I hear positively from firms I don't spend much time on lol
    They usually get back to you within 3 days I think so but gold members is 1 day I think so.

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I also think perhaps the reason I got rejected is because I haven't really managed to "improve" much since I last applied in terms of jobs and new experiences. Annoyingly I got offered a new job after I applied but I guess I will never know the exact reason!

For everyone that got the PFO - I thought the feedback generalisations they gave seemed a bit savage, or was that just me? 😂
    LOL they were savage hahaha

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    yea, I’m feeling this very strongly. I attended two open days with Baker McKenzie and toiled for weeks over the application. Nothing. Applications I did on the fly, I’ve got through to AC 💔💔

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    "poor attention to detail" did it for me, brutal - I meticulously edited and drafted that app lmao it was hard not to take offence!
    I know what you mean. I even had mine reviewed by a top US firm trainee lol So like telling the person I got rejected was even a blow for him 😂

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    Does anyone know if I can pay TCLA to review my application without purchasing a membership? I cannot afford the monthly subscriptions but would happily pay for a few applications here and there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if I can pay TCLA to review my application without purchasing a membership? I cannot afford the monthly subscriptions but would happily pay for a few applications here and there.
    Yes - you can purchase single reviews instead (at the bottom of the page).

Also keep an eye out for out for our scholarships in the future too.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I don't agree that they should be, but I think it's a sad reality that for *some* firms...they definitely are 😒. There are definitely factors that are a much better indicator of someone's ability to become a lawyer than the university they attended.

For some employers though, I imagine they just see Oxbridge or RG as being indicative of continuously good academic performance. Although when I started university (RG), I was told the standard of education between different institutions can vary so that might hold some weight too. Could also be absolute BS.

It's just so unfortunate that a system exists where some candidates are judged on things which may not necessarily reflect their individual ability. 😒

The standards definitely do vary. I studied a non-law subject at one RG university and then did a law degree at Bristol. I ended up getting the exact same grade in both courses. But due to the way they marked law courses at Bristol combined with the intensity of a law degree itself meant I worked at least 3x as hard to get...the same grade. So it definitely can vary.

Reactions: Anon 11031
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.