2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I am preparing for my NRF telephone interview, I was wondering if anyone could guide me on how long an average answer should be? Is 2 minutes for an answer a good rule of thumb, or too long?

I ask, because I've made the mistake of having answers that are too long before and don't want that to happen again!
    I personally would avoid being too wrapped up in timings and instead focus on trying to trim down answers so they're not waffly. I think content is more important here than length.

That being said I think 2-3 minutes has been recommended before

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am preparing for my NRF telephone interview, I was wondering if anyone could guide me on how long an average answer should be? Is 2 minutes for an answer a good rule of thumb, or too long?

I ask, because I've made the mistake of having answers that are too long before and don't want that to happen again!
    Don’t aim for a time. Some answer will be less than 30 seconds, others might be over two minutes.

Just focus on answering the question and ensuring it has a good structure.

Also remember that follow up questions could be asked.

JoNo

Legendary Member
    Jan 28, 2019
    Hi @JPH,

Thanks so much for this - I really appreciate both your advice and kindness. That's reassuring to know, as many on LinkedIn who have secured offers with them appear to be the crème de la crème (firsts and distinctions all round). Congratulations on your TC with them.

I may indeed take you up on this very kind offer :)

Thanks, again!
    No worries, and thank you! :)

Reactions: N.9

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    It’s not too late at all. They don’t close until 31st July and most people won’t apply until they have this year’s academic results.
    Oh amazing! For some reason i thought their window closed soon - do you think its advisable to wait until final results (so I'm less of a unknown entity as an applicant) or apply now pre finals to get my foot in the door?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh amazing! For some reason i thought their window closed soon - do you think its advisable to wait until final results (so I'm less of a unknown entity as an applicant) or apply now pre finals to get my foot in the door?
    Really depends how strong your academics are to date and whether this year’s results will be stronger.

• 🤝
    Reactions: LeilaScott

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    would anyone that's been successful with W&C be able to give me some pointers on my app? got rejected from the VS after emailing them upon seeing people accepting VS offers...so don't know if they even read my app or not :)

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know WHEN (i.e. which month) White & Case actually make direct TC offers? There is no timeline on their website relating to the process, unfortunately.

A

Anon 11031

Hey! Wondering if anyone has any advice on this. A work experience section for a firm (Pinsent Masons) says this 'Aim to use only your strongest examples, preferably from the last 2 years but feel free to draw upon all areas of your life including academic studies, sports & hobbies, previous employment etc.'

How important would you say it is to include examples from the past 2 years? I'm struggling to decide what to include because of the emphasis on the two years thing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey! Wondering if anyone has any advice on this. A work experience section for a firm (Pinsent Masons) says this 'Aim to use only your strongest examples, preferably from the last 2 years but feel free to draw upon all areas of your life including academic studies, sports & hobbies, previous employment etc.'

How important would you say it is to include examples from the past 2 years? I'm struggling to decide what to include because of the emphasis on the two years thing.
    It sounds like they want to find out who you are now rather than who you were in the past. But at the same time, considering a lot of people have not been in employment for the last year, I think there is flexibility.

To me, the older the example, the less relevant PM will think it is.

Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

It sounds like they want to find out who you are now rather than who you were in the past. But at the same time, considering a lot of people have not been in employment for the last year, I think there is flexibility.

To me, the older the example, the less relevant PM will think it is.
    Yeah, that's what I thought to some extent. So I've included 2 examples that fall within the two year period and two that fall just out of it (3 years). Do you think that's a good balance?

Thank you as always!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

My TI (for VS) with NRF, answers varied a lot in length just owing to different types of things being asked. I would say answers will be 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the question! Hope this helps.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Yeah, that's what I thought to some extent. So I've included 2 examples that fall within the two year period and two that fall just out of it (3 years). Do you think that's a good balance?

Thank you as always!
    I would probably aim for 3+1 but I think 2+2 would be okay so long as you really emphasise the relevancy of the older ones so they don't seem redundant.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.