2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    It's a little difficult because the 3 year ones are things I did in my second year of university which ultimately ended up being a year I took a leave of absence.

It's a bit all over the place because of the deterioration of my mental health after an assault. Makes writing these forms a bit of a nightmare because it's only over the past year that I've been able to start getting back on track 😕
    Totally understandable given your circumstances! I was in a similar position when I broke my back, more or less had to cut a lot of stuff out my life to focus on recovering so lost a lot of time where I would normally have worked on more personal development stuff for apps! Life happens, I'm sure you'll do absolutely fine and crush the app! Very best of luck.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I am preparing for my NRF telephone interview, I was wondering if anyone could guide me on how long an average answer should be? Is 2 minutes for an answer a good rule of thumb, or too long?

I ask, because I've made the mistake of having answers that are too long before and don't want that to happen again!

Hey, I agree with Jacob on this. Don't focus on the length of your answer but the content. If you do feel like your answer is a bit long, the key is to make sure it's structured well enough so the interviewer can follow your thoughts. For what its worth my NRF telephone interview answers were rather long I think, but I wanted my answers to cover all the bases and it worked out well for me anyway. ☺️

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know WHEN (i.e. which month) White & Case actually make direct TC offers? There is no timeline on their website relating to the process, unfortunately.

So when I applied for their direct TC last cycle, I sent my app out in June, got invited to a VI in September and then I think I saw someone on the forum with a telephone interview in November? I think it's a really drawn out process with them. I also know someone who was made a direct TC offer with W&C and I remember her saying she received her offer after the second partner interview sometime in January.

Reactions: Linh Bui and N.9

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone taken the BM WG test before and could share how long the test is?

If I'm not mistaken you get the standard 30 minutes for 40 questions. Just thought I'd add for everyone with the BM WG, GR said at an Open Day that the pass mark for their WG in particular is set a lot lower than at most other firms. So I hope that gives you (and everyone else) some reassurance before you do it! ☺️

layk

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 16, 2019
    If I'm not mistaken you get the standard 30 minutes for 40 questions. Just thought I'd add for everyone with the BM WG, GR said at an Open Day that the pass mark for their WG in particular is set a lot lower than at most other firms. So I hope that gives you (and everyone else) some reassurance before you do it! ☺️
    Thanks for this! :)

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    So when I applied for their direct TC last cycle, I sent my app out in June, got invited to a VI in September and then I think I saw someone on the forum with a telephone interview in November? I think it's a really drawn out process with them. I also know someone who was made a direct TC offer with W&C and I remember her saying she received her offer after the second partner interview sometime in January.
    Thank you Dheepa!

YJyj

Dec 29, 2020
    Does it make sense to apply to W&C TC now if their deadline is all the way in July and they're not rolling? Also the case with many other firms. Or should one just use the time to work on the applications then submit closer to the deadline

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does it make sense to apply to W&C TC now if their deadline is all the way in July and they're not rolling? Also the case with many other firms. Or should one just use the time to work on the applications then submit closer to the deadline
    You could apply now if you wanted to stagger your applications. But at the same time, no issue with waiting until closer to the deadline which is still over three months away.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anybody got that list that says what TC applications are rolling and not. Thanks :)

Here ya go. ☺️

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Ugh, emailed a grad recruitment team at one of the firms I really like and they're doing direct TC applications for every office other than the Leeds one (which they recruit only from the VS for). Feels a little annoying that the decision is to allow TC apps for all but one office and since I can't complete a VS, I have to miss out.

Sorry for the rant, just sad as I really liked the firm :(
    Which firm is this ?

A

Anon 11031

Not to discourage you from applying but I attended one of their insight evenings and the HR said that they rarely take anyone from direct TC apps or maybe a single candidate.
    Whilst I understand VS's are a really useful recruitment tool I really wish there was a more balanced approach. Most people can't take large chunks of time off work 😔

Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it 🥰

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.