Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The standards definitely do vary. I studied a non-law subject at one RG university and then did a law degree at Bristol. I ended up getting the exact same grade in both courses. But due to the way they marked law courses at Bristol combined with the intensity of a law degree itself meant I worked at least 3x as hard to get...the same grade. So it definitely can vary.
What I would stress, is just because someone finds a subject more difficult, doesn’t necessarily make it more difficult for everyone. Difficulty is a very subjective matter, which is why trying to define someone’s intelligence by degree subject or university attended is pointless.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Guys I am currently applying for a direct training contract with Macfarlanes and W&C.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips on what made your apps successful??
Thank you on advance

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Guys I am currently applying for a direct training contract with Macfarlanes and W&C.

I was wondering if you could give me some tips on what made your apps successful??
Thank you on advance
For W&C, mention the international nature of the firm, the cross-border deals, any deals you found interesting (and justify) and most importantly, why it all relates to you. They pride themselves on their international nature, so if you can say you're interested in that PLUS why that makes you an excellent fit for the firm, that's a great point to mention.

Reactions: Mona321 and S87

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Hi! I'm new here. GDL at ULaw currently. I received BM WG invite today for TC and have been doing practice tests this evening... my scores have been horrendous, genuinely thought I understood what was being asked of me😭😭😭😭

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Good evening everyone. Congratulation to everyone who has received a BM WG this week and commiserations to all, like me, that did not - I'm still feeling it a bit, but am back on the horse (i.e. applying!).

Was wondering if anyone who has got past W&C's app stage before, could kindly help me with a question regarding grades. Has anyone got through the first stage with grades that are a bit hit and miss? I ask because while I've achieved a 2.1 and a Merit, my grades vary enormously and I'm wondering whether this is a large factor as to why I've never made it past the first stage.

Would be grateful for any insight on this!

Happy Friday!

Reactions: JoNo

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Good evening everyone. Congratulation to everyone who has received a BM WG this week and commiserations to all, like me, that did not - I'm still feeling it a bit, but am back on the horse (i.e. applying!).

Was wondering if anyone who has got past W&C's app stage before, could kindly help me with a question regarding grades. Has anyone got through the first stage with grades that are a bit hit and miss? I ask because while I've achieved a 2.1 and a Merit, my grades vary enormously and I'm wondering whether this is a large factor as to why I've never made it past the first stage.

Happy Friday!
    Hey - sorry to hear of the rejection from BM. It is great you are powering on, resilience is key.

Regarding your question about W&C (secured a TC offer with them), I know people at the firm and couple of my friends who secured ACs with W&C had sprinkle of 2:2s, one even had an overall 2:2 in his second year. It doesn’t purely matter about your grades, at least you have graduated with a solid/strong 2:1. They are looking for a candidate who can showcase their skills (check out their website) and they really pride themselves on their international outlook, so tie this in with yourself/own experiences. Like all firms they are looking for a well-rounded individual, academics alone do not define you.

If you want to chat further about this, PM me.

All the best with the application :)

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hey - sorry to hear of the rejection from BM. It is great you are powering on, resilience is key.

Regarding your question about W&C (secured a TC offer with them), I know people at the firm and couple of my friends who secured ACs with W&C had sprinkle of 2:2s, one even had an overall 2:2 in his second year. It doesn’t purely matter about your grades, at least you have graduated with a solid/strong 2:1. They are looking for a candidate who can showcase their skills (check out their website) and they really pride themselves on their international outlook, so tie this in with yourself/own experiences. Like all firms they are looking for a well-rounded individual, academics alone do not define you.

If you want to chat further about this, PM me.

All the best with the application :)
    Hi @JPH,

Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate both your advice and kindness. That's reassuring to know, as many on LinkedIn who have secured offers with them appear to be the crème de la crème (firsts and distinctions all round). Congratulations on your TC with them.

I may indeed take you up on this very kind offer :)

Thanks, again!

Last edited:
    Reactions: JoNo

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

Happy Friday!
    From what I have heard about White and Case they review your application as a whole and if you don't have good grades then you can still progress past the application stage. This is what White and Case are known for that they review the whole application regardless of grades. But make sure that your experiences make up for your grades like you should have lots of experience. I hope this helps.

Reactions: N.9

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it too late to apply for a Macfarlanes TC do we think? Also has anyone sent one to Dentons/heard from Dentons? Not sure if they are rolling
    It’s not too late at all. They don’t close until 31st July and most people won’t apply until they have this year’s academic results.

• Love
    Reactions: LeilaScott

RS31

Distinguished Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    I am preparing for my NRF telephone interview, I was wondering if anyone could guide me on how long an average answer should be? Is 2 minutes for an answer a good rule of thumb, or too long?

I ask, because I've made the mistake of having answers that are too long before and don't want that to happen again!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.